blue_rain
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Switchblade 2011 12m

Postby blue_rain » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi there,
Who can give me some information about the switchblade 2011 12m? I am very interested in lift, unhooked and especially in the relaunch performances of the kite. Can I compare the lowend of a CB11 with SB12?

Thank you

BK
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: CABRINHA Rider and Representative

Re: Switchblade 2011 12m

Postby BK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:35 pm

IMO in light winds the 12M SB delivers a noticeable amount of additional power.

2cents worth
Rare Poster

Postby 2cents worth » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:39 am

Very good hang time, below average unhook performance, average relaunch capability.

The quality that stands out it's very forgiving when you jump hooked in. The worst part is slow turning making kiteloop difficult although 2011 has improved but still can not compare to the competition, and Cab uses cheaper material than it's competitors , sometime this backfire, they have recalled twice in last few years if my memory serves me well.

Best suit to hook in old school riding style. Sizes above 10 is not recommended for unhooking trick, it's simply too slow.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:30 am

Bluerain,
The 2011 Switchblades offer exceptional lift which is one of the reasons why this kite performs so well in lightwind conditions. Water relaunching is not quite as fast as 2009 and earlier year SB's, but still very good. I think the Xbow has the edge on the water relaunching for 2011. As the SB offers great low end power (especially the larger sizes), this makes it great for unhooking in lightwind, where you just park and pop.... If you are into the kiteloops, size 8 and smaller in my opinion are the way to go....

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:56 pm

I bought a 9m SB 2011 and it is the first time I get a Cabrinha with not too much bar pressure. The kite is amazing, lots of power and boost. Great in gusts; not the fastest but OK for me.

I was thinking about selling my 13m XB 2010 and getting a 12m SB 2011. I really like the XB 13m 2010 but it has too much bar pressure for really long sessions.

Is the 12m SB 2011 that slow and how is the bar pressure ? Would the 11m SB be too close to my 9m. I don't really care about real LW because I have Flysurfers for that.

Also since the 12m doesnt seem to loop very good how about the the 11m ?

Jules

blue_rain
Rare Poster

Postby blue_rain » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:43 pm

jumarcil wrote: Is the 12m SB 2011 that slow and how is the bar pressure ? Would the 11m SB be too close to my 9m. I don't really care about real LW because I have Flysurfers for that.

Also since the 12m doesnt seem to loop very good how about the the 11m ?
interesting question!!!

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 am

Small correction 2cents.
Only recall in the last years has been the lines in 2011.
Never any canopy/material deffects.
Nico

kinibay kiter
Rare Poster
Style: wave

Postby kinibay kiter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:38 am

2cents worth wrote:Very good hang time, below average unhook performance, average relaunch capability.
Sizes above 10 is not recommended for unhooking trick, it's simply too slow.
When you mean 'too slow' u mean kite not flying forward fast enough when unhooking ?

i am asking as i have a SW12 and SW9 (2011) and have just started doing unhooked raileys etc and find anything over 16/17/18 knots i coming in really hot on landing

Jruffing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: El Cuyo, Mexico
Style: All
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Jruffing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Hey Blue Rain...

I have been riding the SB 2011 12m for about 3 months now and I came over from a number of different kites that I rode for quite a while and others that I demoed long before I went with the CAB kites.

Quality: of the kite is amazing, so far I have had no issues with bladder, quality of the canopy etc. Holding up quite well, I would also suggest that you go with a none white color, darker colors tend to look better over time (my opinion).

Lift: is AMAZING hooked in this kite jumps bigger then any kite I have ever ridden to this day. Also is extremely stable in the air and forgiving, this makes tricks while much easier. Because the lift is so great the landings are just as good with a nice smooth loop or sent kite you land with ease.

Unhooked: is something I like to break down into two catagories when discussing this with individuals about kites. Pop and stability, pop this kite preforms above average (and for 3 years I rode all old school 2006 C kites so this is saying something about this kite). It explodes off the water with a smoothness that lets you have more control and stability through your unhooked move. The stability of the kite unhooked, is EXCELLENT, once and you have popped this kite sits there and parks. Its awesome for doing your wakestyle tricks because you know that when you pull a trick, handlepass, grab etc. the kite will not be wildy flying through the windy or crashing and the bar pressure unhooked allows you to know exactly where the kite is at.

Relaunch: is average for me, however I have never had a problem just like most kites you will have to get use to launching it extremely light winds, if there is a breeze stronger then 11 knots there is no issue at all. If you have been riding and relaunching kites for a while this to me is not a game changer for a kite. I think if a beginner this issue of relaunching can be a big deal, but for an experienced rider of over a year this does not change my decision on a kite.

Range: on this kite is EXCELLENT. Due to this I know fly my 12m SB 2011 as my light wind kite instead of my 16m and 14m's that I use to have. These kites are truely (in my opinion) a two kite quiver, you could be set up with a 12m and 8m and be covered for almost every condition around the world. Also the high end of the kite is great and could easily take it up to 25mph or so with no issues at all.

I wanted to address some answers that you had from a few individuals I see from above. I differ in the fact that you want a kite very fast unhooked, from my experience when doing unhooked tricks a stable and parked kite is what you want. Do a wakestyle trick, sbend, flips, grabs etc. are all going to be easier with a kite that once unhooked will give you the most chance of success to accomplish an unhooked trick. Also, the kite is I think has a great speed to it, not to fast not to slow. Fast enough for huge huge huge jumps and loops on a pivet. If you loop any larger kite 12m or above its going to be somewhat slow, however you are not doing huge kiteloops on these sizes anways. But if you do loop this kite in a 12m or smaller sizes its amazing how they pivet with a quick loop.

Hope this helps!!!

John

blue_rain
Rare Poster

Postby blue_rain » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Thank you. Have you also tried the switchblade 11m?

Return to “Kitesurfing”