Favorite Beaches: Maroochydore and Noosa rivermouths
Style: Freeride, freestyle
Gear: Best nemisis 09, Takoon chrono 2010
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kiteloop backroll

Postby Suncoast Kiter » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:22 am

I have been busting some big backroll kiteloops lately in 18-20knots and nailing them every time. But when i try them in 25+ knots i get axed. I have found (the hard way) the windier it is the less backroll rotation required because i always seem to over rotate the backroll and pay the price.

I really want to bust some huge ones in the stronger winds but i need to get the rotation and timing right to avoid being flung through the air and wrecking more rib cartiledge. Any advice on this and does anyone agree that less rotation is needed in 25 knot +

Not a good feeling when you get flung backwards!!! :cry:

oskarryden
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ringsegård, Skrea strand, Apelviken
Favorite Beaches: Apelviken
Style: Wake and freestyle
Gear: RRD Obsession 9 & 12 and Nobile 50fifty 139 cm

Re: kiteloop backroll

Postby oskarryden » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:12 am

If you ride a smaller kite in the stronger winds, the kite will be much faster, so maybe try to pull on the bar a bit later when doing the loops in stronger winds!

Larse
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs , DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Favorite Beaches: Poppelvej, DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Style: Wakestyle/freestyle
Gear: LF Nirvana, Envy, LF DLX and LF LFX
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force and http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com

Postby Larse » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:15 am

I don't know. Are you going as high as possible? I've also been doing kiteloop backrolls in up yo 20knots, but I do them pretty low. I can't get the rotation right uf I go high. I jump, rotate and loop the kite about half way around. This always works. But because this makes it pretty powerful loop (and very low) I'm too scared to do it in more than 18-20knots.

Timing gets harder with a little kite, I think. Because the speed of the loop also matters and not just the power in the rotation. Maybe try to loop the kite a little slower...

peter64
Medium Poster

Postby peter64 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Could you post some video of the wipeouts and we'll try to analyze them and help you. Just to make sure things are clear, try to get some video of several different wipeouts and from different angles.

GungaDin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby GungaDin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Couple things you are leaving out......
Are you sizeing down the kite at all?
If not the power from 18 to 25 is significant, to the point sometimes it is practically impossible to land due to the speed your moving.
Are you starting the loop to early ?
When its really windy; delay your loop, you actually have to concentrate to do this; at least for me when its really windy I almost alway pull too early until I re-learn this. The exception is if your on a small kite that is really quick then you can push the envelope on how hard you want to get pulled downwind and still land.
Have you mastered kiteloops high without the backroll?
If not... dont add the backroll until you can do them straight out. This might not seem like a big deal but it actually is, because you are used to all the timing on the lower kiteloops, as you experienced things start to get more critical in more wind and when you get high.
Keep one other thing in mind when looping in really strong winds, landing in general gets harder and harder because you are moving faster and faster downwind, to the point it becomes difficult unless you have unique water situations to deal with the chop.

J

Suncoast Kiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Maroochydore, Kawana
Favorite Beaches: Maroochydore and Noosa rivermouths
Style: Freeride, freestyle
Gear: Best nemisis 09, Takoon chrono 2010

Postby Suncoast Kiter » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:59 am

GungaDin wrote:Couple things you are leaving out......
Are you sizeing down the kite at all?
If not the power from 18 to 25 is significant, to the point sometimes it is practically impossible to land due to the speed your moving.
Are you starting the loop to early ?
When its really windy; delay your loop, you actually have to concentrate to do this; at least for me when its really windy I almost alway pull too early until I re-learn this. The exception is if your on a small kite that is really quick then you can push the envelope on how hard you want to get pulled downwind and still land.
Have you mastered kiteloops high without the backroll?
If not... dont add the backroll until you can do them straight out. This might not seem like a big deal but it actually is, because you are used to all the timing on the lower kiteloops, as you experienced things start to get more critical in more wind and when you get high.
Keep one other thing in mind when looping in really strong winds, landing in general gets harder and harder because you are moving faster and faster downwind, to the point it becomes difficult unless you have unique water situations to deal with the chop.

J
Thanks for the advice. I fly an 8m Taboo when its 18 + knots. I think you are right about pulling the bar too early. I tend to whip it round too early, halfway through the backroll rotation and let the kite pull you round. Thats where i am coming unstuck because the kite is pulling me too far and
halfway through another rotation.
So you are saying i need to pull the bar after the rotation?
I have mastered kiteloops with out the backroll but in strong winds like you said it becomes harder to stick the landing due to the speed which you land. But the higher jump the easier it gets to land because you can fly the kite kite back up past 12 oclock to slow you down.

GungaDin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby GungaDin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:33 am

[/quote]
Thanks for the advice. I fly an 8m Taboo when its 18 + knots. I think you are right about pulling the bar too early. I tend to whip it round too early, halfway through the backroll rotation and let the kite pull you round. Thats where i am coming unstuck because the kite is pulling me too far and
halfway through another rotation.
So you are saying i need to pull the bar after the rotation?
I have mastered kiteloops with out the backroll but in strong winds like you said it becomes harder to stick the landing due to the speed which you land. But the higher jump the easier it gets to land because you can fly the kite kite back up past 12 oclock to slow you down.[/quote]

Sounds like the roll is not the issue? as much as pulling a little early on the bar. Every time I start haveing trouble because the wind picked up, invarialbly delaying the pull solves the problem.
Like I said I have I to re-learn this everytime it gets really windy. By delaying you get higher, and you dont get quite as much downwind speed, so you get two benefits out of it.
I am not familiar with the Taboo as to the characteristics of the kite, although the size sounds like it should be no problem.
J

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core
Brand Affiliation: Ukraine Slingshot Team Rider

Postby zloilyoha » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:09 am

Well, Taboo's kiteloops is a bit different compared to other kites. i have tried it (8 and 12 well powered up) - definitly not my kite.
All i can advice - initiate kiteloop little bit later, try different width of your grip/
And one more - if you starts to overrotating don't try to stop it! - continue it, try to make the second rotation and you'll be safe :thumb: anyway if you'll crash it will be not so hard like when you tried to stop second rotation.
hope this will help

Return to “Kitesurfing”