Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo 2012

Forum for kitesurfers
GhostDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo 2012

Postby GhostDog » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:41 pm

windsurfer-resurrection wrote:This kite is a gust killer and extreme wind range monster.

Looks really sharp, can't wait to try my new Razor when it arrives, hopefully I'll have same day wind like you did :)

windsurfer-resurrection

Postby windsurfer-resurrection » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:28 am

2012 Razor 10m on the left, Rise 10m on the right.

eag
Medium Poster

Postby eag » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Yup, I should have said BEST FOR ME.

Many will prefer the Razor's speed or the Rise's range and gust control. For me the Cypher was like mama bear's porridge, just right.

and Rowboat is right that it gets harder and harder to review and differentiate between new kites since they're all soo much better than a few years ago.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:19 am

I wasn't sure about the graphics at first, but the Rise graphics are the best I've seen, simple and effective.

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:54 am

Oh yea... the 10 meter Razor has arrive... wish there was some wind :( It's sharp, can't wait to try the turning speed with the new FST tech.
Attachments
2012 Razor2.JPG

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:59 am

Few more pics of the FST tips
Attachments
2012 Razor3.JPG
2012 Razor4.JPG

eag
Medium Poster

Postby eag » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:22 am

Got another session on the 9m Cypher. I took my little strapped surfboard. I was lit on the 9m with wind in the mid 20's. There is a ton of grunt in this kite, and there should be, it looks very big for a 9m.

I tried hard to mess it up and get it to behave badly, but mostly it didn't. It still turns fast and responds well with almost a foot of depower pulled. With that much depower pulled and then if you push the bar all the way out it will flatten out and act weird, so maybe if you were at the absolute high end of the kite watch out.

I was too lit to do any kiteloop tricks, but big straight airs were great. The kite has really nice manners in the air and floats well.

I unhooked to ride some swell and it pulled smoothly and controllably, until I crashed and crashed the kite.

I think I might be able to get away with just 7m and 9m on my 2 different sized surfboards. This isn't because it's such an powerful kite, I just like small kites and live where there is usually strong wind. 10 has been my biggest kite for 2 years.

I still need to try the new Razor to see how different it is, but i'm guessing i'll still go cypher

windsurfer-resurrection

Postby windsurfer-resurrection » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:37 am

2012 10m Rise Crissy Field San Francisco

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:53 am

First Impressions of the new Razor!

As usual, my first ride on the new kite was in extremely marginal conditions. One of these days it's going to be nuking when my new kite arrives :)

That said, my first impressions of the 2012 Razor extremely favorable! It's the same kite but seems a bit improved in 3 areas. It's like the whole thing just got a bit better. Like 10% better.

1. Very smooth and consistent. Not sure I can say what exactly it was but it just seemed to kind of hold full power without any wingtips flaring or the kite changing shape as I turned and looped it. Rock solid stable!

2. Turns faster, the FST... I'm sold. That extra 4 inches or so really makes a difference. The Razor was already so responsive, it just got a bit better.

3. Depowers better. The FST allows a more forward attach point which also translates into more tilt and depower when you depower, It was much better. The byproduct of this is that it seemed to go upwind a bit better as well, you can get up some apparent wind and then depower and the angle of attack of the kite changes a bit more, I found I didn't have to fight it so much. I'm 190 lbs and I was actually staying upwind in 12 to 14 MPH conditions and an unfavorable current. I know I couldn't do that on last years model.

Overall, very pleased, they didn't change the kites personality at all, just kind of tuned it up a bit and fixed a few minor annoyances about it. I'm super stoked.

jtrashy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: CA
Favorite Beaches: CA
Style: free, waves
Gear: OR

Postby jtrashy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:02 am

i have 3 sessions now on the 10m razor, i agree with the above statements in regard to turning speed and acceleration. Another feature I would add is how it stays low in the window which is great hooked-in in the waves. This is the main reason I switched from Rises to the Razor. You can hit a wave in onshore conditions and accelerate towards the kite and the kite will just float down wind with you....no riding under the kite or losing line tension.

Return to “Kitesurfing”