Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice, first time kite buy Asia!! What size?

Forum for kitesurfers
shifty
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Whole South Coast, anything around Portsmouth although I'm on a years travelling adventure so trying to hit anywhere and everywhere!!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice, first time kite buy Asia!! What size?

Postby shifty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi my name is Toby and I have found a new addiction........ Kiteboarding!!!!! I have always wanted to learn at home but the money and cold water has put me off to learn in. My girlfriend and I are currently travelling and have just learnt to kite off of Mui Ne beach, Vietnam. Both of us love it but the rental side is going to be to expensive as we carry on.

Basically we are going to buy some kit and we are looking for advice on what size kite to buy for are travels ahead!? We plan to hit Thailand (Pranburi, Phuket, where ever the wind is etc.) around june\july and then rocking onto Bali july\aug\sept. We both way similar, me at about 73kg and her at about 60kg.

All we are looking for is advice on what size to buy because everyone is so opinionated where we are its starting to get a little confusing on what to buy, Also any advice on what kite to go for as we have a lot of choice, mainly second hand (due to trying to budget a little)

Hope you guys can help. :thumb:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Advice, first time kite buy Asia!! What size?

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:23 am

Welcome! :thumb:

There are a few guys here based in Thailand, so they'll be able to give you better info on weather ...

We're thinking about heading to Bali late July or early August too ... you'll need a bigger kite there apparently ...

shifty
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Whole South Coast, anything around Portsmouth although I'm on a years travelling adventure so trying to hit anywhere and everywhere!!

Postby shifty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:42 am

Nice one thanks, we think we will need a big kite in Thailand as well but its trying to find the middle man so we are not over powered when we hit OZ and NZ after Bali!!

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:51 am

Depending on the brand a 13-14 sm kite...
Bye Jankie

clubkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sanur, Bintan, Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Sanur Bali, Secret beach in Bintan
Style: Wakestyle, freestyle, freeride
Gear: Epic Renegade, Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Speed 3
Brand Affiliation: Epic, Ocean Rodeo, Flysurfer,

Postby clubkite » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:55 am

Hi Toby

General rule of thumb for beginners is small kite big board. Safer that way.

1) One kite set up - 12m kite with a 138X39cm board
2) Two kite set up - 11m & 13m with 134 and 140 board

Try not to buy a kite that is too old, more than 2 or 3 years old. Newer kites generally have a bit more power, ie 2008-12m = 2011-11m. Always best to demo before buying...

shifty
Rare Poster

Postby shifty » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:40 am

I have just bought a 12m 2011 s-bow starkite, we got what I thought to be a good price on it!!! We paid 600 US dollarsor 365 English pounds! We are happy, just trying to decide whether to big the mystic shadow harness or whether to wait for more choice at the next place we roll to!!! :nono: :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”