Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Drysuit recommendation please ...

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Krazy Koika wrote:It comes down to convenient piss zips for me

Snip...

Peter_Frank,
To do a piss in a Gul Astro, do you need to take your shoulders out completely? (Get half undressed to do so?) Or can you unzip the first part and piss from there?
Nope - not necessary to take it off your shoulders :naughty:

We use these suits in the winther, with a warm undersuit underneath.

The undersuit many of us use is fleece with a double zip so you can just open the lower part of the drysuit zipper as much as needed, and zip the innersuit up a bit (here the double zipper is a must have for winther use with innersuit).

But you have to take your harness off (or loosen it) I think - I have to do that before taking a piss from the Gul drysuits 8)

I have had the Astro, but am using a Gul Shadow (with latex feet) now.

The front zipper is the same type in both.

Actually much more comfortable than most 5/4/3 wetsuits, because so much easier to take a piss (thats a nightmare from a 5/4/3 as you almost have to take it completely off - especially the "climb into the neck" types :o )

:D Peter

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Telekiter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:41 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Nope - not necessary to take it off your shoulders :naughty:

We use these suits in the winther, with a warm undersuit underneath.

The undersuit many of us use is fleece with a double zip so you can just open the lower part of the drysuit zipper as much as needed, and zip the innersuit up a bit (here the double zipper is a must have for winther use with innersuit).

But you have to take your harness off (or loosen it) I think - I have to do that before taking a piss from the Gul drysuits 8)

I have had the Astro, but am using a Gul Shadow (with latex feet) now.

The front zipper is the same type in both.

Actually much more comfortable than most 5/4/3 wetsuits, because so much easier to take a piss (thats a nightmare from a 5/4/3 as you almost have to take it completely off - especially the "climb into the neck" types :o )

:D Peter
Hej Peter.
Now that you tried both ankle seals and latex feet, which one do you like the best?
I use the GUL infra with latex feet and I was considering changing for a ankle seel suit. The reason was the bulkyness that comes with latex feet AND it is very hard to find footwear that fits on latex feet (all wetboots seams to be Split Toe nowdays, which doesn´t go very well with latex feet). I did find a pair of ONeill 3mm boots that is not split toe and works ok. Though latex feet is much easier to get in and out of.

/Urban.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90,105,110cm
Moses Fluente 550/590 + 330/325 and 633 se
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:14 pm

I use a Mystic drysuit with rear entry and some of the material is " breathable". Only use it in sub 8-10c air and 10c water. Otherwize i will boil in it.

even in 8c i am sweating- i use polyprop underwear and wicking fleece etc. still gets clammy in there. Its like wearing a plastic sack.

i dont think you will improve your comfort dramatically- But i´d pick a front entry, breathable suit designed for kayaking- they are not intended for immersion, but more physical activity. Where fleece and polarguard under it.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Piss apart, I use my OR pyro pro in sub zero or single digit temps ( Celsius), and it is so nice to get out of the suit, not wearing a Speedo.

monacoboy
Rare Poster

Postby monacoboy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:00 am

Flipper231> Why do ya say its so nice to get out of the suit??
Sorry, I just didnt get it^^

wadoepotatoe
Rare Poster

Postby wadoepotatoe » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 am

Don't overlook the OR Pyro Pro just because it doesn't have a piss-zip. I've been using mine for the last 2 years in sub zero temps and it's been amazing!

-Wade.

STF
Very Frequent Poster

Postby STF » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Sweet photo bro.

Would love to give something like that a go one day.

E-Rock
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: All Of MA is a kiters playground...
Favorite Beaches: Cape Pouge MV, WD Pond, PBay, Katama,
Style: freestyle, big air

Postby E-Rock » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:23 pm

My opinion is that it comes down to preference.There are so many reviews and opinions on this forum and others for this reason. You will find a multitude of discussions on what is better, what suit to get, etc. This comes up every year.

Realistically both are safe if you use them within their means. Yes you can damage a drysuit more easily however most out there are pretty rugged and can be patched. They are more expensive however.

In terms of pissing I have found the NPX to be best however there are other options.

Personally I was using the NPX lucifer for two seasons and loved it. However it had a warranty issue and due to time delay with the 2010's I exchanged it for a wetsuit. Now couldnt be happier with it and much prefer the wetsuit to the drysuit. I got the 5/4/3 NPX Zealot. It has gotten me through all winter and I am actually warmer then I was in a drysuit.

So I guess I would suggest going to a store and trying some stuff on. See what feels more comfortable for you...I would not rule out a wet suit though the newest ones from West and NPX are superb and keep you extremely warm while they flex and move like a 4/3.

You can check some other candid discussion here, I found it useful previously.

http://masskiting.com/kiteboarding-foru ... s-dry-suit

talks about the OR suit

http://masskiting.com/boston-cape_cod-n ... suit-worth

both OR and Lucifer as well as wetsuit discussion.

Hope this helps there is so much opinion out there I really think you need to try them on based on your top choices.

Krazy Koika
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: 13th Beach, Bells Beach, Corsair, Cheviots

Postby Krazy Koika » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:28 am

E-Rock wrote: Personally I was using the NPX lucifer for two seasons and loved it. However it had a warranty issue and due to time delay with the 2010's I exchanged it for a wetsuit. Now couldnt be happier with it and much prefer the wetsuit to the drysuit. I got the 5/4/3 NPX Zealot. It has gotten me through all winter and I am actually warmer then I was in a drysuit.
Thanks E-rock. If you were happy with the Lucifer for two seasons, they can't be 'as bad' as what most reviews say.

I'm not fond of wetsuit as you can imagine trying to wear one for hours on end without getting wet is uncomfortable. Where as for my needs, I believe something like the Lucifer could be perfect. I would never put it through what a kite surfer does, but for when I do get into the water, it will keep me dry.

Are the 2011 NPX Lucifer suits different to 2010 versions?

E-Rock
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: All Of MA is a kiters playground...
Favorite Beaches: Cape Pouge MV, WD Pond, PBay, Katama,
Style: freestyle, big air

Postby E-Rock » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:59 pm

I have been told by a friend of mine who sells NPX that the 2011 is totally different. In terms of materials anyway. It is supposed to "breath" better, I think the hood is detachable, and they improved the stitching. However that is just what I remember hearing over the winter.

I think the lucifer catches a lot of crap for being about style and not performance. However I have never met anyone who put one on and rode with it that did not love it. Maybe there is someone on this forum but personally I loved it. I will say you want to try one on if at all possible. They run big, or at least they used to so sizing can be a little bit of a pain in the ass.

Anyway like I said before I think it is all about personal preference and what you have used before. There are a lot of quality options out there.

Cheers!

Return to “Kitesurfing”