Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: the best beginner kite

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Cabrinha Convert 2011:

Industry leading relaunch
Easy handling
Big wind range
Performance in a wide range of conditions and riding styles (I use it in surf)
IDS 100% depower bridle
Easy and safe self rescue and self landing
Simple clean control system with integrated leash
Two ply materials on the strut seems
SPRINT single inflation system
Supports multiple harness loop sizes
Soft EVA bar ends for comfort and flotation (no external foam floats!)
Worldwide dealer network and support system
1 year warranty
too much more to list...

Choose wisely and enjoy.

dennisdeslager
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Cabarete
Style: Freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dennisdeslager » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Ok, thanks guys.
I really appreciate all of your comments and i will try to test all of the kites you have mentioned.
So i will test :
Best Kahoona (V3?) if it's available yet??
Cabrinha Convert
Epic Renegade
Liquid Force Envy
F-One Bandit 4
Best Taboo
Wainman 9m
North Rebel
EH Beast - but i have heard that the company is planning to quit ??
Ozone Catalyst

Anyone suggestions on the board?

dennisdeslager
Medium Poster
Cabarete

Postby dennisdeslager » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:16 pm

[quote="chris1974"]Don’t really understand why spending money in “beginner” kite….seems that our friend knows how to go upwind and most probably will start doing some tricks pretty soon. :D :D
quote]
What you're saying isn't wrong but i think that beginner kites are also made for progressing?
Isn't it right that you will learn faster on a beginner kite?
That is the main reason why i am looking for a beginner kite, to progress faster.

chris1974
Rare Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: Flexifoil ION3 8.5+10.5
Flexifoil Delta Board

Postby chris1974 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:51 pm

dennisdeslager wrote:
chris1974 wrote:Don’t really understand why spending money in “beginner” kite….seems that our friend knows how to go upwind and most probably will start doing some tricks pretty soon. :D :D
quote]
What you're saying isn't wrong but i think that beginner kites are also made for progressing?
Isn't it right that you will learn faster on a beginner kite?
That is the main reason why i am looking for a beginner kite, to progress faster.
ok then...buy used ones to avoid huge CAPEX and then once you progress you buy new intermidiate/advanced kites :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:37 pm

dennisdeslager wrote:Ok, thanks guys.
I really appreciate all of your comments and i will try to test all of the kites you have mentioned.
So i will test :
Best Kahoona (V3?) if it's available yet??
Cabrinha Convert
Epic Renegade
Liquid Force Envy
F-One Bandit 4
Best Taboo
Wainman 9m
North Rebel
EH Beast - but i have heard that the company is planning to quit ??
Ozone Catalyst

Anyone suggestions on the board?
Any of the kites you mention above would be good for beginners as well as intermediates and advanced. The "beginner" label only indicates that the kite has features that make it easier for a beginner to learn with. It doesn't mean that it lacks perrformance features that experienced kiters would want. It's not like training wheels on a bike.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Hello "dennisdeslager"
As you can see from all these post you have a big selection of kites.
The best thing for you will be to try them all but I know it is almost impossible to do that.
But I just found this from the SBC KITEBOAR MAG. They did a test for most of all these kites and this is the kite they chose to be one of the best kites for what you are looking for. I hope this will help you in choosing your future kite.

http://www.sbckiteboard.com/2011-kite-r ... ws_id=1601

dennisdeslager
Medium Poster
Cabarete

Postby dennisdeslager » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Hello "dennisdeslager"
As you can see from all these post you have a big selection of kites.
The best thing for you will be to try them all but I know it is almost impossible to do that.
But I just found this from the SBC KITEBOAR MAG. They did a test for most of all these kites and this is the kite they chose to be one of the best kites for what you are looking for. I hope this will help you in choosing your future kite.

http://www.sbckiteboard.com/2011-kite-r ... ws_id=1601
Hi, thanks for trying to help me.
I was trying to click on your link, but when i click, i go to the home page, so i think you haven't completely copied your URL.
I hope you'll find it back.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:49 pm

