Favorite Beaches: Kremasti
Style: Old School
Gear: Best Waroo 7, 9, 11 & Flysurfer speed3 15m2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tuna attacks kiter

Postby kitevan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:21 am

RickI wrote: Knowledge, reasoning and understanding can help dispel uncertainty, fear and better still reduce the odds of negative consequences.
This is absolutely true.

kazi
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby kazi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:51 pm

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:39 pm

My timing is off, would love to get some underwater shots. Thought about south of the inlet last week but they weren't there. At least not in large visible numbers like this. Looks to be about 150 yards plus from shore near the artificial rubble reef about 300 yards south Boca Raton Inlet in Deerfield. Wonder if they are still there, more likely this lump has moved further north. Thanks for posting the links.

poser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1

Postby poser » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 am

Rick,
slap a couple go pros on and go for a kite there.
some guys here say being worried about sharks is stupid and statistics.
I will give anyone $100 to kite all day over a shark pack like that.
go pro it from the kite and i will send you $100 cash
all day long over and over on top of a pack like that.
then lets talk statistics.
the guys that say they are not afraid of sharks from florida put your balls on the line and back up your statements and do it.
lets see if we have any takers.
that pack will eat you alive.
if you disagree take the $100 dollar test

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:16 am

We've hunted them for centuries. Now they're hunting us...... "Attack of the Tuna"

(scary music in the background)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:45 am

I already have and more than a day, try four days with as thick a school as you see in the images. This was four years ago, before GoPros. A much larger school really because it was there pretty much uninterrupted moving north for the entire time day after day for at least four days of wind. You would see shadows moving all around you for the entire session each day. All the sharks and there were hundreds or thousands over all that time, I noticed seemed to ignore me except around sunset. At sunset over two days, several dorsals would show up on the surface and home in on you. Not sure what was going on beneath the surface. I would move inside the break or call it a day. I wasn't attacked, nor were any of the other kiters either, that time.

Looking at a recent video shot around the time Steve Schafer was killed, though further south in Palm Beach Country, I see sometimes sharks ignore us and other times they chase us. I don't recall seeing the chasing during the 2007 migration described above, they mainly seemed to ignore us. This matches some comments from the Pacific from pilots observing larger shark behavior moving with and chasing kiters way back in 2002 that I just tripped over again. If you wipeout during one of these tracking events, what are the odds against a hit and run attack? Not real good I would think. This is far different from routine riding outside of shark concentrations. Normally shark sightings are fairly rare in this area outside of the migration.

I have already said, I have given up kiting among large groups of sharks. Been there, done that, learned some new information and don't plan to do it again. Diving** is a different matter, under certain conditions.

Despite all this, there are very few shark attacks on kiters (unlike surfers) and lots of wind related incidents, accidents and fatalities. I've never been put in the hospital by a shark but have been treated twice for wind related injuries and easily could have been taken out a third time way back in 2000 in a squall gust that dragged me about 150 ft. at high speed with a two line 5 m Wipika Classic?! There have been many others worldwide since this sport started. Sharks and excessive wind can hurt or kill you, it just happens much more often with wind in our sport.

Another way to spend time with sharks where you aren't oblivious of what is going on beneath the surface.**

willysand
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: GK GLOBEKITES

Postby willysand » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi,

For my point of view, may be a whaoo was hunting this kind of bonito/tuna.

A shark, why not ? but do not forget that a shark will most of time attack a bonito/tuna if this one is ill; damages etc.. so if the fish will not be able to speed like on this pictures.

Bonito/tuna is mostly and oftenly attack by wahoo; big dolphin-fish; big tunas; spearfish; sailfish and marlin.

Rarely by a baracuda or pompano.

In south of florida there are some cobia too. But I do not think so.

Bonito/Tuna will be able to jump like this for 2 main reasons:
- some fish is hunting the bonito/tuna;
or
- the bonito/tuna is hunting smal fishes.

poools81
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 8
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m

Postby poools81 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:06 pm

dangle a green machine from your board catch it and throw it on the grill :jump:

Return to “Kitesurfing”