Postby eitan80 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:13 am

niiiiice

ogm
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiting in Aruba

Postby ogm » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:19 am

THIS POST ABOUT HOW GREAT ARUBA IS FOR KITESURFING IS A BIG JOKE. Why trying to promote Kite surfing in Aruba with pictures of beautiful women if it's such a great destination for the sport?

I went twice to Aruba and I was not able to KiterSurf in Fisherman's Hut from 10:00AM to 5:00PM. It is the only spot walking distance from the main hotels.

Here is the thruth about Aruba. From 10:00AM to 5:00PM (almost the whole day) the windsurfing schools ban kitesurfing at the Hut. The stupid windsurfing schools think they own the spot. We had to drive 45 minutes to Boca to Kitesurf in the surf. Boca is a small spot and it gets very crowded in the afternoon. The beach at Boca is also full of trash. You have to rent a car to get to Boca.

Even if you go Kitesurfing at The Fisherman Hut, after 5:00PM, do not expect a great spot. Yes, it is flat water spot . But the wind is very gusty. You only have about 2 hours before sunset. Make sure you have somebody with a boat in case you cannot make it back. You will have to pay them to rescue you.

Is Armando stills doing business there? Remember me Armando?. You guys did not give crap we traveled 12 hours. Becuase of these idiot rules we were not allowed to kitesurf at the Huts.

BTW: These rules were not enforced by the Aruban authorities. The Anarchy was only enforced by the beach bums that used to do business giving windsurfing lessons.

If you guys have changed the Anarchy, be honest and let everybody planning to go to Aruba know. Aruba is a great destination. But not for kitesurfing.
Last edited by ogm on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:08 am

OMG "ogm" :thumb:

You post made me and my wife laugh so hard. I know what you mean, some times people like that with their rules can be very annoying but I was there last year and went back this year and never had any problems with any schools or windsurfers. Maybe they changed the rules because look at these pictures, they were taken at 11:30 in the morning at Fisherman's Hut and we never had any one tell us anything.
Actually people from the two kite schools wanted to try some of the EPIC kites after seeing the way they perform in these gusty conditions.
Attachments
untitled-8462.jpg
untitled-8462.jpg (256.74 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
untitled-8513.jpg
untitled-8513.jpg (279.83 KiB) Viewed 1571 times

poser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby poser » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:27 am

Dimitri,
ogm has a good point. even if the windsurf schools don't stop you. the huts area sucks ass for kiting in general. I was there 6 or 7 years ago and the off shore wind is punchy as all hell.
the only other spot is Boca and it is small, crowded now, and 45 mins from the resorts.
Sorry Dimitri, for kiting aruba sucks in general.
there are way better spots in carribean than aruba.
I know you have kite dealer there but really there are better spots.
and aruba is expensive as shit.
sorry, just my opinion.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:58 am

I kited in Aruba 7 years ago and kited at the huts everyday. I no problem with the windsurfers, I just stayed away from them and rode whenever I liked. I thought Boca sucked due to the crowded conditions and garbage on the beach. I didn't mind the gustiness of the wind at the huts, rather I enjoyed it because I live inland and I am used to gusty conditions. I kited every day on C kites and I have no complaints.

The flat, turquoise water was spectacular. The best part about Aruba is that I was there for 10 days and the wind blew at 20 knots the ENTIRE time. Plus, it was always nice and warm, you could wear shorts in the evening.

ogm
Medium Poster

Postby ogm » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:47 am

You know fernmanus. I was there around that same time . Yes, you could kitesurf everyday at the Huts as s long as it was not between 10:00 AM through 5:00PM. But if you decided to break their rules that is another story. Of course you could have stayed away from the windsurfers. But if you ask any of the locals they would give you a mouth full becuase they do not want kitesurfing during windsurfing schools business hours. You also need to keep those people happy. Otherwise they will not rescue you if you get stranded offshore due to the gusty winds. When I was there rigging they came to me fast and told me I was not allowed to kitesurf during those hours. That was it.

