Local Beach: California
Favorite Beaches: California, Hawaiian Beaches
Style: Spin
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why kite bags are so damn small?

Postby johnlcostillo » Mon May 09, 2011 6:59 am

Basically not all kite bags are small .If that would be the case, I think you need a lot of patience to fold it tighter. Above all, you have to deflate the kite before folding it.I believe that is the main reason it doesn't fit in. I hope this one helps.

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Tue May 10, 2011 8:12 pm

I have bag from North Vegas 12m² 2011 ('10 year bag has same size). I put inside:
— Vegas 12m²
— Vegas 9m² (two kites into one bag, yeah!)
— Harness
— Pump
— Bar
— Impact vest goes into pocket

Few advices:
— Don't forget to deflate kite :) Seriously, air inside bladders takes most volume
— Roll your kite tight, ask somebody for help. You can make it without sand and much quicker, if you have somebody. Another reason to make kite-friends :)
— Fold kite 2-3 times (depends on kite size). If you kite has cam battens (like mine), think about how to roll it and keep it foldable

mathieu leheilleix
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Le morne, Mauritius
Favorite Beaches: Le morne, Mauritius
Dolphin Beach, Cape Town
Style: Old school Free style
Gear: Ozone Enduro

Postby mathieu leheilleix » Fri May 13, 2011 1:44 pm

the Cab bags are getting worse each year. Back on the SW1 (2006 I think), you got a big bag with a zip = convenient & quick to pack.

Then back in 2009 (year of the SW3, i think?), they got rid of the zip... not clever but at least the bag was big enough...
Now it's a joke. packing a kite in smaller bags probably does not help as far as the lifespan of the kite is concerned.... maybe that's what they r after....

I know that smaller bags are better for oaks traveling by air but mots kiters tend to live directly on the coast therefore larger bags = better..

SlicerDicer
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui

Postby SlicerDicer » Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 am

mathieu leheilleix wrote:the Cab bags are getting worse each year. Back on the SW1 (2006 I think), you got a big bag with a zip = convenient & quick to pack.

Then back in 2009 (year of the SW3, i think?), they got rid of the zip... not clever but at least the bag was big enough...
Now it's a joke. packing a kite in smaller bags probably does not help as far as the lifespan of the kite is concerned.... maybe that's what they r after....

I know that smaller bags are better for oaks traveling by air but mots kiters tend to live directly on the coast therefore larger bags = better..
Learn to fold the kite? I mean seriously I have 2009 and 2010 cabs and have zero issues? I can even fit my bar in my 09 and 10 bags? I do not know why people are having such trouble.

http://imgur.com/a/I1tUE#laYPg There is my bags, This shows I have plenty of room

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 14, 2011 9:59 am

2010 bag for the 16 Xbow was too small at first and required a bit of work to make sure the kite was fully deflated but as the material has softened with use, it's now easier to pack.

Cab's 2011 bags for the 13 and 10 are fine, easy to pack up quick when you need to change kites before the sun sets :)

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Sorry for brining the name up... but the best kitebags i've seen so far are from my old Eclipse Thrusters...
-8m bag fits both 8m and 10m kites + bar, pump,board,harness all hanging on the exterior + lots and lots of small shit in the lid cover...
-14m bag fits both 14m and 10m + the same external stuff... although I had 2 boards on that bag once... and a SLR camera+3 lenses in the lid cover... :thumb:
-don't have to be super-anal when deflating and rolling the kite... these bags take any level of sloppiness and laziness...

The worst I've seen so far are:
-Cabrinha
-Naish (all the Sigma series kites at least)
-older Ozone bags... really hated the bag from my original 2006 Instinct as there was only one way to roll the kite to fit into the damn bag... :angryfire:

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Talking about big bags ...

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:00 pm

well, whoever starts to seeing this crap, click on the right knob and choose stopp.

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesVegas » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Who1 wrote:I've owned many different kites from different brands over the years
Almost all, without any exception came in a bag too small to properly fit the kite. Typically, you would need a 14 bag to fit a 9 kite.
I mean, typical bag size is good to fit the unused kite in a factory sterile conditions, but its a straggle to do it on the beach. I even once damaged the kite while trying to fit it in

Anyone have an explanation for this? I doubt its money, how much money would it cost to make the bag 10cm bigger?
Kite bags are not small, it's just that you don't know how to fold a kite properly. Go back to school.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:39 am

JamesVegas wrote:
Who1 wrote:I've owned many different kites from different brands over the years
Almost all, without any exception came in a bag too small to properly fit the kite. Typically, you would need a 14 bag to fit a 9 kite.
I mean, typical bag size is good to fit the unused kite in a factory sterile conditions, but its a straggle to do it on the beach. I even once damaged the kite while trying to fit it in

Anyone have an explanation for this? I doubt its money, how much money would it cost to make the bag 10cm bigger?
Kite bags are not small, it's just that you don't know how to fold a kite properly. Go back to school.
This might be true for some, but it can't be good for the kite to be packed up so tightly, especially when you have to roll it up with some sand on it. All the friction and tight creasing from folding it so tight is unnecessary when the bag is just the proper size.

To give an example, with my switchblades I had to roll them in to the middle as tightly as possible getting every possible bit of air out. Then fold it in thirds, and fold that whole thing in half again to make package about 0.5m x 0.5m that would fit into the square bag.

You learn how to do it and it's not a big deal, it's just annoying to have to pack it up so tight. If i'm packing up in a hurry because it's starting to rain, it's getting too dark to see, etc it's a pain in the ass to have to unfold it all and redo it because the damn bag is so small and the first attempt made it 1cm too big on one side.

The stuff sack idea like slingshot, liquid force, mutiny, flexifoil use is much better in my opinion, you can fold the kite a little looser and it doesn't wind up being that much bigger overall. I can fit a loosely rolled up kite, my pump, and bar inside my mutiny backpack and it's not that much bigger to let you do that. Just a different shape.

Return to “Kitesurfing”