Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Free kitesurfing is no longer “free” to Greece - banned!

Forum for kitesurfers
chris1974
Rare Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: Flexifoil ION3 8.5+10.5
Flexifoil Delta Board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Free kitesurfing is no longer “free” to Greece - banned!

Postby chris1974 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:04 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Ned Divine wrote:What is falafel? What am I missing? :?: :?: :lol:
Seriously? :o or did I spell it wrong?
falafel is Lebanese mate...not Greek
it is nice though :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

ID
Medium Poster

Postby ID » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:27 am

i would like to ask again about the translation... i also put the text in the internet translator, but this leaves many details and formulations unclear,which can in the end make a whole lot of difference... can anybody from greek participants of this discussion post a real translation please...

yea, what are the real reasons behind this regulation?
and how it is gonna be enforced in real life on each particular beach?
how the kite business owners who already started their season gonna deal with that?
and who is actually really affected by this new regulation?
have you booked/planned your holiday already and don't know what to do?

last year "kitesurfing did not exist", now right at the beginning of season we are signing a petition. very interesting timing.

it looks now like tourist kiters, with no real background information, and maybe even not directly involved/affected internet "activists" are making loud discussion and signing the petition...
while some of those involved ask them to be silent, which is of course understandable in some ways....
Last edited by ID on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:48 am

ID wrote:i would like to ask again about the translation... i also put the text in the internet translator, but this leaves many details and formulations unclear,which can in the end make a whole lot of difference... can anybody from greek participants of this discussion post a real translation please...

yea, what are the real reasons behind this regulation?
and how it is gonna be enforced in real lif eon each particular beach?
how the business owners who already started their season gonna deal with that?
have you booked/planned your holiday already and don't know what to do?
why the greeks choose to risk part of their tourism, very important one in same places, in this way, again, as an addition to manyother problems they face?

last year "kitesurfing did not exist", now right at the beginning of season we are signing a petition. very interesting timing. and it is true, it seems like the schools/centres who should be affected most are silent.

it looks now like tourist kiters, with no real background information and maybe even not directly involved/affected internet "activists" are making loud discussion and signing the petition...
hile some of those involved ask them to be silent, which is of course understandable in some ways....
The law does not risk losing part of the tourism. This thread does, though, because it creates the impression of a big problem...Read the above posts and you will find answers to all your questions.
Regulating kiting activities is not a risk to tourism, kiting amongst swimmers is a great risk to tourism. The moment a tourist is beheaded by a front line of some imbecile, the whole of the European press will be full of anger for Greece not regulating kiting activities.
The law is just silly on some points, e.g. this 50m distance between kiters (ha,ha,ha) or the fact that it does not allow kiting in deserted beaches. As already said, both will be no problem during enforcement, I bet you my Speed3! 8)

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:52 am

It brought out a law that practically banns kiting from 99,9% of Greek beaches, unless the certain beach complies with a huge list of requirements, unrealistic requirements to kiters! whoever wrote the list has in my view no experience of any water sports ,let alone kiting.

Greece has hundreds if not thousands of beaches that kiters can go and kite without bothering the swimmers or holiday makers, but now kiting on them is banned as well.
I dont think there are more than 10 organized beaches that comply with the new law, in the entire Greece!

And even if you, for arguments sake, go there to kite you have to have: a sea corridor 100m X 100m to go in the water, thats ok you might say, but listen to the following: each kiter has to have 50m distance from another kiter and from the corridor (entry point into the water). As a result only on kiter can go in and out though the corridor!!! How ridiculous is that!

Please fellow kiters if you booked or planning to book your kiting holidays in Greece, put pressure on your Travel/Tour Operators and ask them if they can guarantee you that you will be able to kite when your reach your Greek destination.

This is crazy!!!
It makes sense to ban kiting from some beaches, but a lot of kitebeaches in Greece are not the most popular beaches for sunbathers. Greece used to be my favorite holiday destination, but now I don´t now if I ever what to go there again...
I know that Greece will lose a lot of rich kitesurfing tourists that spend a lot of money on their holiday for sure. I´ve bin recomending Greece, but can´t anymore...

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:13 am

john a wrote:
It brought out a law that practically banns kiting from 99,9% of Greek beaches, unless the certain beach complies with a huge list of requirements, unrealistic requirements to kiters! whoever wrote the list has in my view no experience of any water sports ,let alone kiting.

