rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2011 Naish Bar

Postby rightguard » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:28 pm

So do you like the new 2011 Naish Bar?

I just started using mine, and I'm having some issues.

The first day I went out I was riding along and noticed the leash line got caught on the trim ball. You know how when you haven't pulled any of the trim the ball is right against the safety release. The leash line got caught right between the ball and safety release. I tried to pull on the line and it would not come out. Ended up pulling on the trim line to release it.

Doesn't really matter much but what if I had to release my safety when it's like that? The safety would not work at all. I should take some pictures... I'm sure my explanation isn't doing much.

Now I look for it all the time but I'm noticing that you really have to watch the trim line. Seems like it can get caught on all sorts of stuff. When I'm riding it gets wrapped around the center line as well, which makes me think it's not going to work if I release.

Anyone else had problems?

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Re: 2011 Naish Bar

Postby sourra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Hola!
I like my bar for sure but I don't think there's so big changes from 2010 to 2011 that I would like one but not the other. Have not had any problems what so ever with any of my bars from 2008 and onward but now it's not about my experiences, it's about yours =)

Based on what you are saying, I would recommend that you have chicken loop turned so the yellow leash line is under the loop instead of above. If you really really want to have the loop facing the other way, I recommend that you jam the trim line into the cleat whenever possible. If you jam it in the 1cm before the end of the trim line, it will be the same as having it unjammed as soon as there's som pull on the front lines.

As for the leash being twisted around the front line, it will work perfectly fine unless you twist it insanely much. It's a setup that's similar to the one used on the Torch and it works great. But don't be afraid to spin in the other direction once in a while =)
Personally I always attach the leash to the ring on the trim line when i ride SLE-kites as I think that works much better for unhooked business than having the kite flag on one of the front lines.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks for the response... I just switched from a 2008 to 2011, they are very different.

I guess I should just put the trim line into the cleat. That's what I did, but didn't know if there was some other solution. Just another thing to keep an eye on.

I'm just learning to twist so I guess I should be trying both ways.

Aloha

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:50 am

Have a slight problem, not that one though. My trim line gets jammed, and I start trying to get it loose while riding.....in desperation I accidently grab the red release and pull the opposite way which of course pops the damned chicken loop, and I get a sudden lesson in unhooked riding. Now I have learned to just go back to the beach and put the kite down.

And another thing! The yellow safety (leash) line got frayed up where it goes through the stainless steel loops that connect to the main leader lines. This causes it to jam untill a strong load pulls it free if you try pop to land from the leash. That caused a bad landing twice, and a kite rolling around in the hot zone....could have gotton ugly but I only self land in light wind so it was fine. I was worried that it would get worse and seize up when I needed it but realized that in 4 seasons of kiting I have never actually dared to use a a safety system, or I just choked and forgot. Now I dont screw up so.....

I rigged it up 4 lines direct. Suicide leash. May god have mercy on my soul.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:19 am

\Windrupted:

To depower the kite is pretty easy...put the kite higher sheet out a little.... On the depower strap pull down and out.... That is it. Technique over power.

"The depower line got frayed so much it gets stuck in the big metal loop it goes through"..that part you really have to show in pics...I can't even fathom how it could get that frayed...

Suicide means you attach your kite leash to the chicken loop...if you have a tendency to push the release in desperation it might not be the best idea.

Rightguard: If you have to release all the power will be transferred to the safety, and it should easiuly pull out the depower stopper ball...of course it is easier to not have it there...

Second like Sourra said..pull down so you have 1 inch of rope under the bar. The safety will release even if there are a few rotations...I dunno how many though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”