Favorite Beaches: Kremasti
Style: Old School
Gear: Best Waroo 7, 9, 11 & Flysurfer speed3 15m2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Plasma 2010 or RRD BS3 2008

Postby kitevan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:40 am

:roll: Thinking of buying a slightly (<10 times in the water) used Cabrinha Plasma 2010 (146x47) for 350E (complete with bag & extra fins) to use with my FS Speed3 15m2. No chance to try before buying... Anybody has experience from this board? Will it allow the odd trick or is it only for plain sailing? I have an alternative to buy a Roberto Ricci Designs BS3 2008 that I have tried and worked well, for 250E :-? :-? Any help appreciated!! Happy New Year to all, btw!! :bye:

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Re: Cabrinha Plasma 2010 or RRD BS3 2008

Postby jumarcil » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:58 pm

kitevan wrote::roll: Thinking of buying a slightly (<10 times in the water) used Cabrinha Plasma 2010 (146x47) for 350E (complete with bag & extra fins) to use with my FS Speed3 15m2. No chance to try before buying... Anybody has experience from this board? Will it allow the odd trick or is it only for plain sailing? I have an alternative to buy a Roberto Ricci Designs BS3 2008 that I have tried and worked well, for 250E :-? :-? Any help appreciated!! Happy New Year to all, btw!! :bye:
This is exactly what I will buy as my next lightwind board. This summer I bought a 2009 Plasma which I loved except for one thing; too much splash in the air. So I sold it back and went back on my F-One fifty pro.

At the end of the summer my friend bought a 2010 Plasma and I tried it. Night and day. they just cut a little piece of the corner at a really small angle and it totally solved the splashing problem without sacrifying light wind performance.

I like my fifty pro but is is not really a pure light wind board. The RD BS3 is the same kind of board as the fifty; it is a very good light wind board but not in the same class as the Plasma, Spleen, Flydoor etc.

Go for the plasma 2010 and I am sure that you wont regret it. It has amazing performance and as opposed to those big spleen and flydoor you don't have to pay extra when you travel with it as it is 146X46. Not bad for popping small tricks and jump also :-)

Jules

Richie RIch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grand Cayman - I kite out the back of my beach house :)
Style: I kind of make it up as I go along!
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: So-Chlo - Island Skate and Surf Wear

Postby Richie RIch » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:01 am

I rate the plasma - when you have to work really hard just to stay upwind on your normal TT, (mines a 139 caliber) , the plasma will get you upwind with no effort at all. I have the 2010 plasma and also rode the 2009 in Key West. I've never ridden the RRD.

I was the only one out kiting this Christmas morning on b-u-t-t-e-r flat water with a 2010 13m Crossbow and my plasma. The kite nearly fell out the sky at times unless you were moving it, so who knows how light the wind was. But I had the whole of Cayman's East End inner reef water to myself for 3 hours solid and it didn't take too long at all to get up to jumping speeds, (I'm 185 lbs)

It is definately more challenging to get nice pop off it, but I originally learned jumps, back rolls, front rolls and did my first ever kiteloops on a plasma, (backroll kiteloops, actually.......with a 14m). Riding toeside can be a bit more of challenge and you can catch the edge of the board in the water if you are not paying attention, but it gets you riding a full session when others try and then have to come in.

I'd go for it - I always keep mine handy if the wind drops during a session and I can't be bothered to change my kite for a larger one. Better to be on the water than just in it!

Richie

kitevan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kremasti, Faliraki, Prasonisi, Fanes
Favorite Beaches: Kremasti
Style: Old School
Gear: Best Waroo 7, 9, 11 & Flysurfer speed3 15m2

Postby kitevan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:09 pm

@Jumarcil % Richie Rich
Thanks a lot guys, just the sort of encouragement I needed to make my mind up... I think I will go for the Plasma. I will post first impressions ASAP! Thanks again, great help!
Vangelis / Rhodes

Return to “Kitesurfing”