Greece has hundreds if not thousands of beaches that kiters can go and kite without bothering the swimmers or holiday makers, but now kiting on them is banned as well.
I dont think there are more than 10 organized beaches that comply with the new law, in the entire Greece!

And even if you, for arguments sake, go there to kite you have to have: a sea corridor 100m X 100m to go in the water, thats ok you might say, but listen to the following: each kiter has to have 50m distance from another kiter and from the corridor (entry point into the water). As a result only on kiter can go in and out though the corridor!!! How ridiculous is that!

Please fellow kiters if you booked or planning to book your kiting holidays in Greece, put pressure on your Travel/Tour Operators and ask them if they can guarantee you that you will be able to kite when your reach your Greek destination.

This is crazy!!!
It makes sense to ban kiting from some beaches, but a lot of kitebeaches in Greece are not the most popular beaches for sunbathers. Greece used to be my favorite holiday destination, but now I don´t now if I ever what to go there again...
I know that Greece will lose a lot of rich kitesurfing tourists that spend a lot of money on their holiday for sure. I´ve bin recomending Greece, but can´t anymore...
I find it incredible who dramatic people can be! Please read all the posts, not just the scary ones to create a clear picture of this. Do not respond dramatically to dramatic posts because more people will be mislead and then there will be more room for kiting, more room for swimming - more tourists - but some will lose the joy of kiting in Greece for no real reason at all. To put it differently, if someone was planning to kite in Greece where people swim, then it is good news if they cancel their trip.

Pumma
Medium Poster
Local Beach: KiteBeach Maui , MuiNe Vietnam , Paje Zanzibar , Hua Hin Thailand , 'Secret Spot' Greece
Favorite Beaches: KiteBeach Maui
Gear: North Vegas , Flexifoil Hadlow Wake , Ronix Parks , RipCurl

Postby Pumma » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:43 am

Hello from Greece,

Yeaah it's true that there is a new law in Greece that bans kitesurfing.
However, only certain spots (in mainland Greece) have problems with the
local authorities until now. The Greek islands are not influenced by this
law where you can freely kite without any trouble!

As Dimitris referred above the laws in Greece are not followed the most of
the times but this is not something that we should ignore and we should
react quickly and smart!

For this reason please spread and sigh the online petition! Already in
Greece, through the online community (kiteclub.gr), the Greek kiters
coordinate the next steps by arranging meetings with the authorities and
sending complaint e-mails in sites and blogs! The issue is getting huge
publicity and expects to find a solution very soon.

If you want to help sign the online petition

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:02 am

Pumma wrote:Hello from Greece,

Yeaah it's true that there is a new law in Greece that bans kitesurfing.
Here we go again ... Have you read the law?
You have good intentions but you get the wrong result
with such statements... To ban means to ban. To regulate doesn't mean to ban.
Mercy!

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride
Gear: AGAMA KOMODO board, Affinis 12m kite
Brand Affiliation: AGAMA EXTREME

Postby abel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:11 am

This is my comment in the petition:
If government/municipies/associations rulers expect people to follow some rules, they have to be such that they can easily be understood and followed.
They should be no-brainer and refrain from POPULAR antagonism; otherwise there will be not enough manpower (police/inspectors/guards) to keep them.
THINK ABOUT THAT!
And that should go for all practical laws/rules in all democratic countries.
Think of the zillion laws that are not even possible to understand, not to mention to follow.

Pumma
Medium Poster
Local Beach: KiteBeach Maui , MuiNe Vietnam , Paje Zanzibar , Hua Hin Thailand , 'Secret Spot' Greece
Favorite Beaches: KiteBeach Maui
Gear: North Vegas , Flexifoil Hadlow Wake , Ronix Parks , RipCurl

Postby Pumma » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:19 am

yes I have read the law and I know very well what it says. Yes they tried to regulate it but this resulted in a ban on most beaches

PAROSKITE
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Paros Kiteboarding Center
Pounda Paros island
Favorite Beaches: South Africa - Cape town
Style: waves
Gear: Stribog surf boards, Eclipse kites
Brand Affiliation: www.paroskite.gr

Postby PAROSKITE » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:46 am

its starts to get pathetic continuing that post...

Kitesurf is free in Greece, just respect the rules and thats about swimmers, sunbathers, wear your safety, and stay away from ports.

Return to “Kitesurfing”