Local Beach: COCOA BEACH
Gear: NAISH, CABRINHA
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Metal Slider for Pulley Replacement

Postby MUDSUX » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I have tried searching this forum for 3 days but can't find any information. Maybe it's because I don't know the proper name for them. I am looking to replace all the pulleys on my kite with the metal sliders that some kite companies are beginning to use. There are no moving parts. I heard they are used in the paragliding industry but I can't find any info about them. I have 2 paragliders and they have no such slider in the bridle or risers, they use plastic pulleys for the speed system, like the ones we have now on our kite. I only found one picture that shows it clearly. It's from a Cabrinha Convert. Anyone know where I can buy these? From an aftermarket place, not Cabrinha. Thanks
Attachments
convert_pulley_Cabrinha_2011.jpg
convert_pulley_Cabrinha_2011.jpg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 2190 times

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Metal Slider for Pulley Replacement

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:20 am

Have a sniff around the Cab website and you'll find a page that lists all the parts you can order ... might even be the catalog. Get the name from there.
I've not seen them anywhere else although you can get 'eye' rings that you loop line around the outside ...

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:05 am

Not exactly what your looking for but, Google...
Antal low friction aluminum rings

MUDSUX
Medium Poster

Postby MUDSUX » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:01 am

zerogee_ca wrote:Not exactly what your looking for but, Google...
Antal low friction aluminum rings
Thanks, that's the closest yet. I can't believe how hard it is to find these things. Is it a proprietary thing from Cabrinha? Somehow I doubt that.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:14 am

MUDSUX wrote:Thanks, that's the closest yet. I can't believe how hard it is to find these things. Is it a proprietary thing from Cabrinha? Somehow I doubt that.
Not on the idea, but that shape may be their own mold or something ... didn't Slingshot have something similar?

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 am

What do you expect from the metal rings compared to the normal pulleys? To avoid pulley failure?

To my understanding the metal rings on Cabrinha kites stay in position during normal flight. They only move across the bridle line when you extremely depower the kite.

I doubt a metal ring would work when it constantly slides over the bridle line.

Werys
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cadiz
Style: Freeride

Postby Werys » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 am

try to find Ronstan´s catalog. they´ve got a lot of sail accesories

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:37 am

i replaced the pulleys on my charger 15 with stainless steel rings. works just as good as the pulleys--or better since the pulleys were always stuck. the stainless ring works exactly like what you have pictured but cost a BUNCH less.

MUDSUX
Medium Poster

Postby MUDSUX » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Arcsrule wrote:i replaced the pulleys on my charger 15 with stainless steel rings. works just as good as the pulleys--or better since the pulleys were always stuck. the stainless ring works exactly like what you have pictured but cost a BUNCH less.
Hey Arc, I am thinking the same thing if I can't find the right one. The pulley on my Bularoo and Cult is beginning to wear out. You can tell they are not freely spinning because the rope is cutting a channel into the plastic wheel. What year is your Charger? I have a 2011 Charger with the Ronstan Orbits on the main load bearing line and 2 more regular smaller pulleys on each side of the bridle. That is 6 total. The bridle on the 2011 Charger seems a bit complicated but it flies real well.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:47 pm

I am a bit amazed about this - as even if you got good pulleys (they dont get stuck if you just use 2 seconds every time you rig), you will still wear slightly on your bridals after a long time of use.

So stuck pulleys or fixed rings/metal sliders would wear even more, no matter what, right ?

Of course, one can also just change bridals more often if one prefers that :wink:

This is the "classic" one used on my kites, and got no problems having them roll totally "free" even after several years of heavy/often usage in sand :

But on the other hand - simplicity without moving parts, is in itself a good thing though, I agree :thumb:

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”