Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone Zephyr + Cat12 + Cat8 , Spleene RIP HT 37
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SS Arcane lightwind??

Postby Zerblatskij » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:00 am

Hi guys,

Has anyone found a review written about the Arcane regarding its lightwind planing ability? Obviously marketed as a Surf board i wonder about the rocker line efficiency for lightwind. Watching the video presentation one can clearly see there is tail rocker(tail lift the last foot).

Anyone tried it with the bigger fins??

Cheers
Bjorn

aolive
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: SS Arcane lightwind??

Postby aolive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:46 am

Hi Bjorn,

I bought an Arcane for light wind. I use that and my 12m Screamer and can ride upwind in light wind with the best of the 14m kites and the door. It also is a lot more fun than a flat board. The large fins are nice for when the wind picks up or you take it in to surf. The thickness of the board make it a little harder to edge in the stronger wind, but the buoyancy is what makes the difference in the light wind. I just switch to my 129 lunacy when the wind picks up and it does the trick.

-Andrew

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:16 am

What larger fins are you using? Are you switching out all the fins? Where did you get the larger fins?

Zerblatskij
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Hollviken, Klagshamn
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone Zephyr + Cat12 + Cat8 , Spleene RIP HT 37

Postby Zerblatskij » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 am

The guys at Slingshot said that ideal is to ride the board flat. The outline and volume would IMO give it away as a race board with manouver/downwind friendly tail - ridden flat and driven off the fins. I saw a pic of the Arcane rocker line the other day and i think although it has surf rocker it should still have early planing and speed abilities making it very efficient, the tail lift on the last foot seems to be well under 1/3".

- How good is the Arcane at early planing - say 8-9 knots, kite just flying reliably?
- Did you try to drive it off the bigger fins sailing the board flat?
- What about footstraps??

Cheers
Bjorn

aolive
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby aolive » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:02 am

Hey Guys,

These are the longer fins you want to check out. They are the standard surf fins from slingshot. I was on my arcane againg this Saturday. I was one of two people having a great session. One guy was on a 15m Hifi and a 138 twin tip. I was on the 12m Screamer and the SS Arcane. I had the standard 4 smaller fins on the board, but wish I would of had the larger ones as the swell was decent and the tail wanted to slide out a little too easily.

Return to “Kitesurfing”