Postby lisaped » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:47 pm

SS Rally is da.kite

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which kite eats up gust?

Postby SBBeachbum » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:52 pm

marlboroughman wrote:Generally try freeride kite that flies far upwind in the wind window. The best kites ever made with this gust eating quality were five line Ozones. Try one if you still find a guy on it who knew how to maintain the line length on them. The fronts used to stretched on them so they became dead after first season with no maintenance. They don't make them with five lines anymore so it is not the same. Four line bridles are on and off and don't have the same smooth power delivery.
Agree. The original 2006 Instinct was outstanding in destroying gusts, crappy bar/safety and dismal relaunch aside.

Gebi
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Gebi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:08 pm

Slingshot Rally- 8 meter- Nice job TL. completely sick kite at eating gusts. 15 to 40 knots here in Luderitz Namibia- second lagoon where I have been riding and coaching speed kiter Rob Douglas. Check out some speed on the www.nassp.net blog.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:27 pm

This is a good question, but perhaps the general design breed of a kite is less important than the detailed execution of that breed. ( there is more differences between individual dogs than breeds of dogs).

Another question is " what is gusty"- I´m not a meteorologist- but seems to me that wind is gusty, changing directions, and turbulent at various altitudes ( 0-30 meters up). It changes speed, directions, and is swirling around. All of this is what we get up here on gnarly days.

My feeling is that a kite that has a shape that is more "C" and and supported by wind forces and bridles on LE, and larger LE diameter, is more stable than a kite supported by bridles only.

After 10 years of hit and miss on kite purchases i tend to lean towards bridle supported LE with a basic shape more C shaped and not too thin LE. These tend to jellyfish less.

That said i have a 2009 Best HP 10 with thinnest LE of any kite that is a great kite- and works well in moderate gusty conditions, but not in variable speed- direction- turbulent conditions.

Problem is that kite R&D is not done in 25-35 knots of wind in scandinavia, But so-called gusty conditions of tropic-temparate regions. They need to have these extreme test centers like the car manufactures have to test cars in extreme winter conditions.

Like: http://www.arjeplogtestcenter.com/

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:08 pm

The best gust absorbing kite that I've flown for a few years is the 2011 Ozone Catalyst, and yes I sell them.
Its a 3 strut SLE design, this years kite is fast, pivotal turning, no tip fluttering in turns, very easy relaunch and self launch and landing, jumps high, hang time not quite as good as other 2011 kites I've tried, but as a fun all rounder its awesome and will be my kite of choice this season.

p__han1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island, GA
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Cabarete
Tybee Island, GA
Sullivans Island, SC
Islamorada, FL
Huguenot park, FL
Style: wake/surf/big air!
Gear: 2012 Slingshot fuels 9m and 13M
2011 Slingshot fuel 7m. I need an 11!
Supershinn
Slingshot asylum
5'11" Slingshot Celeritas
5'11" slingshot tyrant
Ion apex harness
Brand Affiliation: AOK Team Rider

Postby p__han1 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:47 am

I'm in favor of a higher aspect kite. I find that they have a lot better top end and when a gust hits you get a really smooth acceleration rather than a violent jerk possibly off your edge. Mine jump really high too which is nice! (also in 30-35 knots you're going to jump really high anyways!)

Return to “Kitesurfing”