Miami Rickenbacker - Kiting Banned

Forum for kitesurfers
Cab Driver
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Miami Rickenbacker - Kiting Banned

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:34 pm

Officials in Miami are working with county attorneys to fully institute a legal ban on kiting throughout the Rickenbacker Causeway. Rickenbacker, specifically Hobie Beach, is a popular spot for SW and W winds and is one of the only places to kite off of land in these wind directions in all of Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties.

There are only two rules for riding at Hobie Beach, but neither have been followed over the ten years of off again on again riding at Hobie.

1/ No Riding inside the buoys
2/ No Instruction (you must have a permit/concession to operate a business at the beach)

Ultimately, instructors set the example of what is generally accepted riding practice at any specific location. At Hobie Beach, the example set has been absolutely disgusting. The authorities, including Police and Rickenbacker officials, have been attempting to help enforce the self imposed rules over the last three weeks, but they have finally lost their patience as they have taken too much verbal abuse from the kiters. Although several of us locals have tried to keep the peace and respresented all riders at many meetings over the years, we no longer have a valid voice as the actions of a few have spoken loud and clear and will be the foundation for this ban.

The launch is generally straight on-shore and the water is about 100 ft (30m) upwind from a 6-lane highway. The buoys are about 200 ft (60m) upwind from the shoreline. Even with these simple two rules, collectively we were unable self enforce and stay within our own compliance.

The access point is 5 minutes from my house and really hits me hard as a rider and is the second great riding location to be permanently closed in three years in Miami. I hope there is a lesson to learn here. Kitesurfing is a growing sport and if you have a great location with only a few riders, chances are that it won't stay like that forever. It's important to manage the growth of any riding location as our access to the water is a privilege and not a right. Miami is such an amazing place for kiting, but because of the general lack of respect for a few simple rules, we are closing this place down. Get organized and don't let this happen to you. Ensure that you create and enforce your own rules before the government gets involved and just kicks you out.

ELI
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Miami Rickenbacker - KITING BANNED

Postby ELI » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:19 pm

With all I have read about it ,and the video I have seen,I thought it might come to this.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Miami Rickenbacker - Kiting Banned

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:28 pm

what a shame...sorry to hear about this.
I kited there too...very nice location with a stunning view.

Sad that this sport has some idiots who are able to stop the fun for others.

Can't you do a club with a license, and the committee of a club can take away those licenses if someone fails to accept those 2 rules? And the ones without license are fined a lot of money?

mikeysfl
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mikeysfl » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:36 pm

Dangerous spot. Excellent riding spot, but dangerous.

stauter
Medium Poster

Postby stauter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:48 am

Once again the bad actions of a few overshadow the good of the majority.

Suggest you guys take two approaches to dealing with this. Start a web site and post pictures and names of the offenders. Be sure to also pass this along to the shops and ask them to post.
(funny how people react when they have been shamed)

Discuss with the city officials about enacting legislation where as kiters can be fined and or arrested for breaking the park laws. Gov't always like fines :) You can also remind them our gov't is based on a majority rule and shutting down the beach because of a few bad riders is only going to punish the good riders. The bad riders will just find another area to disrespect.

Talk with some of you lawyer kite buddies in the area I'm sure the can come up with some good legal jargon the city will like. ( the city press office will love it..... City sides with respected businesses and responsible kiters to rid area beaches of a violators)

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Postby AlexandreBorges » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:26 am

In São Luís - NE - Brazil. i`m afraid of that because it`s a matter of somebody (swimmer) getting hurt and for sure they would close it. Main problem are those kiting too close in between people.

Civil criminal investigator came once to question me about safety, respect to people, kite behavior and else therefore it caught me as a warn to walk the thin line of respect to keep kiting.
I don`t see fines working out, but brutish style of rule by example just like guys from prea (Rancho do Peixe) to be the way of control a beach, I`m not proud of saying that.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:08 pm

you need to create swimming zones, only way to make it work. And then fine those who are getting into it. I am sure the prefeitura will like fines, as mentioned above.

But for Miami I think the only chance is with a license. Found a club, and only gives this to people you know who respect. Others can apply, and once someone causing problem, take the license away. Ruined for life! And have some guest rider licenses, so someone can take a friend from outside, and this way can take care the guest stays within the rules. If not, guest and club member will loose the license.
Check with a lawyer and the city if this is possible. And if, do it!

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:23 am

:o what the heck are the kiteboarders in FL are doing all their beaches are being ban,DANG!!!

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Camber
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay
Style: Freeride/Freestyle ish!
Gear: 8 & 12 mtr RPM's

132 Xenon Laluz, cant afford anything else!
Brand Affiliation: I own a PC so I must be affiliated to Microsoft, I wish :-)

Postby Chillbay » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:32 am

Toby wrote:you need to create swimming zones, only way to make it work. And then fine those who are getting into it. I am sure the prefeitura will like fines, as mentioned above.

But for Miami I think the only chance is with a license. Found a club, and only gives this to people you know who respect. Others can apply, and once someone causing problem, take the license away. Ruined for life! And have some guest rider licenses, so someone can take a friend from outside, and this way can take care the guest stays within the rules. If not, guest and club member will loose the license.
Check with a lawyer and the city if this is possible. And if, do it!
I hear what your saying Toby and it makes complete sence, but at my local beach we pretty much have the opposite, we have a large area at Camber Sands in the UK. There is also San area of the beach we are prohibited from kiteing in, I think we are very good we never kite in this area because it is a local beauty spot and lots of public about. So we keep to our spot, the problem we have is the public swimming in the area we kite, mostly the parents tend to let their kids play where we kite, launch, land. I have tried to explain to some of them that they could get hurt, but most of their replies seem to be typical of some parents in this day and age. I bet as soon as someones kid gets hurt things will change,

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:13 am

Chillbay wrote:So we keep to our spot, the problem we have is the public swimming in the area we kite, mostly the parents tend to let their kids play where we kite, launch, land. I have tried to explain to some of them that they could get hurt, but most of their replies seem to be typical of some parents in this day and age
Unfortunatly, you can not expect a non kiter to understand the force and the sudden power that can be developped by a kite.
For an external observor, flighying a kite looks smooth and easy.
So the rider in your beach must continiue to check for kids and avoid launching and possible landing when kids are arround.

Return to “Kitesurfing”