lol uncool.... wth does that even mean?

playacopal
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha = Uncool. Opinions?

Postby playacopal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:46 am

i run a kite school in Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica...we use cabrinha kites and i love them.
We are using Convert SE kites and they are amazing. They are super durable and hold up to the rigors of teaching here(high winds-loads of sun)
The SB and crossbow are also great kites....
i have the oppurtunity to try many different kites and Cabrinha is by far my favorite.
Bob Selfridge
Cometa Copal Kitesurfing
Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica
www.kitesurfincostarica.com
lguardbl@gmail.com

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:03 am

I don't know why but when someone has been on Kiteforum for less than a year and says he has been flying a certain brand of kite for 5 years, I get suspicious. Generally when you are learning to kite, kiteforum is one of the first things you are told about and find. Now, a guy who had nothing to say for at least the first 4 years he kited isn't sure if the kites he is flying for the last 5 years are cool. I say B.S.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:12 am

alpower wrote:I don't know why but when someone has been on Kiteforum for less than a year and says he has been flying a certain brand of kite for 5 years, I get suspicious. Generally when you are learning to kite, kiteforum is one of the first things you are told about and find. Now, a guy who had nothing to say for at least the first 4 years he kited isn't sure if the kites he is flying for the last 5 years are cool. I say B.S.
no I don't think his intention is to troll a specific brand.

However I think in a sport where the average age is probably well over 30, we should be beyond cool or uncool, legit or not...it all falls in the ride what you like category.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:44 am

Ah eeree, you will be middle aged before you know it. By then, if you have worked hard to stay in shape and you can still kite, and if you have been successful enough in your career to be able to afford a nice vehicle, you will look at life differently.

But hey, if you think it will be cool to be middle aged, living in your Mom's basement driving a 20 year old Chevy Cavalier to the beach so you can fly your 20 year old C kites then all the power to you. We all get to make choices.

K

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:19 am

eree wrote:but when you see those middle aged cab owners driving to the beach in luxury sedans somehow it not looks so cool...
Not cool at all. Luxury sedans get stuck in the sand, and don't have enough room for the family! You need 4x4, brah!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:53 am

It's more than cool or not cool. Our local forums are full of comments about everything Cabrinha being crap. I don't understand why.

The most common is that Cabrinha kites are naturally attracted to trees. That's fine. It's a joke. But every time Cabrinha kites get discussed the threads deteriorate to endless jokes about tree eating kites.

I have well over 500 hours on Cabrinha gear. It has been excellent or I would not still be using it. I pay for my gear and I test ride stuff before I buy it. I don't buy stuff that I don't like.

I kite more than anybody else in our area. I work the gear fairly hard. Nothing significant has ever broken. The few minor issues have been sorted out immediately at the local shop (which is another reason I continue to buy Cabrinha stuff). It may not be the best stuff but it is pretty good.

It is too easy for me to just ignore the comments and just go out riding. I know I get to ride more and have a better time than all the clowns who make rude comments about Cabrinha gear. It's still strange that they feel the need to do it.

Luke Palin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Felixstowe Ferry
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Slingshot
Been thanked: 0

Postby Luke Palin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:22 am

alpower wrote:I don't know why but when someone has been on Kiteforum for less than a year and says he has been flying a certain brand of kite for 5 years, I get suspicious. Generally when you are learning to kite, kiteforum is one of the first things you are told about and find. Now, a guy who had nothing to say for at least the first 4 years he kited isn't sure if the kites he is flying for the last 5 years are cool. I say B.S.
Hi Alpower,

It wasn't a BS post- I am genuinely interested why people love to run down Cabrinha. Judging from some of the other comments, it looks like I'm not alone in thinking this. The guy who made the comment about 'Cabrinha riders being middle age men who drive to the beach in their Luxury Sedans' is exactly what I'm talking about. AIso, as OzBungy said, many people joke that Cabrinhas 'are attracted to/ eat trees' i.e. ONLY flown by learners. I can assure you that I'm not a beginner, I learnt in early 2006 on SB1, and have owned SB's (and Xbows ever since). I have always read the forums, but I only decided to 'sign up' when I had a question to ask (I think about SB's!- research if you want).

Luke.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:59 am

"being one of the leaders of the industry it has no plans to make prices more friendly. and this obsession to make bar system too complicated..."

Funny, personally I think Cabrinha got one of the simplest bar systems of them all, with Slingshot having one of the most complicated. Though, there is one thing I do not like; the donkey dick...my harness eats "the black cover"...

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Simply put they are overpriced and over engineered. My blunt smoking rabbits are simple and cheaper. It is all about personal choice and how/where you ride. I don't like the bar or long bridles. The sync pads are complete garbage. I love the wakeskate and the custom :thumb: . In the end who cares as long as you enjoy the kite.

There is nothing wrong with demoing other kites though. Well that is unless your scared you might find something you like better and is way cheaper and you don't want to feel like a tool for riding Cabs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”