Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which kiteboard is most like a snowboard?

Forum for kitesurfers
ryukyukiter
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which kiteboard is most like a snowboard?

Postby ryukyukiter » Sun May 15, 2011 11:53 am

I am curious to poll people who have tried a lot of different boards, or live in a location that allows them to demo many boards (as I currently do not).

Which board, in your experience, rides closest to the feel of riding a snowboard? I am rerally interested in how the board feels when riding. It should go without saying that only those with experience snowboarding should respond to this post.

Thanks in advance

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Which kiteboard is most like a snowboard?

Postby funalex » Sun May 15, 2011 12:31 pm

why do you want a snowboard feel ? I thinks, it's not the graal ! ..

but for sure, with straps, no board look like a snowboard, because of the lack of control. You need boots to approach a snowboard ride, with small fin and lot of flex...but no one want to go like that. because most of the time binding are used on a rigid and responsive board.

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Sun May 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Brokite freeride 134. I rode snowboards for about 8 years and this board is definitely the closest. You can lay down a turn with your nose brushing the water and the board will hold it's edge. It also rides very fast through chop and is a blast in waves. It's also a really nice jumper since you can ride it fast with a lot of edge control. This is the best board I've tried so far. They will be at the SPI kite roundup to demo so go check em out if you go.

geir
Medium Poster

Postby geir » Sun May 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Try out Ocean Rodeo Mako. The huge concave gives you that edge grip you know from snowboarding and the rounded tip outline a very carvy feel (you also know from snowboarding). The stance moves also more forward riding it and feels quite similare to riding a snowboard.

At least that's what it felt to me the first time I rode my homebuilt board that had the same features (concave+outline+single centered fin in tips). First time I rode it it felt like I had just stepped onto my snowboard in slushy conditions. Can't say for 100% sure (in a few days I can say for sure, my friend is getting the 140 Mako). Try to demo one or you could also go down the road I went and just build a board and experiment with the design features. (Does'nt have to be pretty, just do the job for experimenting)

poser
Medium Poster

Postby poser » Sun May 15, 2011 3:50 pm

i second the Mako

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Sun May 15, 2011 3:56 pm

I haven't tried the mako but if you want some flex in the board you might like the brokite better. It also has a 5/8" single concave so when riding it chop does not exist. This board also likes more of a balanced stance so it takes a minute or two to adjust but one thing that is unique is that if you shift your weight forward it creates a flat spot and it's like punching the accelerator. I've heard the mako is also a chop eater but i've heard it's stiff so it may not be as snowboard like. Unfortunately, you just have to try boards out to see what you like. I've tried aboards, litewave boards, crazyfly, best, slingshot, liquid force, and this brokite board is so much more fun. They are custom made so if you go to brokite.com you can e-mail Jerry and he can make one for you. He also might have some demo's he would sell at a discount.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Definitely the Mako, I came from a snowboarding background, not as much wakeboarding or surfing (other than longboarding). The Mako 140 is really fun, and rides with similar foot pressure to a snowboard.

I highly recommend it, the new ones have wood cores as well, so they should have a little more life and be a bit more durable.

Larse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lynæs , DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Favorite Beaches: Poppelvej, DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Style: Wakestyle/freestyle
Gear: LF Nirvana, Envy, LF DLX and LF LFX
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force and http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com

Postby Larse » Sun May 15, 2011 4:08 pm

To get that snowboard feeling you need bindings. Straps are so far away from snowboard as anything can be. As soon as you try boots on, you'll notice that you've way control and feel with board. It becomes a part of your leg.

But than again, I don't think you can really compare snowboard and kiteboard feels. You basically ride a kiteboard different, with way more heel pressure and back leg pressure.

It's like looking for a bicycle that rides like a motorcycle. It's not that same...

You need to explain exactly what you seek in your kiteboard. Better at carving? Better to hokd an edge? More loose? What do you mean by snowboard feel?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun May 15, 2011 5:44 pm

You don't ride a Mako with back leg, you ride with even front and back leg pressure. You can even lean forward into the board like a racing snowboard. I rode racing snowboards and hard boots for 10 years. Of all the kiteboards I have ridden, the Mako 150X40 is the closest to a snowboard feel, for me. I've owned the Mako King, the Mako 140 and the Mako 150 and the 150 feels the best. I demoed the Bro Kiteboard Freeride model recently and it is a really nice feeling board. The flex of the BroBoard is great, it carves well, is fast and forgiving and is light under your feet, the Mako carves better and eats chop better, but it is stiff and heavier. The best kiteboard I have ever ridden is the SU2 ProRider III Bamboo 135X41. SU2 made the original Wainman Blunt boards, which feel almost as good. The SU2 eats chop better than anything I've ever been on, it weighs nothing, carves as well as the Mako, goes upwind better, has great flex and is way faster.

Return to “Kitesurfing”