Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo Razor and Ocean Rodeo Rise

Forum for kitesurfers
GhostDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ocean Rodeo Razor and Ocean Rodeo Rise

Postby GhostDog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Had about 4 months now of consistent riding on both kites, so I have a real good feel for both of them and thought I would update my thoughts on the difference between the two.

It really comes down to this, the Razor is a C-hybrid, the Rise is an SLE, they fly accordingly.

For someone trying to decide between the two:

Razor:

C-kite Hybrid style;
Lands hard and fast, pointing downwind.
Rides further back in the wind window
Rides unhooked much better than the Rise
Looping machine, smooth, fast and steady
Incredible low end, I can ride an 8 meter in less than 20 MPH and be powered, and I weigh 195 lbs.

Rise:
SLE Hybrid:
I still feel like it's the best free-ride kite ever.
Upwind like a sailboat,
jumps to the moon,
handles gusts like they are not there,
huge range,
loops really well for an SLE
unhooked, OK for learning some things but not nearly as good as the Razor
really it's great at just about everything.

Razor more of an intermediate/advanced kite I think, Rise, can take you from rookie to expert. Fact that the Rise is easy to learn on and can be used by a beginner should not detract from it at all, that's not code for 'sucks' or 'lame', the Rise is a bad ass advanced kite as well.

austroKiter
Medium Poster

Re: Ocean Rodeo Razor and Ocean Rodeo Rise

Postby austroKiter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks for all that info. I'm trying to decide between those two.

Question about bigger sizes: If you compare a 12m Rise and 12m Razor, is my assumption correct that the 12m will get me going a bit earlier in less wind? I'm looking for a kite that's fun in the light stuff until there is enough wind for my epic 8m kite.

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:06 pm

austroKiter wrote:Thanks for all that info. I'm trying to decide between those two.

Question about bigger sizes: If you compare a 12m Rise and 12m Razor, is my assumption correct that the 12m will get me going a bit earlier in less wind? I'm looking for a kite that's fun in the light stuff until there is enough wind for my epic 8m kite.

Both the 12M Rise and Razor will be a good light wind kite for you, the Razor probably has an even bigger low end, it will go in 14-15 mph, Razor probably need a bit more, like 16mph. But if you only have an 8 meter, I would go for the 10 Razor or 12 Rise.

The Rise has a much larger sweet spot so for a two kite quiver probably makes more sense. With the Razor, if you go out in 14 and it builds to 20 you will be over powered. With the Rise, if you go out in 15-16 you can probably hold the kite down up to 24 before you get overpowered.

dpca10
Frequent Poster

Postby dpca10 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:25 pm

I have a Somewhat different perspective, I feel the razor does have a huge range and big lowend, but find that it is happiest for unhooking when depowered a touch. I like to rig my kites oversheeted, The razor and the rise for that matter will fly fine oversheeted with lots of grunt, my guess is that the Venturi allows them to do this without crumpling, that extra low end helps me get back to the beach if the wind backs off. But although I started out the season rigging smaller razors (like an 8 when I'd usually be on a 10) because the low end allowed me to do it, I now am rigging a standard size for the conditions and pulling a bit of depower and this is better suited for freestyle and handlepasses.

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:44 pm

which is the beter one for waveriding?
anu pulleys on the bridle?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:51 pm

Razor for sure.
Two pulleys per side on the front line bridles.
Back lines are direct connections.

Return to “Kitesurfing”