Forum for kitesurfers
slackercruster
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Are kites usually illegal at lakes?

Postby slackercruster » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Just geting started. I aksed a guy in St Martin about kites and told him I'm from Ohio and would plan to use the kite at a lake. He said it might be illegal. Is that how it is at most lakes? He said I would do better with windsurfing.

Thanks

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Are kites usually illegal at lakes?

Postby eldadgold » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:15 pm

first i've heard about

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Many people kite on lakes in the usa, specially great lakes!

In Germany it is generally forbidden to ride in inland shipping waterways...and on some lakes it is forbidden as well.

And next time someone tells you to go windsurfing, tell them, that windsurfing has been cancelled! ;-)

seanflex
Medium Poster
Style: free
Gear: flysurfer outlaw 10m, ozone acces

Postby seanflex » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:02 pm

you might of herd about a spot at the lake refuses kiters but the hole lake, not sure about that.

JBD
Medium Poster

Postby JBD » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:51 pm

In the case of Ohio it may be correct. I recall hearing about some law they have on the books baning wind sports on inland lakes. I know you will be ok on Lk Erie as i know a lot of guys who kite there. There's a Ohio specific forum on kiteus that you could also ask the question.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:55 pm

slackercruster wrote:Just geting started. I aksed a guy in St Martin about kites and told him I'm from Ohio and would plan to use the kite at a lake. He said it might be illegal. Is that how it is at most lakes? He said I would do better with windsurfing.

Thanks
kitesurfing is not illegal anywhere in ohio for the simple reason literally nobody kites the inland lakes there. And the reason nobody kites there is there is no wind.

You have to go all the way north to lake erie to kite.

Why would someone from St Martin know anything about ohio.

I know someone else on this forum is trying to kite on buck creek and mostly failing because of course these inland lakes are terribly gusty and have barely any wind.

Oh and parasailing and kite tubing is illegal in ohio --- these are sports where a boat tows something that flies in the air (and sometimes onto land). . . and anytime I go out on an inland lake where parasailing is banned all of the spectators ask me why I'm parasailing and I have to explain I'm kiting not parasailing.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:04 pm

slackercruster wrote:Just geting started. I aksed a guy in St Martin about kites and told him I'm from Ohio and would plan to use the kite at a lake. He said it might be illegal. Is that how it is at most lakes? He said I would do better with windsurfing.

Thanks
Not necessarily "illegal" but more likely "impracticle" and potentially unsafe in many cases on inland lakes. Some lakes are great for kiting as long as you have a safe place to launch and land; minimal hazards in/on/at the edge of the water; docks, weeds, power boat traffic, etc... can be a problem; you must have adequate "fetch" for clean wind (minimum 1-2 miles). I ride on the Great Lakes and it is fantastic where we are...big clean sandy beaches, fairly consistent wind, usually over 100 miles of fetch, even good waves sometimes.

As a beginner you should cut your teeth at an established kite beach that is known to be safe, where you have the support of other kiters, etc. You don't want to find out the hard way why some lakes are bad choices - even experienced riders get themselves into trouble doing that.

BE SMART...BE SAFE

slackercruster
Rare Poster

Postby slackercruster » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:00 am

Thanks for all the help!

Only problem for kites and ocean is I may only be able to get to the ocean once a year. Is it practical to kite for 6-10 days a year and windsurf at a big lake a few times a year when I'm home?

Or do these sports need more dedication to do?

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:56 am

well the wind on small lakes is usually inconsistant and gusty and bad

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:21 am

slackercruster wrote:Thanks for all the help!

Only problem for kites and ocean is I may only be able to get to the ocean once a year. Is it practical to kite for 6-10 days a year and windsurf at a big lake a few times a year when I'm home?

Or do these sports need more dedication to do?
Sure, after about 3 years on that schedule you'll be able to ride comfortably! Good luck!

Return to “Kitesurfing”