Forum for kitesurfers
Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best Action Camera

Postby Phillipp » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 pm

I was wondering if those that have used action cameras during kiteboarding could comment on the pros and cons of the various models (GoPro HD, Contour, Drift, etc.).

Does anyone have experience with the line mount? The mounting up in the kite is a bit too far and gets quite boring after a while? What are the best mounts for interesting footage or is it better just to pass the cam to a friend for filming?

Thanks

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Best Action Camera

Postby eldadgold » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:05 pm

I think that the drift is only water resist and not water proof.

Has anyone used this one:

http://www.tachyoninc.com/microhd.php

?

ryanroberts1983
Frequent Poster

Postby ryanroberts1983 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:55 am

Phillipp wrote:I was wondering if those that have used action cameras during kiteboarding could comment on the pros and cons of the various models (GoPro HD, Contour, Drift, etc.).

Does anyone have experience with the line mount? The mounting up in the kite is a bit too far and gets quite boring after a while? What are the best mounts for interesting footage or is it better just to pass the cam to a friend for filming?

Thanks

Contour GPS by far. kitehero dot com / contour

LOCATION BASED!!!!!!!!! Record your speed, distance, jump height and everything else in 135* 1080p video. Flat out unbeatable.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:09 am

GoPro - in my experience ...
+ massive array of mounts, good IQ and response to conditions, NTSC/PAL framerates 25/30 and high speed 50/60fps, good frame size options, widest (?) FOV, charges from any USB - get a 2A charger for your car and it'll be charged by the time you get to the beach :o
- no remote, bulky, mounts can break at the case, LCD screen is separate (but big) and adds bulk, fogging issues, jelly-fishing at full HD and low framerate

Drift is not waterproof - I emailed the company, they said they're working on a case but in the mean time, use a ziplock bag type solution - which is no real solution :( that's a camera I'd like to try though ...

Oregon Scientific ATC9K has the edge over Contour IMHO cos of the LCD screen ... but GPS - great toy :D ATC9K has a G-meter and laser for sighting, and a remote ...

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Phillipp » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Ryan,

what mount do you recommend for the Contour? I thought of using the kiteline mount that works with the GoPro HD (presume it would also work with th e Contour?)

There are 3 models in the Countour range.... Countour + (which has the GPS), Contour GPS and Contour HD.

I'm wondering if this is a gadget that is best used when others are filming you instead of having it mounted on the tip of the board or in the kite lines or up in the kite?

What's your experience?
ryanroberts1983 wrote:
Phillipp wrote:I was wondering if those that have used action cameras during kiteboarding could comment on the pros and cons of the various models (GoPro HD, Contour, Drift, etc.).

Thanks

Contour GPS by far. kitehero dot com / contour

LOCATION BASED!!!!!!!!! Record your speed, distance, jump height and everything else in 135* 1080p video. Flat out unbeatable.

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Phillipp » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:21 pm

How have you used the GoPro? What's the best mount? If i go with it, I would buy the LCD display and the line mount for the kite lines... Have you used it?

Kamikuza wrote:GoPro - in my experience ...
+ massive array of mounts, good IQ and response to conditions, NTSC/PAL framerates 25/30 and high speed 50/60fps, good frame size options, widest (?) FOV, charges from any USB - get a 2A charger for your car and it'll be charged by the time you get to the beach :o
- no remote, bulky, mounts can break at the case, LCD screen is separate (but big) and adds bulk, fogging issues, jelly-fishing at full HD and low framerate

Drift is not waterproof - I emailed the company, they said they're working on a case but in the mean time, use a ziplock bag type solution - which is no real solution :( that's a camera I'd like to try though ...

Oregon Scientific ATC9K has the edge over Contour IMHO cos of the LCD screen ... but GPS - great toy :D ATC9K has a G-meter and laser for sighting, and a remote ...

tracstarr
Medium Poster

Postby tracstarr » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:27 pm

I have used the contour hd for several months now. it's a really great camera and there are lots of new mounting options. I have also converted to go pro line mount to use the contour. There is a new camera on the market that looks promising. http://replayxd.com/replay-xd1080-camera/

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:17 pm

tracstarr wrote:I have used the contour hd for several months now. it's a really great camera and there are lots of new mounting options. I have also converted to go pro line mount to use the contour. There is a new camera on the market that looks promising. http://replayxd.com/replay-xd1080-camera/
Not water proof....

juaorpo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Spain
Favorite Beaches: Bimini
Style: Freeride

Postby juaorpo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Phillipp wrote:How have you used the GoPro? What's the best mount? If i go with it, I would buy the LCD display and the line mount for the kite lines... Have you used it?

Kamikuza wrote:GoPro - in my experience ...

Framerate of gopro is 60fps in 720p....

Anyway, regarding mounts. I have tested kitehero linemount and is the best mount for kite lines in my opinion (actually I think is the only one commercially available). It is quite good. Anyway consider always leashing your camera to your lines/bar/something (that depends on your kite) in case it falls or any unlucky event.

Also having something in your lines has always a potential risk of a line getting tangled, or depending on your kite model it can eventually affect your safety system. Take that into account. I have used it 6-7 times and had no problem so far....

I don´t use the lcd backpack by the way. take into account that any camera that goes into a waterproof housing should not be opened in the beach because it can get humidity inside the housing and then cause condesation/fogging.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:26 am

Used the GoPro on the board, on the lines, on my helmet ... on the bike ... on a pole in the snow :lol:
Best mount is the right one for the job ;)
IIRC LCD comes with its own waterproof door and can be turned on and off - no need to open the case.

Having had the GoPro ... I'd go with another camera simply to try something else. It's pretty good value for money though! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”