Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo 2012

Forum for kitesurfers
GhostDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo 2012

Postby GhostDog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:49 pm

stefaans wrote:Cypher also comes in size 10!
I assume if you are more surf oriented 7,9,12
freestyle 7,10,12
2 kite quivers
surf 7,10
freestyle 9,12

Looks like OR though this one through pretty well. 5m for the little rippers

The web site was wrong, they had dropped the 10, I emailed them and the 10 is on the site now. Problem solved, 10 it is..

eag
Medium Poster

Postby eag » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:46 am

a bit more on the cypher. I finally got some winds suitable for kiteloops.

Loops are softer and more gentile than the Razor. Loops are better than the rise, which didn't loop well. If you like a big yank in your loop this won't be as strong, but much more relaxed

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:28 pm

eag wrote:a bit more on the cypher. I finally got some winds suitable for kiteloops.

Loops are softer and more gentile than the Razor. Loops are better than the rise, which didn't loop well. If you like a big yank in your loop this won't be as strong, but much more relaxed
So kind of between Razor and Rise in terms of how well it loops?

eag
Medium Poster

Postby eag » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:14 am

"well" is relative. It for sure loops better than the Rise, which can drop you at the end. I prefer it to the Razor as well, but that's because I'm getting older and don't like all that force.

slightlyimperfect
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Slave Lake
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise

Postby slightlyimperfect » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:58 am

anyone try the new 15LW yet? Hows it fly?

flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider

Postby flyrob » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:31 am

slightlyimperfect wrote:anyone try the new 15LW yet? Hows it fly?

I have the first (last years 2011) 15LW and love it! Really stable, sweet handling and a pleasure to ride.

I also have a 2010 16m XBow to compare it against.

The xBow has slightly better (say 10%?) power and upwind ability than the 15LW.

Otherwise the 15LW wins elsewhere. Lower bar pressure but you still know exactly where the kite is. Way better relaunch which is a HUGE issue in lightwind IMO. More stable in lulls and dirty air while on the beach. Faster turning.

Haven't ridden the 2012 LW yet though so can;'t say.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:38 pm

After putting a little more time on the Cypher here's my take on comparisons vs the Rise and Razor:

Cypher:

Higher bar pressure, and sits deepest in the window. Very stable, with a much more constant powerband. Not sensitive to bar/trim inputs like the other kites. It also flies much slower through the window and tends to " hang in place ". Hands down the best kite for unhooked riding, and " park the kite and forget about it " wave riding. This kite has a much " softer " feel than the Rise/Razor.

Razor:

Moderate bar pressure, very direct feedback, very fast through the window. Explosive power - a super fun kite to ride really lit up. Sits further forward in the window than the Cypher, but further back than the Rise.

Rise:

Light bar pressure, massive range and stability when overpowered. Flies forward in the window and smokes upwind. The best kite for one/two kite quivers.

All of these kites will work for all disciplines, but some are more suited to certain things than others, so choose your weapon based on your own riding style/preferences, and on what you are doing with the kite most of the time.

All 2012 kites are now in stock and shipping - contact your preferred retailer to get yours!

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:06 am

EvanOR wrote:After putting a little more time on the Cypher here's my take on comparisons vs the Rise and Razor:

Cypher:

Higher bar pressure, and sits deepest in the window. Very stable, with a much more constant powerband. Not sensitive to bar/trim inputs like the other kites. It also flies much slower through the window and tends to " hang in place ". Hands down the best kite for unhooked riding, and " park the kite and forget about it " wave riding. This kite has a much " softer " feel than the Rise/Razor.
Evan, in terms of sizing, about the same? The 10 Rise and 10 Razor are kind of in my sweet spot, Cypher about the same?

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:42 am

GhostDog wrote:
EvanOR wrote:After putting a little more time on the Cypher here's my take on comparisons vs the Rise and Razor:

Cypher:

Evan, in terms of sizing, about the same? The 10 Rise and 10 Razor are kind of in my sweet spot, Cypher about the same?
Yes.

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:48 am

My take on Cypher. It arrived today and fortunately the wind was blowing. Had a nice 1 hour session in perfect conditions.

My thoughts are mostly in the context of how the kite compares to Ocean Rodeo's other two kites from 2011, of which I have ridden both extensively.

I really enjoyed the kite, I think it's going to be a favorite, I'll probably split time between it and the Razor depending on how aggressive I want to be.

The Cypher to me seems a blend of some of the nicer aspects of the Rise and Razor. It kind of blends the hang time and jumping of the Rise with the grunt and looping of the Razor.

Cypher jumps great and has more hang time, similar to the Rise. Also the speed at which it moves is more similar to the Rise, so the tricks that I do on the Rise work better on the Cypher than on the Razor. So in that respect, it's similar to the Rise. I think it's the hang time and the timing that remind me of the Rise.

Cypher is similar to the Razor in that the kite flies deeper in the window, you land pointed downwind a bit more, and it loops better than the Rise. Also Cypher closer to Razor in upwind-ability, which is to say not as good as the Rise. It's not bad or anything, it's just that the Rise is so incredible at going upwind.

The comments about the Cypher flying better on back lines is true. It flew better for me with no trim, that is all 4 lines even more or less. I find that the Rise especially, and to some extent the Razor, favor the front lines and fly better with some trim. The Cypher had no backstall issues at all with mucho back line.

I'm not sure why O.R marketed this as 'Park' I think it's a really great all around kite.

If you were choosing between this and the Razor, I think it would come down to how aggressive and powered you like to ride, if you love big jumps and fast loops, coming in fast and hard and being ultra aggressive as a free-rider.. Razor, if you enjoy a slightly less aggressive riding style that blends wave, hooked and unhooked disciplines you will love the Cypher. Note that I don't mean less per-formant when I say less aggressive, the kite really jumps well.

If you were choosing between this and the Rise it would come down to how important upwind ability is and if you ride a lot unhooked. Cypher clearly better unhooked, Rise clearly better upwind. Rise would be a better 1 kite quiver because of versatility and range.

Return to “Kitesurfing”