Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Egypt

Postby ChickenTikka » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:17 am

Anyone thinking about booking a trip to Egypt? Last year during the riots in bangkok I went to Phuket for a week and paid almost nothing for my flight and 5 star gulf resort. My flight from Bombay + six night at the hotel was 500 dollars total.

Not bad!

Wondering if Egypt might be similar? I notice flights are running uninterrupted out of cairo. Surely they tourist towns are far away from the mess not to be that bothered about it.

Chris1973
Medium Poster

Re: Egypt

Postby Chris1973 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:46 am

Man don't you watch the news at all??? Over a million people on the streets and almost 300 dead by now. Are you sure you want to go there right now just for saving a few euros???:o :o :o
Good luck. :bye:

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:02 am

As someone already pointed out. Take a foil kite. There resist better to bullets than inflatable.

Bengan
Medium Poster

Postby Bengan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi,

Well, here in Hurghada it is very calm, we had a few small demonstrations last weekend but nothing major and all very civilized, no violence at all.

What people have to remember about this uprising is that it is NOT a terror thing from any group agains tourism, this is a popular uprising where the people objects the regime. Christians and Muslims togeher, farmers and judges side by side.

Many tourists have left Egypt, the UK Foreign Office still says it's totally safe for travel to the Red Sea region for holiday. We are far away from Cairo and almost the whole community depends on tourism.

The advantages for the traveller is that the tickets are cheap and hotels as well. Right now Magawish Hotel in Hurghada offers as little as 15 USD per night per person, same as it was in the days of the second gulf war.

Great value for money and not too many kites on the water!

Thanks,

Bengan
Hurghada Resident

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:31 pm

I also think it is safe if you fly directly to Hurghada. And good deals should be around! I just heard that hotels are completely empty, since no flights bring new tourists...but there goes your problem...no flights go! And flying via Cairo might not be the best idea.

Anglian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Felixstowe, Suffolk, England
Style: Freeride Waves
Gear: SS Rpm 8m, Ozone Catalyst 12m Flexifoil Ion 2 6m, Cab S Quad 5'3 Circle One 6' pin tail both strapless ;-)

Postby Anglian » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm off to Hurghada at Easter and am really looking forward to the hotel being void of all the rude Russians. Now I've never had an issue personally with a rusky but they take the piss out of the egyptians that work bloody hard in the hotels and in the towns.

Another reason for looking forward to it is the almost garunteed room upgrade, due to the hotel being uder populated.

Bengan, where are you based??

Bengan
Medium Poster

Postby Bengan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi,

I am based at Colona Watersports at Magawish Hotel in Hurghada.

Yes the Hotels are empty, or almost empty, that's' why there is now offers for 15 USD per night in Magawish.

It's not really true that flights don't go. I just tried to book flights with Air Berlin and Condor from Germany and they are running but package holidays are on hold.

All English charter flights are coming in though, UK did not cancel one single flight and they do not intend to. The UK foreign office says its safe so people travel. Also scheduled flights are coming in from the UK direct to Hurghada like EasyJet at very cheap prices for some dates.

To fly through Cairo is possible and it's still safe, the situation in Cairo has calmed down a lot recently and the Airport if far away. If you come in to Cairo International you don't even have to go out of the terminal to check in to your domestic Hurghada flight. It's all under one roof nowadays.

But of course a direct flight is much better.

Bengan

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:52 pm

ok, thx for the update...the media sounds like flights got canceled. well, then I guess it is a good time to go! And hopefully it will work out for the Egyptians, and the country stays peaceful...in all means!

KingAstra
Frequent Poster

Postby KingAstra » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 pm

Toby wrote: it is a good time to go!
Absolutely I'd even say it's a perfect time :wink: :D

But to be honest I wont take the gamble...no one knows what’s gonna happen next

foggy UK
Medium Poster

Postby foggy UK » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Please , please , please people....Do go to egypt ...

You will be met with a warm embrace and open arms....

If your going kitesurfing you will be by the red sea so hundreds of miles from Cairo or Luxor...

Our friends in Egypt need us more than ever now as all of their income in the Red sea resorts is from tourism, if you take that away , their whole economy collapses and the poverty deepens...

Im going to Sharm in 2 weeks and have never even considered there would be a problem,, the Egyptian people and the Europeans running some of the centres are the most friendly and hospittable people you will ever meet, and need our help..

The strugles in the major inland cities are just that , people massing to make their world a better place, they have absolutely nothing against us westerners at all , quite the opposite..

Please , please, now more than ever , go visit the Red Sea... 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”