Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: Gaastra
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trip to Spain

Postby Charly » Mon May 23, 2011 11:30 am

Does anyone knows cool spots in Spain?

I heard that you can sleep in the beach and travel around Spain, renting a Van.

This could be great looking for waves or wind!

http://www.rentvanspain.com

Cheers for good holiday tip

DOMTARIFA
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 7
Local Beach: TARIFA SPAIN
Favorite Beaches: PARACURU BRAZIL
Style: wave, freeride
Gear: customs Rick Shape with Airush Flow
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Trip to Spain

Postby DOMTARIFA » Mon May 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi,

the best spots remains in Tarifa, 40km of beaches, with many different wind orientation and strenghts, flat or waves. Tarifa has the highest statistic for wind , there are many other places in Spain for kitesurfing, but none is as windy as Tarifa.

Dom
http://www.bullschool.com/

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Mon May 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Be aware that access is very limited in summer in Spain.

All beaches are generally closed to kiters and there are only a small number of spots specifically reserved for kites

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa

Postby el_guestos » Tue May 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Really depends on when you're looking at coming Charly. During the months of summer ie July/August some of the beaches have restrictions placed upon them, or are strictly zoned as to sunbathing, kitesurfing, windsurfing...that's not to say there's no kitesurfing beaches just that you'll have to search a little harder for them. During the months of summer the police take a noticeably dimmer view of people sleeping in vans on the beaches...this is for several reasons I imagine, litter, fires, broken glass and the local councils wanting the campsites to be full. Again doesn't mean you can't do it in the summer...just that you'll have to be a little more discreet.

Outside the summer it's much easier, most beaches are open for kitesurfing (at least along the Costa de la luz and the Costa del sol...can't really speak for the rest of Spain) and kitesurfers are pretty much left to regulate themselves. Sleeping in a van is also much easier especially if you move around a little.

As for where to go, I'm based in Tarifa so can speak for the South coast, but the entire Costa de la Luz is awesome and gives you good access to the S of Portugal as well, looking E you have the Costa del Sol, which while a little more built up does have some great little spots of its own. Apart from that I hear there's great kiting up near Barcelona and Valencia.

Hope that Helps,

:wink:

juaorpo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Spain
Favorite Beaches: Bimini

Postby juaorpo » Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 pm

el_guestos wrote:Really depends on when you're looking at coming Charly. During the months of summer ie July/August some of the beaches have restrictions placed upon them, or are strictly zoned as to sunbathing, kitesurfing, windsurfing...that's not to say there's no kitesurfing beaches just that you'll have to search a little harder for them. During the months of summer the police take a noticeably dimmer view of people sleeping in vans on the beaches...this is for several reasons I imagine, litter, fires, broken glass and the local councils wanting the campsites to be full. Again doesn't mean you can't do it in the summer...just that you'll have to be a little more discreet.

Outside the summer it's much easier, most beaches are open for kitesurfing (at least along the Costa de la luz and the Costa del sol...can't really speak for the rest of Spain) and kitesurfers are pretty much left to regulate themselves. Sleeping in a van is also much easier especially if you move around a little.

:wink:
Agreed.

I'm based in Valencia (east of spain). Don´t go to barcelona (whole Cataluña indeed) because they have very strong restrictions during summer time.

In Valencia (region Comunidad Valenciana) you have restrictions during summer but in general you can find a spot every 40-50 km maximum with an allowed to kitesurf regulated zone. You MUST be in one of these zones in order to kitesurf freely. Surfable winds are those coming from any E direction, (usually SE in summer is the local wind), between 10-22 knots tipically in summer (would say 2-3 days per week depending on the week, check windguru).

Just for your info, these zones are opened to everyone to do kitesurf, however there is usually a local club who take care of the zones. You don´t need to be a member in order to surf, but it is allways advisable to present yourself and ask them for special conditions of the zone (dangers, climate, winds, be nice and follow the rules in general...)

Among those zones, there are: Saler, Sidi Saler, Barraquetes, Tavernes, Gandia, Oliva (Piles), Calpe, Santa Pola. I guess you can find them on splocs. Going to the south (Murcia) there are nice spots in Mar Menor.

Regarding Tarifa, take into account it is a very different kind of spot. Stronger winds (20-35knots even more some days) which many days come from the E so they are offshore. It is a very more skill demanding region from my point of view. Crowded of kites/windsurfers in summer.

Last but not least, there is www.spainkiters.com where you can find different subgroups for each of the zones of spain. You will find more detailed info asking there. We are not a great english spaking country, but I am sure someone will read you and reply with info.

Daesoo
Medium Poster

Postby Daesoo » Tue May 24, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm going to Albir this summer and considering bringing my kite. Does anyone knows if there's a kitesurfing beach around Albir. Thanks...

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa

Postby el_guestos » Wed May 25, 2011 8:35 am

While juaorpo's right in saying we get E winds which blow offshore in Tarifa, there are plenty of beaches nearby where the wind is cross or cross onshore (and where you can kite in the summer) and in the summer there are safety boats patrolling the beaches where it is offshore so you can kite there in perfect flat water!

Not sure about Albir...where is it?

Daesoo
Medium Poster

Postby Daesoo » Mon May 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Albir is near Altea/Benidorm. Planning to bring my gear, but if there's no kitebeach around then ther's no point bringing my stuff.

juaorpo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Spain
Favorite Beaches: Bimini

Postby juaorpo » Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 am

Daesoo wrote:Albir is near Altea/Benidorm. Planning to bring my gear, but if there's no kitebeach around then ther's no point bringing my stuff.
If you ask in spainkiters under "Comunidad Valenciana" you will find more detailed info. However you have calpe 15km away from albir (altea), there you can surf S-SW-W. There is a local shop you can contact for info: http://www.unhkd.com/epages/62032746.sf ... nformation

EDITED: New summer time law says you can only kitesurf later than 19:00 (very few days wind will blow enough to kitesurf at that time). Details: http://www.spainkiters.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=87790

it is in spanish but this placed is located in a very tourist place, pretty sure the guy from there can speak english.

45 km to the north you can find denia, oliva, greatest spot (regarding number of people, wind strength) there you can surf SE-E-NE-N winds.

Closer should be santapola too, I don´t know much about this place, and going more to the south 80-100km you have mar menor, nearly all directions there can be surfable.

Return to “Kitesurfing”