Forum for kitesurfers
Chriskef
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bar compatibility info needed

Postby Chriskef » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:31 pm

I'm a regular visitor to KiteForum & I noticed there are lots of posts from members who want to know if their bar will work on another brand of kite. I too have the same question and having asked some dealers about compatibility, they never gave a definitive answer. I understand why they wouldn't do this but it is annoying that there's no standard or compatibility chart. Bar systems now make up around a third of the overall price of your kite kit so being able to use existing bars on new kites would help a lot.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Bar compatibility info needed

Postby kitezilla » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Chriskef wrote:
there's no standard or compatibility chart.
"COMPATIBILITY" covers a lot of ground.

(1) Can the lines be properly connected? For instance...goof-proof connectors may prevent this kite from even hooking up to the bar and line system.

(2) Will the kite perform properly when flying? For instance...unequal front and back line length may prevent properly powering and depowering the kite.

(3) Will the safety system work? For instance...using a rear line "Oh Shucks" handle may throw a bow kite (with front and back lines connected by a pulley system) into fully powered spirals.

The first step toward making up such a "compatibility" chart would be to list all the pertinent factors, starting with the three I have given, as an example......BUT, even if you had a complete list, and everything matched up as being comparable, a smart kiter would still want to check out everything...and to do this, the kiter would have to completely understand the principles that allow a kite to safely and correctly function.

Chriskef
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bar compatibility info needed

Postby Chriskef » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. Addressing the 1st point you made, my North lines consist of both a loop with a knot at the end. Presumably this is so that it may used for either connection type. Looks like a simple solution.

I understand there are a no. of variables here. But it is fact that some bars will work with multiple brands. So a list of these is all that I'm asking for. A cast iron "yep, no problem with that" from the manufacturer is all. Manufacturers know that riders mix and match bars & kites, so why not have them, the industry experts provide a guideline as to which ones work and which don't. Would be a lot safer too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”