The World's Fastest Kite. Period

Forum for kitesurfers
gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The World's Fastest Kite. Period

Postby gbleck » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Cab Driver wrote: On a more positive note, this probably isn't the end of the speed sailing battle. These rich backers in the sailing community poured millions into a new hydrofoil sailboat that should be capable of these current speeds. It will be another round of David versus Goliath next year as these ultra competitive athletes push the limits of speed on the water. Way to go Kitesurfing and way to go Rob!!
If you are refering to Hypotre 2 no it is not being built to break the 500m record. It is a smaller version and test platform for a round the world record. That boat will be Hp3.

patrickrynne
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Biscayne Bay
Style: Racing & Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbows
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Adventure Sports Miami, Kiteracing.com, Patagonia, Kaenon Polarized

Postby patrickrynne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:22 pm

i find it funny that when you talk to sailors who kite...they have no opinion either way whether kiting is "officially sailing" or not....they just like being on the water

but for some reason when I refer to kiting as "sailing", often times the "core" kiters flip out and nearly scream "kiting isn't sailing!!!!"

who cares what you call it....it's fun

KingAstra
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KingAstra » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:34 pm

kiting isn't sailing!!!! :wink: :D

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:58 pm

KiteboardingTampaBay wrote:Each one of you has twisted my point into something that its not, rather than addressing my question.
Its not about the racing at all- its about the ad.
We'll square up on the insults another day, next rounds on me... :wink:
i'll take a stab a this, but i'm sure you'll hate my response because i'm a cabrinha dealer. here it is.

You HATE the ad.

did i get that right?

if so...don't read the ad. simple solution. it's just marketing ,but must be one of those things where a company jumped on a good ad and it's just grinds you, huh? it's just an ad dude.

question...do you have any affiliations at all with brands or shops? just wondering where the hate is coming from.

you're hate has nothing to do with crossing off kite and replacing it with sailing device.

it's cool to hate, but at least tell the true reasons why.

btw...i was also quite shocked to see it the S-blade that Rob used.

Just goes to show ya. go with what works.

off to do my breathing exercises.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Rob had been using a Crossbow with a modified bridle from what I've read. I'm guessing maybe they took the pulleys out to make it less sensitive with more feel, and reset the bridle to work better off the wind, but that's just a guess.

The Switchblade may be better because the profile is less of an upwind kite and more downwind, especially now the Crossbow is becoming more race oriented.

hombrekiteloop
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Too many to list in Auckland NZ, currently Kite Beach Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Style: Freeride, Big Air, Learning Surf
Gear: Best Kites 08 Nemesis 12m, 09 Nemesis 8m &10.
Underground FLX 132
Best 6'1" Thruster

Postby hombrekiteloop » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:03 pm

I’m also surprised he used a Switch Blade. I imagined that the fastest kites would be those that go upwind the best i.e. fly well and pull hard at a very low AOA. Surely at these speeds just about any angle is upwind. In 45kn true wind and a 56kn ground speed, the kite must have been flying through the air at around 70kn and the apparent angle would be well forward.

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:04 pm

What kite size did they use ?

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:05 am

The KITE guy, Rob Douglas, who set a new world's speed record for any and all wind powered craft on water, ie: world sailing speed record, used a Cabrinha 9m SB.
Steve

peterbjarke
Medium Poster

Postby peterbjarke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:36 am

The apparent wind is much much less than 70 knot! The course is so down wind (150 degrees) thay the appparent wind is only around 25 knots at 50 knot speed with a true wind at 40 knot. See forexample http://www.sailingusa.info/true_wind_calculator.htm
hombrekiteloop wrote:I’m also surprised he used a Switch Blade. I imagined that the fastest kites would be those that go upwind the best i.e. fly well and pull hard at a very low AOA. Surely at these speeds just about any angle is upwind. In 45kn true wind and a 56kn ground speed, the kite must have been flying through the air at around 70kn and the apparent angle would be well forward.

peterbjarke
Medium Poster

Postby peterbjarke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:39 am

Ps
Congratulations to all the record breakers and Seb and Sophie for the successful event :D
peterbjarke wrote:The apparent wind is much much less than 70 knot! The course is so down wind (150 degrees) thay the appparent wind is only around 25 knots at 50 knot speed with a true wind at 40 knot. See forexample http://www.sailingusa.info/true_wind_calculator.htm
hombrekiteloop wrote:I’m also surprised he used a Switch Blade. I imagined that the fastest kites would be those that go upwind the best i.e. fly well and pull hard at a very low AOA. Surely at these speeds just about any angle is upwind. In 45kn true wind and a 56kn ground speed, the kite must have been flying through the air at around 70kn and the apparent angle would be well forward.

Return to “Kitesurfing”