I am sorry "dennisdeslager", but some how when I cut and past the link it cuts it down. I am sure you can find more info if you go to their web site
But this is what the link is showing:

SBCKiteboard.COM Twitter SBCKiteboard.COM Facebook
2011 Epic Renegade
Mar 21, 2011
Author: Shane Thompson / SBC Kiteboard test team

The SBC Kiteboard test team ranked the Epic Renegade as the best relaunching kite. (Head-to-head Surf Test, Issue 12.1)

Highlights
• Fast water relaunch with Delta shaping
• Simple performance for beginner to advanced
• Stable shape with good range and gust absorption
• Wave-rider approved with quick pivotal turns

The Renegade is the freestyle/wave kite of the Epic kite line that excels at powered Kite Loops, and has ideal depower for waves and smooth, lively, responsive steering. With just three sizes in the kite range, the 11, 9 and 6 m, the Renegade delivers simple and reliable performance in a wide range of conditions and disciplines.

Epic BarControl Bar and Safety Systems
The Epic XTEND bar has a smooth tapered EVA foam grip with longhorn-style bar ends that can adjust the throw length of the bar by 10 cm when moved from the outside to the inside settings. There are bar floats and a safety flagging handle on the left outside steering line which adds good secondary safety. The XTEND is stopper-ball equipped with double-ball system that houses the mini fifth-line flagging system and the double-backed trim line. In a joint venture with Blade Kite, Epic has developed a push-away release system called the Swivel Dome. Made of all tough plastic and flexible materials, the dome enables manual untwisting of the front lines after Kite Loops or Rolls. Although there may be fewer awe-inspiring features, the XTEND system works smoothly and reliably during some heavy ocean and sound sessions.

Kite Performance
The Renegade has some great features that make this a suitable kite for both the up-and-coming newbie or the advanced freestyle and wave rider. It has a good foundation of performance that any rider can develop skills with. For an all-around freestyle kite it unhooks relatively well with some front line trim adjustment and the power remains consistent and smooth for access to decent pop. Not quite as much big-boosting capability or power as the Epic Screamer model, but the Renegade delivers a good combination of aggressive lift and drift. Simple performance and good stability are what put the Renegade in good standing with beginners and advanced riders alike.
The test riders also ranked it with top marks in its ability to remain rock solid and deliver consistent and smooth handling though the gusts. The Renegade sucks up gusts easily and guarantees stable performance in not-so-stable conditions. Depower comes quickly at arm’s-length and shuts off the pull nicely. The kite can be further adjusted for more depower with above-the-bar trim strap. With good stability and depower, the Renegade has keen wave instincts and the smooth powered pivotal turns are consistent and flutter free. This is an easy kite to park where you need it on the wave and if you get into trouble, the Renegade relaunch is quick and effortless even in heavy currents and failing winds. Its wave prowess is also complemented by an additional set of 15-metre lines that come with every kite.

Reality Check
It would be nice to see a little more polish on the control bar systems and some of the other kites had slightly more depower without trim adjustments.

Bottom Line
The Epic Renegade is viable remedy for riders that want well-rounded performance for waves, big air and Kite Loop powered freestyle moves. This kite holds its own against the top Delta and SLE hybrids and the Epic brand shows steady improvement over last year’s models in overall kite construction, graphic layout and all-terrain performance.

2011 Epic Renegade Review

dennisdeslager
Medium Poster
Cabarete

Postby dennisdeslager » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:35 am

Dimitri M wrote:2011 Epic Renegade Review[/i][/b]
[/quote]

Thanks for the review, but i don't think there is a dealer of EPIC kites in Belgium...

dennisdeslager
Medium Poster
Cabarete

Postby dennisdeslager » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Just one question..
Within 3 days, i'm leaving for South Padre Island, and will take some lessons until i can ride upwind...
Now my question: if i can ride upwind, would it still be useful to buy a kite like a Kahoona or a convert, or should i buy a kite like a North Rebel?

Return to “Kitesurfing”