Manzanita, Or
Maui
Style: Freestyle
Gear: F-One, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop Owner and PASA kiteboard instructor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cost Breakdown of Kite Package - Online Only vs Shop

Postby kochease » Wed May 25, 2011 3:58 am

TooMuchEpoxy:This, I feel is the role of shops for the kiting community, to mitigate the problems caused by inexperienced kiters and to represent the interests of these kiters to political entities which could instate a ban. (Keep the unskilled in line, fight the ban when they do step out of line) - In this case it is our responsibility to enforce this on out beaches, educate new kiters by sending them to qualified instructors.
One major flaw with what you think is the role of a shop in the kiting community. How are shops suppose to support the community kiting without retail and customers? Seriously are we your public servants living on donations working out the goodness of our hearts? Get real... Its a business and a poor one at that. All the shops in my area including myself spend a serious amount of time and money on preserving and bettering our kiting community because we believe in it. But without customers and a strong local support these efforts would not be possible.

Kite shops really do kind of get the shaft from all ends: government, manufacturers, customers yet I do it because I love the sport. No one around here is rich from it, hell I work a second full time job just to stay in business. But without shop support we wouldnt have the great kiting access we have now in the gorge plain and simple.

The Demo gear we provide people to try out doesnt come free, we have to buy that demo gear from the manufacturer and hope it turns into sales and that the demo gear can be sold at end of season when no one is buying. No matter how much I love the sport and want to help its continued safe growth, it is still a business that has to make money to survive or there wont be shops there to provide demo gear, parties, sponsor events and organizations, fight the government ect... Online is a huge part of the business for me, but even with online sales most of those sales are from the local kiting community and I appreciate there support.

http://www.air-pirate.com
2011 Epic renegade, 2011 Epic screamer, F-one Bandit 4, Airush
http://www.air-pirate.com/products/epic-renegade
http://www.air-pirate.com/product/2011-f-one-bandit-4

Craz Z
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Craz Z » Wed May 25, 2011 6:13 am

All the kites come from asian countries the difference is who's watching the process or btter yet who designed the process leave it to them and it will be shit that's for sure but remember the price will still be the same chinese knockoff or a topshelf kite will still be complete with bar around 370-470.

Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa
Been thanked: 0

Postby Drew22 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:56 am

Guess Ill make this my first post since the whole support your local shop really gets to me.

The support your local shop is a scam. I am super new and have been kiting for 4 months and thats all I hear support your local shop. The shops are lining thier pockets. Why should I pay more for a product to support your buisiness?People are getting tighter and tighter, not many people can afford an extra $200 dollars for a $500 board or $1500 kite to buy "local".

You posted the link to emerald for the 161 proof its 250 shipped board and fins. You have it on closeout fro 129.99+ 20s/h. Why wouldint I buy it direct from you? Im not a local to Washington I live on the east coast, doesnt support my local kiteboarding community,supporting advertising and marketing on a forum and magazine for you business doesnt count either. I bet if I go on your marked up gear.site order the board, your gonna process and ship and not say a thing about maybe my local kiteshop can match the price. I will say hooking up people with lessons for buying a kite is awsome I would have bought a kite at my local shop cause it would have evened out the extremely marked up prices. Sounds like your shop is different from most ive been to. Go to the local shop and ask them questions about your kite ect and see how quick they try to shove a 300 dollar lesson down your throat. "whats the best way to get a knot out of my line without ruining ............." Well its tricky if you wanna get 3 hours of lessons I can tell you and possibly even show you!"

I understand you run a business and its a tough economy you gotta survive. But dont bash other companies when your doing the same thing.

I think what thier doing is awsome, get rid of the middle man who passes the expenses of his overhead to the kiter and talks about keep it local brah.

Westwood
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Rep

Postby Westwood » Wed May 25, 2011 1:21 pm

some shops are worth keeping - some are not.

some online shops offer great value, great advice and great service.

it is more down to who does offer all you say you offer. many do not. heaps of demo kit, great advice and great community are very important. not many shops do that well though.

Cray
Medium Poster

Postby Cray » Wed May 25, 2011 1:46 pm

An interesting thread. I favour the local shops and here are my 2€ cents:

Local shops should:
- provide good support for whatever brand they carry
- work with local government and other water interest groups (bird people, windsurfers, fisherman, tourist workers...) to promote and defend kiteing
- provide lessons or work with kite schools
- be involved with local government to arrange for beach access/kite centres...
- have flexible prices (we earn 1/2 as much as Germany based employee for the same work and we have almost the same prices for equipment so discounts are mandatory)

If they don't do that, we don't need them :P. Luckily our local shop provides 1/2 of the above and I really like it. Of course if they hype the price too much I walk out and buy online.

=================
For the kite companies, they should:
- support local shops with free demo equipment (wanted to demo Core Kites, it didn't happen and I even contacted the kite company directly for help)
- have regional logistics (store only collects orders and kite is shipped from regional warehouse)
- stores don't need to keep equipment on store or they should be able to return it and swap it for a new model. It's the banks job to provide loans, not the stores.

=================
As for the kiters: just remember that brand loyalty will get you just high prices. Swap the kites for whomever provides better service, price and support and don't be a brand whore :P. All the kites are expensive and over-hyped on quality and performance ;-). Liked most kites I've laid my hands on.

And if the kite sales margins were really that low, and R&D/PR costs were that high, there wouldn't be 10 new kite companies each year. :-).

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed May 25, 2011 5:55 pm

Why is the number of kite manufacturers increasing and the number of surf shops decreasing?

Because making kites is profitable, selling them isn't!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 25, 2011 6:10 pm

windmaker wrote:Why is the number of kite manufacturers increasing and the number of surf shops decreasing?
I'd like to see where you get this data.
Because making kites is profitable, selling them isn't!
Obviously if there are imbalances it will correct itself. It is impossible to have a situation like what you are describing over time.

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Wed May 25, 2011 6:28 pm

I used to do what I love. Couldn't make a decent living doing it. I "sold out" went back to school, and work a desk job which supports me and my hobby and gives me the flexibility to take off whenever there's wind. Not everyone gets to live the dream. It's a sad fact. Sorry if i don't feel like subsidizing someone else's dream after i've given up on mine...

On a Rampage
Medium Poster

Postby On a Rampage » Wed May 25, 2011 8:17 pm

This is another funny thread. If there were no shops, kiteboarding would be banned in most places. Let's take Miami for example. If the shops were not there, all of the riding spots would be banned. If we left it to the riders, we would end up like Hobie Beach. CLOSED!! Shops care about the area they ride within and take care of any problems, unlike most riders that go on vacation to other places and ride like jackasses because it"s not their spot.

All the companies that have started out with direct sales have ended up in shops after a few years due to lack of sales. Take Best for example. Started out just like Switch and BWS. No middle men. Best is now in 100s of shops and has one of the most expensive kites on the market. From many sources, BWS's sales have been very poor. I expect them to be in shops in the next year or so or out of business.

I also find it amusing that @ 1 year ago, all the same reps, riders and designers of Eclipse were all boasting the 2011 C-kite that was said to be the best ever. Now these same riders are boasting that these kites are the best. Coincidence? I see rebadged Eclipse kites. Anyone else?

bikesandboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St Heliers. Muriwai. The Ditch. Orewa

Postby bikesandboards » Wed May 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Also... here is a video of last year's 6m Envy in action in case people want to say that the Envy is "just a beginner kite"... It is a hugely versitile kite.... like most kites out on the market these days.
Not to get sidetracked but THAT's your video for showing it's not a beginner kite? Granted the wind may be high but there is nothing above amateur-riding on display here

Return to “Kitesurfing”