Nobile board
Surftech boards and SUP:s
Brand Affiliation: Ozone Importer
Nobile Importer
Surftech Importer
Been thanked: 0

Linelength for all brand kites?

Postby Mlkman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:58 am

It would be beneficial to know how the lines are set up for different brands. That way you change based on availability/price or quality, regardless of you brand kite. Can you help me with your brand?

It would be great if all brands just decided to make the lines equal between back and front lines. Today it is hard to find any info about the relation between them.

Lines I already know are exactly same in front and back:
Ozone (all years)
Slingshot
RRD
Naish
Ocean Rodeo
Cabrinha untill 2008 (verify please?)

Lines that are NOT the same in front and back:
Cabrinha 2010 (how about 2009?)

PS. It is ONLY the length of the actual lines, and the relation between front and back. Its easy to check .Stretch out the flying lines (the approx 20m lines) next to each other and see if they are same length by where they are tied to the leaders on the bar. Its easy and takes a second if you are two.

(Editing as we go, thanks guys.)
Last edited by Mlkman on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jedi1
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Linelength for all brand kites?

Postby jedi1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:10 am

RRD and Naish are the same length too.

flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider
Has thanked: 0

Postby flyrob » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:26 am

Ocean Rodeo are the same.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Hey,

The older Cabrinhas I have are the same length. (2006 Crossbow and 2008 Omega)

Clew In

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:18 pm

MLkman,

I would guess that the modern trend toward using safety systems which employ the short (about 3 meters) "false fifth line" ( "life line", "IDS line", "Red line", etc) may account for the fact that the 2 front lines are shorter than the 2 back lines. In these safety systems, the front lines are joined to the power line adjuster, by a long (2and 1/2 meter) single leader line. The manufacturers may not want to put long leaders on the rear lines, but this would correct the problem, and allow all 4 kite lines to be equal length.

This trend does mean that a kiter will no longer be able to switch the 2 front lines with the 2 back lines, in order to extend the life of the line set...or to make up for the difference in "stretch" , as the front lines are subjected to more force, causing then to stretch more than the back lines.

It is not hard to make your own long leader lines, and place them on your bar, as a substitute for the standard short rear line leaders. If you do this, then, you can use front and back lines of equal length. Also, you can always make up your own replacement lines from "Q Power" line.

Thanks for bringing up this issue.

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Sorry then, I misunderstood the question. RRD Lines are not equal, Naish lines in new bars aren't equal too.

matt at jibe's
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mui ne viet nam
Favorite Beaches: mui ne beach; hon rom/ Mack beach, Suoi Nuoc (viet nam)
enshuu beach in Hamamatsu, Japan
Tenryuugawa beach in Hamamatsu, Japan
Manta, Ecuador
Style: snowboard/old school/surfboard
Gear: Airush lithium in smallest sizes, f-one bandit, RRD etc
boards: Xenon!
Brand Affiliation: as chief instructor at Jibe's in Mui Ne, Viet Nam
we carry airush/f-one/prolimit/etc

Postby matt at jibe's » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:55 am

Milkman,

Same holds true for Bandit (f-one) and Airush (SMART bar): Front lines are shorter because they attach to a single front line on a "false fifth line" system.
If I rememember right, older RRD's like the Hypertype also had front lines shorter than the back lines as they were using a similar system. Straight C kites are probably both the same length.

Kitezilla is right about making your own leader line with Q-power, I'd add to that and say that you can also use 2 or 3mm bridle lines as leaders (sold by the meter in some shops, or salvage them from a broken kite). If you have removable pigtails you can even just cut up regular kite line to make up your leader extensions. Just tie your loops with a figure 8 knot, they don't need to be sleeved, I've been doing it for years and never had a break at the knot there.

It makes it easier to switch your lines around when you're experimenting with different line lengths.

If you're playing around with lines shorter than about 10-12 meter lines, though, a "false fifth" system with extended back leaders won't have enough length in the front lines to spread out sufficiently before they get to the kite, and the kite won't fly properly.

Matt-0

Return to “Kitesurfing”