Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Liquid Force Pad/Strap Redesign... any good?

Forum for kitesurfers
grantman54
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Liquid Force Pad/Strap Redesign... any good?

Postby grantman54 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm

The pre 2011 LF luxury pads used to be really well liked. I had issues with their durability but I was pretty satisfied with them. Good comfort and fit my foot very well. Only complaint besides durability was that they were pretty darn hard to put together for the first time.

For 2011 they completely changed the design. Their new pads look different than anything on the market imo and they are extremely streamline. Looks like they come as one complete unit so assembly should be cake and it doesnt look like anything could fall apart on them. My question is: I haven't heard anything at all about them. Does that mean they aren't good? Is the adjustable toe grip something that is really nice or is it actually awkward? Are they still comfy? Durable?

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Re: Liquid Force Pad/Strap Redesign... any good?

Postby VOMKB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 am

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. Yes, they are very comfortable. Although we don't have a lot of time with them, so far, no problems at all. I prefer the comp straps/pads, though. Here are some pictures:

Jaime

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007

Postby grantman54 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 am

can u compare them to the 2010 pads please. Downgrade or upgrade? why?

OCKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby OCKiter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:46 am

Really interested in these, too. How do the comp straps work?

Seems like all the straps that use laces for tightening don't hold well and loosen up over time which drives me crazy. Some of my velcro straps have loosen up slowly over time also but seemed to hold up better than the laces.

sisky
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby sisky » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:34 pm

The design is really forward on the new Comp Straps and pads. all slimmed down, yet provides superb cushion with the air cell. Plus the fact that the chassis is all one piece connected to the pad itself makes for a nice direct connection to the board. The adjustment is really easy and secure. Just loosen the top thumb screw, this will make it so the internal ladder straps (looks similar to a snowboard binding strap ladder) are not engaged and then you can freely move the strap up and down to make it tighter and looser. The beauty about this is it will NOT come loose while riding and you dont have laces flying around getting stuck under you toes or heels! It think it basically makes laces obsolete on high end strap and pad set ups. Plus there are 2 positions for the ladders to move in and out so you can adjust the width of the strap also! The adjustable toe bar is bonus! everyone's feet are not the same..this allows you to get nice support and grip custom you your feet..long toes, short toes, make it fit...plus you dont have to grip your toes as much when you jump!
Attachments
TECH_X-CHASIS1.jpg
COMP STRAP.jpg

Uride2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002

Postby Uride2 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:44 am

Looking at these as well.

Any updates after lots of use?
Better or worse than 2010?
How is the durability, especially of the adjusting mechanics?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue May 24, 2011 4:04 am

So...I don't get it. How do you adjust the strap size? (tight/loose...booty/non-booty day, etc.)

I have the old Comp Straps and yeah, they don't work as advertised. The laces aren't all that easy to loosen or tighten and on wrecks the little leash dongle comes out and can get under your foot. They're comfy though when all dialed in.

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Tue May 24, 2011 4:18 am

I like my new deluxe , no strings , pads n straps lots but do not expect them to fit older LF boards, like for ex. the year one WLF, and the thread count of the screws is finer! so for another example they need new screws for a year one Concept they also require a different screw LENGTH, so the old screws from an old board on the new straps will also not work,

new footbeds seem like a lighter material so we will see about their longevity
the toe bars are GREAT! and ifeel lucky that they fit my toes perfectly, very cool-ly they too are ad-justable,...

KitePaddleSurf
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Locust Beach, Hunter Beach, Driftwood Beach, Sandy Point, Birch Bay, West Beach, Sandy Heights, Dogfish Beach, Glass Beach, Post Point.
Favorite Beaches: Locust Beach
Style: Big Air/Freestyle
Gear: Liquid Force, Slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: www.kitepaddlesurf.com

Postby KitePaddleSurf » Tue May 24, 2011 4:19 am

I have used these straps since their proptypes last summer and I have to say the design changes are huge from last year to this year.

Note.... Disclaimer... I sell these at my shop.. so keep that in perspective.

The Comp Strap is my personal favorite. You can adjust the width of the strap in where it attaches to the footplate. Because they are integraded together, taking off the straps are dead easy as it is all one unit.

The comp setup is easily misunderstood. It is not a ratcheting system. It doesn't tighten down on your foot. You loosen the dial to adjust... set it where you want... and then tighten the dial. The pre-molded strap that sets and WON"T BUDGE. Set it and forget it. No more slipping cords or anything like that. The sucker isn't moving.

The toe bar is adjustable, and awesome. Set it before your put it on your board, and it works just the way you want it to. I love toe bars, but in the past I had wished they were a little bit further back to match my toes better.... but couldn't do a thing... NOW... the toe bar gets set exactly where you want it....

The Lux Staps were my second choice and have a more traditional and soft strap that is velcro. It is a huge velcro to velcro connection, so these aren't budging too... but they aren't pre-molded like the comps are. Some prefer the softer Lux... whereas I prefer the rigidity of the Comps.

More info on the products here (comp) http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com/2011-Liqu ... mp-Kit.htm

and here (lux) http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com/2011-Liqu ... ap-Kit.htm

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue May 24, 2011 4:30 am

KPS, thanks for the info.

FWIW, you didn't actually link to any "more info," just to your store where we can buy them. Nothing new other than that. I'm just saying.... ;)

Do appreciate the tips. I still need to see that Comp in person to understand what's going on. Sounds solid though. I had enough trouble with the lace systems that I figured I'd go back to the Lux style of just a nice big ass piece of velcro.

Return to “Kitesurfing”