Cabrinha Stacks the Top Ten...

Forum for kitesurfers
MKM
Frequent Poster
Gear: tons...
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha & Dakine

Re: Cabrinha Stacks the Top Ten...

Postby MKM » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:14 pm

what misrepresentation are we talking about? all of the "big Cabrinha guys" that went to the race are from Florida and have gone to the event every year since it started! Mike, one of the big Cabrinha guys lives in Clearwater and won the event last year. the event used to be attended by tons of brands but as the economy changed, i think a lot of these guys have opted to do something else or their brands have pulled back from supporting local events. In FL, SS and Best used to be everywhere, now I can't say that I've seen anything from Best in the last 2-3 years and Neil with SS is working a pretty large area and missed 1 event. i'm sure he will be back next year as he supports FL events as much or more than our cab guys do.

I didn't write the release, but It was a RACE, and how else do you say 7 of the top 10? Geez, I got 2nd and i've kited a total of 3-4 times since May! Ok, toss Damo out because he is in the top 2 in the world for racing. If I'm the big threat, yee haw, I beat Mike (which is a big accomplishment for me), and a Junior racer from Naples, FL that just finished well for the first time ever! the misrepresentation isn't coming from Cab. it's from a bunch of guys that are obviously feeling lonely and left out. maybe they should ride cabrinha so they too could feel some love.

good thing we didn't list all of the riders that finished on Cabrinha, it looked like a one design competition out there! probalby would have started WWIII.

Kent Marinkovic
Pryde Group Americas

patrickrynne
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Biscayne Bay
Style: Racing & Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbows
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Adventure Sports Miami, Kiteracing.com, Patagonia, Kaenon Polarized
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby patrickrynne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Yah golly gee, please add that in, and while your at it go F yourself....

- What's the point of saying "go F yourself" ??

You just don't get it... you are like the guy that comes to my door asking for my gas bill so they can make sure I am being charged the best rate... STOP F'n LYING! SHOW SOME INTEGRITY... don't try talk your way out of it once your called out... just apologize and go away...

What did Cab lie about? I've read the press release multiple times...it seems completely fine. Of course its mostly focused on Cabrinha...its written by Cabrinha to support their products? But where is the lying?

What would be respectful is that you do not posts misleading press releases.

How is it misleading?

please explain these things to me...because I don't understand your point of view

-Patrick

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Sorry Patrick, I was having a bad day...There was no need to be swearing or calling names.

About the misleading thing. Based on the OP, you could not tell this was a grass roots event. It can be read as if it was some big pro race where everyone who was anyone (in the race scene) was in attendance and Cabrinha took all of the top spots.
Then you read the account of someone who was there.... huge difference in weighing the significance of winning the top spots.
The way the information is portrayed, the average Joe could easily think that based on these results Cabs are the best race kites. While that may or may not be true, by all accounts this race could not possibly be used as an example or offered up as proof for that claim. In fact Cab driver has all already admitted as much.
So, if this is a press release, then state the facts clearly so that no one is mislead by the skewed results, it this is an advertisement for Cab then put it in the advertising section.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Pete

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:01 pm

:o 55kts, maybe it went to their heads a little,
what do you expect? ;)

patrickrynne
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Adventure Sports Miami, Kiteracing.com, Patagonia, Kaenon Polarized

Postby patrickrynne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Thanks for the explanation Pete

I understand now what you mean. Personally I didn't read it that way, but I also knew about the race, i've done it before...so when I saw the press release I sort of already knew what the context was

you could be right that other people might think the wording is misleading...or at least not the best way to describe the event.

So moving forward I think the most constructive thing we can say to Cab is this..."in the future, maybe tweak your press releases to better capture the essence of the event"...is that fair?

what I'm afraid of is by having all of this angry back and forth...that guys like Cab will get fed up with putting in the effort. Let's remember that the Cab guys are supporting the event by sending good riders, and they're writing press releases THEMSELVES because nobody else did (correct me if i'm wrong...but there was no press release from the actual event organizers was there?)

if they hadn't done this...the event would have less riders, the level of competition would be less...and many of us wouldn't have even known the event took place.

for example...i didn't even know the race was happening until the Cab guys told me "hey this race is going....you should go...do you need a ride?...tell your friends!"...that's the kind of guys they are.

I'm willing to deal with some Cabrinha marketing here and there in exchange for their hard work to support the sport. Seems a fair trade to me,

cheers

-patrick

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:12 pm

patrickrynne wrote:....I'm willing to deal with some Cabrinha marketing here and there in exchange for their hard work to support the sport. Seems a fair trade to me,

cheers

-patrick
I can certainly agree with that. Whenever we can get a manufacturer to help with local events, that's a big plus for both the local kiting community and the manufacturer. It's fun to have the Pro's come visit your local neighborhood beach and sail with the normal folks. Inspirational!
:thumb:

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Since I am the one who called you guys out, allow me to jump on this landmine of a thread and end the BS, name calling, and bashing. I'm done bagging on your two (Todd and Kent), and was really hoping you learned a little something about the attitudes you project to the public. Kent, I still don't think you get it though- Personally, I think I'm on one end of the sport, you're on the other, so the best thing to do is meet in the middle and shake hands.
We both know I am deep in the heart of Cabrinha country here, (you have every reason to be happy about your share of the market), but I invite you to come here and ride with me sometime, just to see a little different perspective. Not to place blame on your brand, just to take a good hard look around and realize that your role/ attitude (as a distributor, retailer, and leader) is a major part of the sport's problem(s).
You guys seem to want to be leaders in the industry, so why not lead the way for the industry to help fix some problems? I will gladly try to help show you the way.

