Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Equipment failure!!

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:30 pm

Metal spreader bar snapped on me today. It sucked bad. I was forced to make quick decisions, and I made the wrong ones. I still had my kite in the air, after it snapped off. I was riding suicide. I had 20 sec to decide board or no board. I decided to grab board, and kite went down. Then I had to swim 200 yards to shore. Friendly kayakers helped me out. One got my board from me, and the other paddled me in a ways after I ditched my kite.

I could have powered to shore, holding the chicken loop. Then asked the kayakers to grab my board. We are all regulars at the beach, and it sure does pay to be friendly to everyone.

Check your spreader bars!! Its a 20$ part that I will be changing more often. Almost like the oil in my car. Funny thing is..... 2 weeks ago I was looking at it, saying ya know its time for a new spreader. Not because it looked worn, because I wanted a newer style, with a slimmer hook. Anyway just wanted to post this. I thought it was pretty crazy that the metal snapped clean.

Andy

vindsportknut
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Equipment failure!!

Postby vindsportknut » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:09 am

Spreaderbar twice.
First time the hook just fell off in happily low wind. I grabbed the leash which was also fastened in the hook. The kite went down and the session was over. No major issue other than "Check your spreaderbar often"

Second time the bar was nearly broken. I saw a strange angle at one side and a close inspection revealed a crack covering 2/3 of the welding at the spreaderbar ending.

Once is coincidence. Twice is suspicious....

007 has a saying about things occurring, doesn't he?

John0
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010

Postby John0 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:45 am

damn man that sucks. did you lose the kite?

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:58 am

No I didn't lose the kite. I was holding onto the chickenloop, and it was dragging me toward shore. I wanted to hold on as long as possible. I pretty much knew I was ditching, but it went alittle prematurely. Once I got into the break zone,(small waves) I went for my frontline safety and it slipped from my hands before I could attach my leash to it. It was all wrapped up, and totally not going anywhere, as each wave rolled it.

The worst part was getting to shore, so hurting and outa shape, digging the kite outa the shore break. Picture this really sorry run/jog toward my kite that is buried in the shore break. As if running to it was going to save it.

All the gear is fine. In the morning i will inspect my kite and dry it out.

It was nice out today, but the water is getting cold. Be careful out there. Big lesson today. Anything can happen out there guy and gals, today is just another story for me to tell.

Andy

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:19 am

A friend of mine was unloading stuff from the truck and tossed my harness on the ground spreader bar hitting cement! It broke a few sessions later! I am very careful with mine now!

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: slingshot, flysurfer, switch, ocean rodeo

Postby papasmerf » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:57 am

about 2 weeks ago, i was out in fairly tough conditions, survival kiting really and after about an hour i had had enough. as i was coming in, my kite just suddenly released! and it went to safety. figured the release had malfunctioned or something,,,so i pulled the bar back in,,and the CL was still closed which seemed odd to me. so i go to hook it back on my spreader bar hook,,,ANDTHE HOOK WASN'T THERE!!! wonder who makes the most bomber spreader bar??

what if it breaks at the top of a jump sometime, that could really hurt.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:06 am

vindsportknut wrote:Spreaderbar twice.
First time the hook just fell off in happily low wind. I grabbed the leash which was also fastened in the hook. The kite went down and the session was over. No major issue other than "Check your spreaderbar often"

Second time the bar was nearly broken. I saw a strange angle at one side and a close inspection revealed a crack covering 2/3 of the welding at the spreaderbar ending.

no that is no coincidence..I had my spreaderbar go every three months. You are talking about the pivoting dakine one...

the reason it goes according to a friend of mine that knows something about welding (I don't) is that they use different metals in the weld...and that the what they are welding different thickness...or something along those lines...

I gave up on those spreader bars...I must have run through half a dozen...they are made for skinny small guys.

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:51 am

tautologies wrote:
vindsportknut wrote:Spreaderbar twice.

no that is no coincidence..I had my spreaderbar go every three months. You are talking about the pivoting dakine one...

the reason it goes according to a friend of mine that knows something about welding (I don't) is that they use different metals in the weld...and that the what they are welding different thickness...or something along those lines...

I gave up on those spreader bars...I must have run through half a dozen...they are made for skinny small guys.
I had 2 of them pop apart. Now I use a Slingshot surefire with a built-in quick release. So far no problems.

I don't mean to steal the thread, but does anyone know of any other brand with a built-in quick release ?

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

oskarryden
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ringsegård, Skrea strand, Apelviken
Favorite Beaches: Apelviken
Style: Wake and freestyle
Gear: RRD Obsession 9 & 12 and Nobile 50fifty 139 cm

Postby oskarryden » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:28 am

Same thing happened to me last summer. Fortunatly I was close to the beach so went back and landed with the hook on spreader bar dangeling from the CL. Phew. Hate it when gear breaks!

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:21 am

I would like to add our experience of spreaderbar makers giving answers about your problem.
The steel is strong and weldings are not the problem, the problem are micro bending of the hook.
The kite pull charges a lot of weight on the hook, mainly up/right/left directions and this creates the micro bendings and after hours of usage it brakes. To avoid micro bendings the hook should be made of 10-12mm steel rod!

I suggest to attach a quick release or a big ring somewhere on the spreaderbar and use it to be able to reach the beach in case of hook failure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”