Favorite Beaches: Australia bells
Style: wave freestyle
Gear: Naish torches 2010 etc
Brand Affiliation: -
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Glass board vs Epoxy / production board, which is better for

Postby AndrewG » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Glass board vs Epoxy / production board, which is better for the waves.

I was at mambo wave Kiteboarding comp NSW Australia on the weekend and all the good wave rider were riding standard glass custom boards. Some had there sponsors logs etc in the glass work but hardly any of the good rides had kite/surfboard, production boards(epoxy finish).

Are the glass surfboards better for waves, because they flex unlike the epoxy boards?

Might have to go down to my local surf shaper and get a surfboard costumed up.

I must say the firewire surfboard look hot and good to see it had an Aust. riders name on it.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:59 pm

I just learned that the FireWire has dual parabolic stringers on each edge to allow the board to flex as well as twist. The board I just got is tits( I have a custom glass too).

My vote is FireWire

530N52
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Glass board vs Epoxy / production board, which is better

Postby 530N52 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:16 am

Own Firewire, Surftech and standard Glass boards for kitingsurfing. Favorite is standard glass. Followed by Firewire and last is Surftech.

AndrewG
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Australia bells
Style: wave freestyle
Gear: Naish torches 2010 etc
Brand Affiliation: -

Postby AndrewG » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:36 am

Cool, why is standard glass so good?

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force,
Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:37 am

Performance: Glass boards perform the best when the waves are good(point breaks). Epoxy boards are little more corky/light. So, they tend to perform best when the waves have less consistent power and you need more float(junky/beach breaks). Due to the extra float/corkiness, I prefer the way the glass boards bottom turn(seem to have more bite). However, I also really like how you can throw the tail around off the top with an epoxy since they are more floaty/light.

Durability: Even though glass boards perform well, they won't last long if you kite with them(at least the ones I've tried with standard 6 oz. bottom/ 6 & 4 oz. deck). Epoxy boards are more durable and will last longer, but not much. The 2 surfboards I found that are durable enough to kite with are the
1. Firewires: unique durability/flex due to the stringer running along the rails
2 Tuflites: Light/corky and extremely strong. No heel dents on the deck. Stronger than the firewire but performance not quite as good. Extra float helps in lighter winds.

I have tried many kite specific directionals and lets just say they are not my cup of tea. Too heavy and lack surf feel. Hope this helps :D

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:41 am

Didn't the firewires doesn't have too good track record for durability..I think they have upped that though. I dunno about the newer...

I've buckled every polyester board I've ridden...

The glassing can be heavy, and then the board is strong, but polyester boards made for surfing will not last a lifetime kiting...

To say it this way..if you have to ask which is better, then you will not feel the difference. Go with the stronger ones...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:30 am

I am not sure what you mean here....

"Glass board vs Epoxy / production board" ???

There are polyester boards - which is (fibre)glass glued with polyester.
There are epoxy boards - which is (fibre)glass glued with epoxy.

both types above, are the typically custom handshaped and often have wood stringers or maybe carbon reinforcements or similar.

Production boards can be like above - just not polyester as it is very inferior in strength and durability, when applied to fibreglass, so not really used....

For custom shapers, the polyester has advantages as it has been used for years, before epoxy came - and polyester cost almost nothing - very cheap, and it cures quite fast so easy to work with when handmade. (I wont go into the flex discussion here...)
And when a board is "dead" - it is quite easy to make a new one.

But today many shapers use epoxy because of its physical advantages, so boards can be made lighter with the same strength - and way more durable, no heeldents, and it will not get cracks like polyester do very easy.

Then there are many production boards with different technologies involved, other core materials and outer protection layers etc etc - they can be very complex.
Epoxy are used in these boards, but outer layer can be a different type.

Most often polyester or epoxy are named "resin", like "epoxy resin", in the English language.
And when talking about fibreglass work, one says "laminating" - which means that several layers of wowen fibreglass or carbonfibre, and core material are wetted and glued together with epoxy or polyester, to form the surfboard with its strong and dynamic shell.

--------------------------

Would just explain these basics for readers, as it can be difficult to know if one has never worked with these things.

All boards are "glass" boards, just different glue (resin), either epoxy or the polyester.

--------------------------

And now I am curious, if your question is ?

Why do almost all comp riders use custom boards instead of production boards ?
or
Why do some comp riders use polyester custom boards, and others epoxy custom boards ?

:thumb: Peter

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:09 pm

it's good that Peter has established the ground rules.

folks that choose polyester and glass are typically using the traditional polyurethne foam cores

folks that use epoxy and glass have the option of using lower density foams like eps or xps, (both are polystyrenes)

polyurethanes foam density is seldom less than 2 lbs/ft3
eps density is frequently less than 2 lbs/ft3.

as a result polyester/polyurethane boards are usually heavier than epoxy/eps boards before the glass is even applied. due to the higher density core.
epoxy/eps boards can afford more glass to increse strength at the same weight

comp riders use less glass to keep their PU/PE boards light.
you frequently see heal dents on the deck after only one surf.
even though they consider this a good sign of the board being properly 'Broken-In' they lose sight (or dont care) that the board is simply a few rides away from just "Broke"

IMO.
-bill

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:19 pm

Regarding durability: I have an Amundson Custom that is three years old and still going strong. I jump the shizzle out of it. I used to have a production/epoxy surfboard (made specifically for kiting according to the manufacturer) that I buckled in one-half of a season. No doubt in my mind that the subtle flex characteristics of the more traditional construction is superior (I weigh 250 pounds!)-- especially if you plan on jumping the directional, which I highly recommend for full enjoyment...

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Sorry but float is not bouyancy. It is feel.

Return to “Kitesurfing”