Any Airush One owners out there?

Forum for kitesurfers
njrider
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Any Airush One owners out there?

Postby njrider » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Hey..This kite sounds to good to be true. Simple setup and good flying characteristics...why then are these not all over the beach?

Also, i mostly freeride would this kite be good for that?

jaysen5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sero & taurama Beach
Has thanked: 0

Postby jaysen5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:03 am

njrider: the kite is awesome, its just a little too out of the box for most people to consider as a potential new kite, then if they were interested its not an easy kite to find as most airush stockists don't hold this kite in fear they will not be able to sell it. you would have to buy without a demo and for a kite like this thats a hard pill to swallow.

its one draw back is that it is not easy to sell second hand for the same reason above.

which is a shame as it is a very very good kite to fly, its flying characteristics in the low end of its range in particular are a step above any kite on the market today.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Tue May 01, 2012 1:57 pm

i have noticed difference of shapes between 2011 9m and 12m if looking from riders point of view.
9 has lower AR roundish shape and 12 is thinner, higher AR. and i've noticed that 12th loses power in lulls and "waving" the kite does not help much. i mean turning speed is ok air speed is ok, but it just flying and doesn't have the power for moving me, same time 9th works good!
even flat profiled speed kites have more power on down stroke.

do 2012 bigger size Ones behave the same?

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Tue May 01, 2012 7:11 pm

eree wrote:"waving" the kite does not help much.
you are talking about the forward turning ability - continuous power and sometimes increased power through the turn.
The big Lithiums (12 and 14) are exceptional at this, but the One has power from the sheeting angle as opposed to the turning ability. I've tried the 9 and 15, both turned fast but did not drive relative to the Lithium and Varial X, that said they have bucket loads of sheet in power when you get enough wind to ride.. A characteristic of so many more extreme delta kites..
I'm looking forward to trying the 6m, forward turning is not such an issue in this size!

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Thu May 03, 2012 8:38 pm

i'm not talking about Lithiums, i'm talking about how One 12m is "switching off" in about 14knts quite suddenly, while One 9m is still able to pull you if you "sineing" it

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Fri May 04, 2012 5:53 am

Yep! I own the 9 and 12m ones and agree with your comment. The nine definitely overlaps the range of the 12m. To be honest, of I wasn't flying the 9m, I'd want to fly the 15m.

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Thu May 31, 2012 5:29 pm

Am I correct in reading that the 12 meter One has issues? Is this for the 2011 model only?...I'm a beginner (working on edging upwind) who has has about one season left on my 12 meter 09 Cabrinha Switchblade (it's getting tired)...Conceptually speaking, I'd like to replace it with a "light wind" alternative to use with my Spleene Door or a North Skimfish (another potential purchase recommended by a friend for light wind) for those after work 8-15 knot evenings - I weigh 158 lbs. Perhaps the 12 meter One is the right choice?

I've read the One has an edge over other kites in terms of relaunch in marginal conditions so I thought it might be an ideal choice. After reading some of your comments in terms of the 12 meter one "switching off" I wonder if this also an issue with the 2011 model, the 2012, or both years.

Am I perhaps better off with another kite; there's a score of kites to choose from. The biggest factor is relaunch-ability in the off and on evening conditions I plan on using it in. For anything stronger I have an 8 meter Switchblade and may consider filling in with something in between if need be. Your advice is appreciated. :)

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction

Postby Manuel V » Thu May 31, 2012 6:33 pm

windtzu wrote: Am I perhaps better off with another kite; there's a score of kites to choose from. The biggest factor is relaunch-ability in the off and on evening conditions I plan on using it in. For anything stronger I have an 8 meter Switchblade and may consider filling in with something in between if need be. Your advice is appreciated. :)
You can consider the Airush Lithium 14 LW have a great relaunch-ability and for a 14 M is
a fast kite.

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Thu May 31, 2012 7:21 pm

Hmm, thank you for the suggestion. Would a 12 meter Lithium serve my purpose as well, given I may be riding a light wind directional? I read they have decent power.

Return to “Kitesurfing”