Local Beach: Double Bluff, Locust, Hunter, Bayview
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, Hatteras, La Ventana
Style: all aspects
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: the best beginner kite

Postby WhidbeyKPS » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:21 am

I teach on the Liquid Force Envy and personally ride the Epic Renegade. Can't go wrong with either of those kites. Remember there is more to the kite than the kite. Both LF and Epic also have top notch customer service.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:35 am

For a beginner you need a kite which is not too fragile, because you are going to crash it a lot.

I started out with an Ocean Rodeo, which I crashed a lot :D but which was amazingly solid (I believe they are known for that !)

Cray
Medium Poster

Postby Cray » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:58 pm

A _lot_ of kites are beginner friendly :))). I think the best advice was to get a good local supported kite and I second that :). If you have a friend kiter it's best to ask him for help since he knows you best and will know what actually suits you.

Since North wasn't mentioned yet: As a beginner I *really* like my North Rebel 2011. I can do all sort of stupid mistakes with it and it's very forgiving with no "kicking" -- dramatic increase in pull. Rebels relaunch isn't spectacular but it has true 100% depower on the bar: When in trouble just let go of the bar.

My review with Subject: Novice & Rebel = tr00
http://www.kiteboardingreview.com/kiter ... rebel-2011

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:45 pm

generally speaking as a beginer you would want to look at low aspect ratio kites. Thats short and fat kites as apposed to high aspect kites (long and thin).

a lower aspect kite will be easier to launch and land and it will have obvious grunt to work with.

Higher aspect kites have less initial grunt but more power/lift at speed.

You also what a SLE type of kite (supported leading edge, inflatable kite with a small bridle) as apposed to a tradition C kite. An SLE with have far greater depower and be easier to re-launch.

I can only talk about the brand i am used to and thats ozone. The ozone Catalyst is a good choice or if you are looking at older second hand kites then the ozone light. i have a 8m ozone light and its a sweet, easy kite to fly.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:58 pm

granted, but do new riders even know what an aspect ratio is? Lets keep this conversation simple for the benefit of new riders, or at least explain some of the terms.

www.sbckiteboard.com has some really amazing kite tests that everyone can read. It may make for a better informed decision.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 am

Wow, I find SBC kite to have nothing useful to say in their reviews at all. Kiteworld actually rides the gear and takes about it with some specific information. The SBC reviews sound like ads to me.
And did the last poster not explain that lower aspect kites are fat and high aspect kites are skinny and what that meant?

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Peter Lynn Venoms...the new Chargers are a handful and lot's more money than the venoms.

JerseyPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook to Kite Island
Style: powered
Brand Affiliation: consumer

Postby JerseyPride » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:25 pm

vp wrote:Any delta shape kite will work great for a beginner - super easy relaunch , very stable and forgiving, and big range. I'd suggest to get a 7m to 9m kite (depending on your location / wind conditions).

I have very good experience with Best Kahoonas for beginners.. It's a great , simple , little kite (7.5m) . We've gone through about 2 dozen of them at my school in the last two seasons and have not had a single issue. Price is right too.. especially with the current promotion Best is having , you can get a complete 7.5 with bar for $798.

vadim knows whats good

sojopo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tawas, Metro Beach, Michigan, USA
Favorite Beaches: Tawas
Style: noobie
Gear: 12m Cabrinha Convert, OR Mako King

Postby sojopo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:47 am

learned just this last year on a cabrinha convert 12m (I'm 175 lb) and it was solid, easy to work with, the bar is great, with enough feel for getting to know the kite, and not so much pressure that you get tired. Idiot proof lines (color coded) COMPLETELY easy relaunch. One pump inflation is a must for you, and I loved the cabrinha construction. But, after getting to the point where I'm starting to jump, it's time for a newer, more aggressive kite. Lots of folks around here start on the Wainman boss, I can't speak to it as I haven't tried it yet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”