Until we can all sit down and actually meet each other sometime, maybe you and your crew should read this a couple of times to help you better understand some things about me and these forums-

My style of writing on here & FKSA (or hate as it commonly called) for the last 5+ years could be described as "toxic comedy", or a combination of truth, opinion, and some serious ball busting....Its very, very effective and like you racin' dudes, I don't settle for 2nd. :P
(Our dearly deleted friend, Fokiten was the master of this, and I sure miss having him around to laugh at... :lol:)
The crap I stir around here is generally things I care about (safety and access), want to learn about (orgs and industry), or want to find an answer to (problems in our sport). Throughout my forum history, I have pretty much butted heads with everyone at one time or another, and tried to learn something from each one. Otherwise its just mindless dribble. :roll:

Some people see forums for what they are- which in my opinion is an extension of the beach, or a way to keep hanging out with your friends after a good session. Most of my friends enjoy busting each others balls and getting a good laugh out if it, and believe it or not, some of my biggest forum battles have turned into some damn good friendships over the years, from people I otherwise wouldn't know. :allbegood:

I can definitely see where I'm viewed as a hater, because most people have preconceived notions about others, based on their online persona. Some of you think I'm a trouble making arse hole, while I think some of you are over privileged pricks- that's just the roles we play dudes.
It's nothing more than projecting an online image by talking smack- just like in any other sport. ( OK, more like pro wrestling! :rollgrin: )
Am I proud of my actions all thee years? Absolutely not...... :oops: I honestly can't say that enough, but I what I am proud of is that I learn new stuff every day participating on these forums, so the sacrifice of my "online image" is well worth the effort. Some people get it, some people don't, and others can just shake their heads.... :rollgrin:

Patrick and the rest of you- Just so ya know, my "alias" is www.kiteboardingtampabay.com I thought that was common knowledge to you guys.

patrickrynne
Medium Poster

Postby patrickrynne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:30 pm

it seems we've turned the corner to taking something positive away from all of this...thats certainly a good thing!

KiteboardingTampaBay...thank you for taking the time to express your opinion. I don't agree with your "methods", but to each his own.

My main issue I have with what you are saying..

"but I what I am proud of is that I learn new stuff every day participating on these forums, so the sacrifice of my "online image" is well worth the effort."

my issue with this is that it is an extremely selfish way of going about things. You're using methods on the forum that may give you the results and "lessons" that you seek, but in the meanwhile you spread negativity and anger. Isn't there a better way?

You are basically taking "accountability" out of the equation by having an online personality that I think you are suggesting is different than your "real" personality. I'd challenge you to be who you are in real life....keep being honest, post your opinion...but no reason for fueling drama, anger, and starting arguments.

if you did that, I personally would take your posts and opinions far more seriously.

but that's just me

-patrick

ps - went to your site...and scanned around for a few minutes but still can't find who YOU are...take the leap, bury the "online personality"

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:52 pm

I think its been said before that this was a Cabrinha release and this is what you get. I don't think anybody on here is that new to not know how things work.

If any of the Ozone guys went then Ozone would have had a release right now saying great Ozone takes top 3 and of course Cabrinha would have not made a release at all because people only release something when they performed well.

If nobody showed up and an Epic rider made it to the finish then yeah we would have heard about it for years. just teasing!

End of the day its all for fun charity or not!

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi Patrick,
To hopefully bring some closure to this smoldering pile of poo, it seems my name is what you're looking for, which is Steve Sadler.Hope that clears things up for ya and leaves you walking away satisfied, I just never thought is was that important in a room full of lurkers and aliases. :wink:

If you want to ask around, I am fairly certain that every kiter I have ever met can tell you where my true interests are in the sport. That includes years and years of actively speaking with kiters, instructors, retailers, industry folks, other orgs., safety gurus, forum owners, and all my students- about what I (and they) believe would help our sport. (part of the whole "learning" thing I was talking about earlier :wink: )
If there's any calling out to be done about my intentions or integrity from these people, they are more than welcome to have at it.

Truth is, I am a nobody in this industry and couldn't be happier! :thumb:
After 8 years of kiting, I'm still a stoked newbie who wants to do whatever he can to help the sport grow in a positive direction. I have had that feeling since the first time I flew a kite, haven't you?
That's kinda hard to maintain sometimes amid all the things going on around me, but I'd like to think have done pretty good at not burning out and giving up.

If ya want fast forward through the research and get to know what I like to do, visit www.actionsportsfoundation.org and have a look around.

Please pardon our website,( I'm a newbie :lam: ) but its contents should help clarify what I'm really about, my goals, and what me and my friends do when we're not out "spreading lies and hate".

Bounce on over to our mission and objectives page and read each one while thinking about the gaps in our sport, and what we could be collectively doing to fill them. I say "gaps" because there's a lot of areas overlooked in this sport by existing orgs., industry, and trade groups that need filling- without stepping on the efforts of others.
If something doesn't make sense, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have to the best of my knowledge.

There's a lot more to talk about in the future, but that should help clear things up for now.

Have a nice day!
Steve Sadler (813) 389-3683

Return to “Kitesurfing”