Local Beach: Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: My own beach
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad, 9m/11m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kite changing shape

Postby kiter147 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:46 pm

hey guys. yesterday i went out on my turbo 3 9m and it was blowing around 25knots and i noticed whenever i turned the kite, it would changed its shape and it would be harder to control the kite. also in some gusts the kite would lose some power. is this all typical for kites to do?

Larse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lynæs , DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Favorite Beaches: Poppelvej, DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Style: Wakestyle/freestyle
Gear: LF Nirvana, Envy, LF DLX and LF LFX
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force and http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com

Re: kite changing shape

Postby Larse » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:01 pm

kiter147 wrote:hey guys. yesterday i went out on my turbo 3 9m and it was blowing around 25knots and i noticed whenever i turned the kite, it would changed its shape and it would be harder to control the kite. also in some gusts the kite would lose some power. is this all typical for kites to do?
Either it's a crap kite (the design) or you haven't pumped it hard enough. It's not normal. During a turn it's ok for a kite to twist a bit. All kites will do this, but LE should keep the same curvature.

My old waroo 2006 was a crap kite. Especially the 9m2 had a hard time keepings it's shape in the high end and would "break" in the middle making it totally flat. That resulted in a huge increase of projected area and therefor power. Scary shit. Crappy shit... A kite should keep it's shape at all times.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:20 pm

25 Knots average wind speed probably means gusts to 35 knots, or so.

Could be that you are a very heavy guy.

Could be that the kite is distorting because it is being used outside of its wind range.

I think that the Turbo 1 was the only model that had that kind of weirdness in high wind.

Just guessing...

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:23 pm

It could be oversheeted too. (backlines too short) Sounds like that might be a problem.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:50 pm

first check that you put enough pressure in the bladder. I don't know the kite (I've flown it, but...) but in general it is always the first thing to check if the kite deforms...pump the LE rock hard.

Second is making sure you don't oversheet..but unless the kite backs up, this should not be the problem (since you were riding in high winds).

Return to “Kitesurfing”