Forum for kitesurfers
slackercruster
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How much did you pay to learn?

Postby slackercruster » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:23 am

Talked with a kite place in the Outer Banks, Hatteras.

They charge $1200 for 3 day clinic. Is that about avaerage for learning?

How muich did you pay?

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Re: How much did you pay to learn?

Postby GTC » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:01 am

That's very expensive!! 5 years ago I payed like 240€ for a 2 day lessons (10 hours in total)

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:06 am

Back in 2001 0.00$ Best deal ever :thumb: Survived

flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider

Postby flyrob » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:12 am

I did the REAL Kiteboarding Zero to Hero camp about five years ago and am VERY happy that I did. It now costs about $1100 and worthwhile.

Yes, there are less expensive options to get you up and riding for less money. But what I liked about the Real camp was that they really laid down the formal foundations to being a safe and independent kiter. Wind theory, rules of the road, tons of safety practices. It is kind of a drag when all you want to do is get up and RIDE but it establishes a strong foundation for the future.

I'm a pilot and it is a lot like kiteboarding in that judgement plays a big role in staying safe.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:11 am

$50.

But i had already been kitelandboarding for 4 years. So all i needed was a quick lesson on self resue and water safety. The rest i picked up myself... trial and error. Some of the errors weren't that amusing. Tried to kill myself in the early days on landboarding getting lofted into an electric fence where a post collapsed and smacked me in the middle of the forehead. would have killed me if i hadn't been wearing a helmet!....

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:35 am

$300. CDN in 2006. Five hours of lesson time.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:02 am

GTC wrote:That's very expensive!! 5 years ago I payed like 240€ for a 2 day lessons (10 hours in total)
I asked this question a while back and it seems like europe is just a lot cheaper for lessons for some reason.

I paid $300 for my first 3 hour lesson, then $200 for a 2.5 hour water lesson, then a $45 cable park lesson for board riding skills, and I think one more $120 water lesson. That got me to the point where I was confident enough to ride without someone watching me, so I just started riding with friends from that point on and have learned a lot since.

If I had known the guys I know now, I probably could have gotten away with just one or two lessons, because kiters (around here at least) are a generally helpful group of people.

If that $1200 is for 3 solid days of instruction and riding, I think I would go for it. I think it's worth the initial investment to just get it all out of the way at once, my lessons were spread out over like 2 months because of work schedule and no wind, and that delayed things a lot I think.

flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider

Postby flyrob » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:47 am

dyyylan wrote:That's very expensive!! 5 years ago I payed like 240€ for a 2 day lessons (10 hours in total)

If that $1200 is for 3 solid days of instruction and riding, I think I would go for it. I think it's worth the initial investment to just get it all out of the way at once, my lessons were spread out over like 2 months because of work schedule and no wind, and that delayed things a lot I think.
A girlfriend spent all last summer messing around here and there trying to get it together. Had she had three or for days steady in Hatteras, she'd have been riding all summer.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:09 am

270 Euros, 2 years ago, Blue Bay kite school, Rhodes. 9 hours, got me up on the board. Then another 9-10 hours to go upwind, turn, small jumps etc using my own stuff, receiving teaching but not paying for it (some really nice guys owned the school - they are now operating Mykonos Kiteloop center).
The real money started after I learned..! :lol: :lol:

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:26 am

around 450/500€ for 4days in france , nowadays.

Return to “Kitesurfing”