Some thoughts after 2nd lesson

Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Some thoughts after 2nd lesson

Postby dyyylan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:19 am

Just had my 2nd lesson today, I've now had about 6 hours of lessons and maybe 10 hours of total flight time (most of which was with a trainer). Had my first lesson on an 8 and 10m LF havoc, and today's lesson on a 9m switchblade.

- Body dragging is not as much fun as I thought it would be. I haven't gotten up on the board yet, only gotten used to flying the kite with one hand and dragging while holding onto the board and getting it into position to stand up. Body dragging especially sucks when you're doing a 2 mile downwind body drag and you're doing so efficiently and almost staying upwind.

- When you lose your board, how on earth do you calculate where you need to drag to get it back? Every time I'd go one way, the board would drift the other, and when I'd head back out to get it the other direction, a wave would pick it up and carry it toward the beach :(

- For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to relaunch the sb from the water. On the havoc it seemed like you could just pull one line and it'd pop back up but no matter when I did the sb seemed glued to the surface. On this topic, am I crazy for liking the liquid force kite a lot more than the cabrinha? It just seemed so much more stable and friendly to me, and the switchblade seemed a lot less responsive in comparison. But all the reviews I've read tell me I'm wrong, and I don't really have enough flight time to make a decision like that I guess...

All in all, this is such a fun sport, I can't wait until I can actually ride on the surface of the water instead of being dragged through it while getting pounded on by waves. 8)

sojopo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tawas, Metro Beach, Michigan, USA
Favorite Beaches: Tawas
Style: noobie
Gear: 12m Cabrinha Convert, OR Mako King
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Some thoughts after 2nd lesson

Postby sojopo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:48 am

A couple thoughts, when upwind dragging, concentrate on feeling the water run down the length of you. I know it sounds weird, but if you're pointing too far up wind, you won't feel it, you'll "stall out" in the water. Also, the pull on the harness feels a certain way, hard to explain. Also, don't ever expect to get your board on the first reach, and the waves just complicate things even further. Over shoot the board the first reach, then turn and come at it from a little upwind, and you'll have a much easier time, and, it will be down wind of you when you get it, which is where you want it anyway.

No, there's nothing wrong with a particular kite feeling just right to you. I have a board that people thought I was nuts for buying, but it felt perfect and allowed me to learn that much more quickly. (Ocean rodeo Mako King) Whether it was synched to my style, or just gave me confidence, who cares. I had more fun cause I learned more quickly. Down the road you'll try lots of other boards and kites, and find others that you'll like. Right now I'm looking for a new twintip, but I'll never trade in the Mako, it's a blast for what it is.

That said, scour the forums and google for "cabrinha switchblade relaunch" to find if there isn't one particular way that works best for that kite. You might need some tips on relaunching, try kitefilm.com, and howtokiteboard.com (look for pinch of salt) for little mini lessons on some of these things. I've heard good things about the switchblade, and, you know, 10000 elvis fans can't be wrong.

WhidbeyKPS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Double Bluff, Locust, Hunter, Bayview
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, Hatteras, La Ventana
Style: all aspects

Postby WhidbeyKPS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:14 am

Welcome to the greatest sport ever Dyyylan. Sounds like you are progressing very well and ready to start learning the waterstart.
As far as dragging upwind to get back to your board. Just reach with your lead hand and split the trimline with your backhand. Go farther then you think you need to and then when you come back you will find yourself upwind of your board. One other is to get used to is the second you detach from your board, immediatly go into the upwind body drag if at all possible.
I have flown many kites over the years and feel the LF kites are right at the top. If it felt good to you then go for it. I like the Havocs in the 8 and 10m but when I get to the bigger sizes I ride the Liquid Force Envy 12m and 15m. In fact I still have a grin from ear to ear from my sunset sesh on a 12m Envy. Good luck and please let us know how things are going.
www.kitepaddlesurf.com

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:35 am

Welcome to the sport dyyylan.

One thing that I have found really helped me when body dragging is crossing your legs at the ankles. Doing so will make it easier to keep your legs stretched out and help stop them from folding back. It does make a bit of a difference if you cross right over left or left over right when going in either direction. Try it for yourself and see if it helps out at all.

