Gear: Kite :Bandit 3
Board: Devil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Position of the kite during the bottom turn and the cut back

Postby GMAC » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:16 am

Ok, this is my second post, lets go...
I'm kiting since 2001 but only now I try to do wave. I want to know what's the position of the kite during the bottom turn and the cut back :roll:

Thanks for the answers

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Position of the kite during the bottom turn and the cut

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:35 pm

"Follow the kite" - meaning, fly the kite down relatively low during the bottom turn, kite heading towards the wave.
And fly it around and towards the shore during the cutback - so it will typically be almost overhead in the cutback, and on its way towards the shore.

In really light wind with big kites, it is even more important to fly the kite very low and fast.

In more wind/smaller kites, and when you get better - you can just fly the kite quite high, and turn it a bit from side to side, while riding very sharp turns on the waveface down the line - but still exatly the same idea "follow the kite".

Some park the kite fully - but dont go there, yet :naughty:

Again - when you get better, you will be able to ride "whereever" you want on the wave, so it is not the kite that tells you where to go - as you have so much control over SLE kites nowadays, that you almost dont have any constraints because of the kite :D

Meaning - you can depower fully, or power it up and let it drift further down the window - or you can turn it on a dime deep in the window with one hand, if you suddenly in a spitsecond decide to change your way/arc 8)

:thumb: Peter

530N52
Rare Poster

Postby 530N52 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Peter Franks description is very good.

I would add that the amount you need to drive the kite is relative to wind direction. At least for me, in side off conditions the kite requires less movement to perform bottom and top turns. In side or even side on conditions,I like to drive the kite off the wind (similar to PF's method) in order to draw out a bottom turn and off the top direct the kite back toward the flats.

Have fun.

reinis
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: CF, TK, OR, FS, o`neill

Postby reinis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:43 pm

start with drawing S shaped trails on water with your board while going downwind with powerful carves (toeside->heelside->toeside) on flatwater. once you`ve mastered it, remember how you moved your kite :naughty: and take the whole drill to waves and continue drawing the $ taking wave power into account.

no rocket science really. just doing what feels smooth. no right or wrong here.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:38 pm

I think the most common mistake beginner wave riders do in onshore conditions (I assume you are riding in the Med) is to let the kite fly too far ahead of them during their bottom turns resulting is premature loss of speed/power in order to make a re-entry or cut-back.

Keeping the nose of the board ahead of the kite as it flys horizontaly through the window is a good tip in order to prevent this from happening and it can be achieved by either :

-Getting the timing of the kite right when initiating the turn (varies depending on size/speed of kite).
-Tightening the bottom turn if the kite starts getting ahead of you so you get ahead.
-Slowing down the kite by de-powering / or increasing the distance it needs to cover to reach the other edge of the window (S turn).

Thats step one !

GMAC
Rare Poster
Local Beach: ROME
Favorite Beaches: Every spot with flat water
Style: Freestyle and freeride
Gear: Kite :Bandit 3
Board: Devil