Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

California winter kiting, does it go off?

Forum for kitesurfers
kitepamlico
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Hatteras-
and New Mexico... Anywhere!
Favorite Beaches: North side, goofy, north winds....
Style: waves
Gear: aggression
jimmy
epic
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

California winter kiting, does it go off?

Postby kitepamlico » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:23 pm

Is Waddell windy in the winter?
How cold is it?

screwfootsc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: strapless

Re: California winter kiting, does it go off?

Postby screwfootsc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Believe it or not, NorCal isn't always the best option for winter. SoCal (LA to SD) gets a lot of wind from incoming storms before, during and after. Keep an eye out on storms coming down. SD in particular gets a lot of winter wind...yet lacks a lot the rest of the year except spring, but the time frame is in the middle of the day-when most people work.

On conditions, I would take SD or LA on any winter day compared to north of SLO...frosty cold.

toober
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: best rights in california, with great left sandbars!
Favorite Beaches: now why would i go and do a thing like that?
Style: barrel riding
Gear: twinfin surfboards, skim for flat, tow quad for heavy waves and maybe some loopies
Brand Affiliation: Pleskunas

Postby toober » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:38 pm

Sounds like Screwfoot likes to ride in polluted, flat water, or at least thats where he wants to send you. hmm i wonder why SC is on the end of his name and why he doesnt want you at Waddell??? haha its no secret spot and its a huge beach, everytime i go there the whole crew is riding the mushy surf in front of the parking lot... i let them have it.

SD has shit for winds, occasionally you can get south storm or west clearing winds down there but they are few and far between, and usually only for an hour or so. LA can be a bit better for wind but no waves.

Yes its cold up there especially when its windy due to upwelling. Waves can be good but honestly this year has been pretty bleak everywhere in Cali. Only one swell in Sept and puffy winds from there on out.

The SF bay can be a good place for Storm winds as there is lots of area for fetch in the bay from every direction. And its a funnel for anything west.

La Nina is full tilt this year, few storms, less waves, and some light and puffy winds. Not to mention it keeps the water cold which makes the sharks hungry. There has been an abnormal amount of sightings and even a fatal attack this fall.

Keep your eyes peeled the water is lava.

kite_crazy66
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Since I started kiting I have been travelling... so you could say my local beaches are: Big Bay (Cape Town), Woody's (Perth), Lancelin, Geraldton (WA), Crissy, 3rd Ave, Sherman Island, Da'hab (Egypt)
Style: freestyle and old school

Postby kite_crazy66 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:01 am

Agreed with Toober.
I moved to SD about 3 months from San Fran. I still have to experience the winter, but so far, the kiting down here has been nothing compard to august/sept in the bay.
Everyone out here is out on a 12-18... there's even a guy out on a 20! He does way over 200...

I've always owned a 10 and 7 meter kite, but recently bought a 14 bc its either that or not at all. Also, the days there is wind, its not necessarily consistent like 3rd Ave. Its gusty, and like Toober said, sometimes in the middle of the day and only for an hour or two.

The plus side about being a kiter in Socal, is that you're closer to baja... and the chicks are way hotter

530N52
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby 530N52 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:59 pm

LA and Orange County can be good following storms. Last Sunday was typical with very powered 10m conditions. Often this can be a one day event with a week or weeks before the next clearing wind. Stay away from river mouths following rain and you will survive.

Good Luck

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Thinking about visiting family in San Francisco (Mountain View) in Feb or March. Do I have a good chance of having fun with my surfboard, a 6 and 9 m kite there?

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:11 am

You may start to get some spring stuff by then, but it is really cold including inland.

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:22 am

ok. thanks!

screwfootsc
Medium Poster

Postby screwfootsc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:02 am

Toober, your retarded.

San Diego get's better wind than LA in the Winter by far. If you haven't noticed, we have had insane South winds, solid 18-30 for almost a month off and on. There have been about 5-7 storms roll through. You have to be on it.

It's funny how on ikite there is also a rain advisory forum post. Seems like everyone is a big VAG when it comes to kiting in the Rain. Are you afraid to get wet or something? Are you Fing joking me?

You wouldn't kite solid surf, side off south winds, solid 7-12M kites (depending on weight and board type) because it rains? Stay inside then. Not sure what the hell you are talking about. Next storm hit up Oceanside Harbor, Tamarack, Cardiff Reef.

FYI, San Diego is lame in South County south of La Jolla in South winds...so maybe your checking the wrong area. I understand people are afraid of getting sick...but after it rains nonstop for many days off and on..the runoff is done and its just rain water for crying out loud. I have yet to get sick.

Make sure you know what the hell your talking about and not be so ignorant before posting. If you haven't done it, don't talk about it.

And yea, Waddell sucks in the winter unless a clearing comes...and its ass cold. Id rather kite a warm and fun south wind in SD over the Bay/Waddell anyday in the winter. And that is coming from a North Coast kiter and South Coast kiter. But, suit yourself ya whiners.

screwfootsc
Medium Poster

Postby screwfootsc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 am

Kite Crazy...Hit Cardiff or North County up next storm and youll understand what fun it is...unless your afraid to get rain water on you?

Return to “Kitesurfing”