Have fun.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 am

I actually found it pretty easy, the hard part for me was just controlling the kite with one hand. I got the hang of it eventually though when I got out past the shore break and just stayed out. It's a lot easier to figure out what you're doing when waves aren't smashing on your head every 2 seconds hah

I picked up a 13m slingshot key with the 150cm board, figured I'd get a lighter wind setup first before I try to brave the higher winds. So I'll eventually be looking for a smaller kite to complement the behemoth I got... that's why I asked about the cabrinha (I figured it was a good idea to smash the instructors kites into the ground rather than my own for the first few lessons lol). Definitely leaning toward getting a used havoc though once I feel like I need more than one kite!

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:13 am

no worries. in a few sessions you'll think all of this is easy.

body drag just think of your entire body as a big stiff rudder - fingers to toes - and the stiffer/longer it is the more you can edge against the wind. for the kite, 1 handed just takes a while to feel it. maybe one day standing in shallow water just practice flying it one handed since you already found it's much tougher with waves crashing over your head. so at least know how to do it without the waves.

if you're reasonably powered, the kite should not be moving while body dragging. get it low and hold it there and edge with your body. make long tacks as sending the kite the other way will lose a little downwind. if you're under powered or if the current is taking your board up wind, then you probably need more practice in easier conditions before you can do it.

danie178
Medium Poster

Postby danie178 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:36 am

Hey Dylan

welcome to the sport, It may very well change your life.

When you fall off your board and start body dragging to get back to it, i have found it useful (especially in choppy water where you may not be able to see it all the time) to count as you tack, so you start your drag and count to 10 or 20 if you like, then you count to 10 (or 20 if you chose that), on the other tack as well. You will find that its the best way of trying to make sure you are in the position you fell off from, Or you could get a GPS 8) but i think this is easier.

IN flat water, or shallow water this is no issue as you can always see the board or stand to walk to it.

Have fun out there and be safe.

Dan

kitevan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kremasti, Faliraki, Prasonisi, Fanes
Favorite Beaches: Kremasti
Style: Old School
Gear: Best Waroo 7, 9, 11 & Flysurfer speed3 15m2

Postby kitevan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:22 am

Hi Dylan!
The difficulties you are mentioning are a god-sent warning for you to quit this addictive sport before it takes up the whole of your mind and soul, ruining your family time, anihilating any other hobbies you might have and undermining your proffessional performance through constant obsessive kitesurfing thoughts. Give up before it's too late!!! :lol: :lol:
Just joking! Go for it, sounds you are doing very well, it will all happen magically with training. All advice herein are correct. I add, when you part from your board and you cannot see where it is (common at early stages) (helps having a board intensely coloured, I painted some orange paint underneath my blue best spark board and never lost it since) and start bodydragging to find it, count to 15 for each direction you body drag so you do not go too far in the wrong direction.
Also try using an original (70$ but presentable and good quality) or makeshift Go-joe (by tying a piece of fishing net containing an orange plastic kiddies ball to the board handle). Helps a lot at early stages, when you have no feel for where your board should be because it makes it more visible. It also pushes it downwind reducing the need for super-efficient upwind bodydragging. After a while you get rid of it because neither you lose your board nor you have any trouble bodydragging upwind. This is only a newbie problem. Keep it up!! :thumb:

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:46 am

Seems like you are not learning to kitersurf... at least in a way that I would recognize.

I have confused memories of being thrown around by a 2-liner totally out of control. I did learn that hitting the water at 50 MPH is the same as hitting a brick wall - trust me I tried both.

Nice to know you have time to worry about where the board is. 10 years ago my main worry was how to breathe with my head underwater and how to get back in the water with my head 20ft in the sky.

The biggest hurdle in getting the board back was seeing it through the flashes of white light as your head was being hammered by chop, the bar, the harness, and some body parts I still can't figure out what they were.

Trust me you have it easy. Just relax and let the flow guide you.

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:32 am

If you're having trouble relaunching, check that the kite's pumped up hard, and is holding air. I've found that Cabrinha's airlock valve can bleed air if there's only a grain or two of sand in it (blow it out before you start pumping the kite up - usually does the job). It might lose air if you crash the kite hard, too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”