Dimitri,
Nice pictures and I am glad you had a great time. Maybe the rules are not being enforced anymore. Vela shut down a few years ago. Maybe they are now trying to keep everybody happy. But people who plan to go to Aruba to kitesurf need to be informed of the Huts bylaws during the day. It is simple. Somebody from Aruba needs to clarify what the rules are. Why they are not saying anything? I have brought this issue in this forum many time and noone from Aruba either confirmed or denied. Don't you think people have the right to know if these rules are still enforced? It has to come from them. Until they say something and as far as I know, Kitesurfing at the Huts from 10:00AM to 5:00PM is prohibited. So only options is to kitesurf at the Huts before 10:00AM or go from 5:00PM to 7:00PM. It is ridiculous. I had to rent a car and drove to Boca. Do not make mistake of taking wife to Boca. The sun is brutal. It is desserted and super boring. They are better off staying at the resorts anyway.

Another thing is that you cannot kitesurf in front of any of the resorts. But that is not a problem since there are too many people at the beach and wind is not that great anyways. The only spot is at the Huts or the 45 minutes drive to Boca.
There are a few other spots but they are in remote locations or at public beaches with many people, kids and far from resorts. You need to know locals to ge to those destinations . It is also safe to know someone with a boat in case you get stranded offshore due to the gusty conditions. I would not recommend kitesurfing in Aruba to beginners.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Hello "poser" and "ogm".
You are correct kiting at "Fisherman's Hut" sucks but once you get use to these gusty off shore winds you can start having fun and work with the gusts. I had few other kiters with me that hated Fisherman's Hut on the first day, but after they got used to these conditions they did not mind that much especially because of the blue waters and the wind and how warm the water was. We spent 8 days in Aruba and kited "Fisherman's Hut" 3 days. I never new about this law that you can't kite from 10 am to 5pm in front of the Fisherman's Hut!!! Maybe they changed the law, because you had at least 15 kites out in the water every day.
There is also another beach that we went kiting which is near the Mangroves way pass the airport. This was a great place to kite if you don't want to go to Boca.
The reason I did enjoy Aruba is because it is always windy :thumb: . I have kited many places and for me Aruba was one of my best top 5 places in the Caribbean because of the wind and because it is very close to the USA. If you go to Aruba for 7 days you will kite for 7 days. Of course you have other places I would recommend in the Caribbean such as Barbados, Puerto Rico, St.Lucia, Martinique and so on but it is not always windy.

Right now I am in St.Lucia with Jeremie Tronet for a Demo and Competition and will be here until the 18th of March. These pictures are from St.Lucia in front of "The Reef kite school".
Attachments
DSC_0151.jpg
DSC_0143.jpg
DSC_0142.jpg
DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0041.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7, 9.5, 12
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke
2014 North Whip 5'9
Nobile 2HD
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:37 pm

I agree with Dimitri, I went to Aruba in December for a few reasons, the main ones being guaranteed wind, and a cheap amount of frequent flyer miles to get there. I read all of the posts on here and other sites warning about FIsherman's Huts, and to be honest, if you are an experienced kiter, you should have no problem. Everyone complaining needs to grow a pair.

Is it ideal? No, but the fact that I walk out of the hotel and be at the spot in flat, shallow clear water with wind everyday of my trip is pretty solid. I'd say it's a great place to go if you have a non-kiting wife.

On top of that, everyone in Aruba was very nice and laid back.

ogm
Medium Poster

Postby ogm » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Yep. winds is always howling in Aruba. It was also one of the reasons we went back.

It sounds like the local thugs are nolonger enforced the 10 AM to 5 PM kitesurfing ban at the Huts. Probably becuase windsurfing have declined in popularity. But, I will not go back after my experience with Armando and his dutch gronies. It left a bad taste. They simply did not let us kitesurf during those hours. There are a lot better destinations to kitesurf without the hassle.

Return to “Kitesurfing”