Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Griffin Argo or EH Ovando for light wind?

Forum for kitesurfers
gglamenace
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Griffin Argo or EH Ovando for light wind?

Postby gglamenace » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Hello,

I am looking to get a kite in addition to my EH Rippehr 7m for the light wind.

I have thought at the Griffin Argo 11m and the EH Ovando 9m, 10m or 11m.
I am 72kg (160 lbs) and I would like to have fun from 12 kts to 23/25 kts.

Can you help me to choose?

Thanks
Jérôme

powerkitefan
Medium Poster

Re: Griffin Argo or EH Ovando for light wind?

Postby powerkitefan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:56 am

Can't speak on the Ovando. But the Argo is a great lightwind kite.
I weigh 170 and have had the Argo out in 10 knots with a surfboard.
And 11 should be a good size for your weight.

http://www.powerkitesdirect.com/griffin ... surf-kite/

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:03 am

Any chance that you can test ride them both?

I'm 175 and mostly ride a 6'1" directional. I have an Ovando 9m. I find that it has about the same low-end as my Rippehr 10m (v2), but the high end of the Rippehr is better. The Ovando 11m might be a better "light wind" kite than the Ovando 9 because it might take you down to 12 mph instead of 14 mph. However, I have a friend who had both the Ovando 9m and the 11m, and he said that he was going to sell the 11m because the 9m had almost the same low end.

My Ovando 9m is my second favorite kite, just behind my favorite kite, the Rippehr 10m. The Ovando flies very different from the Rippehr. The only thing they have in common (besides being EH kites) is that they are both fast kites that like to fly, not park.

I haven't ridden the Griffin Argo but I've seen them a lot. From the shape and comments from riders, the Argo sounds like it flies more like the EH Beast than either a Rippehr or an Ovando. The flying characteristics of the Argo and the Ovando would be extremely different. So much different, that you really ought to fly both to see which you like better. If you do fly both, please post your impressions here. I'd be very interested.

A user on this forum, Kupono, might have flown both. I know he's flown the Argo a lot. He might have flown an Ovando, too. Hopefully he can chime in.

giowind
Rare Poster

Postby giowind » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:44 am

I think Windrider had it right... the ovando and rippehr are so different but both really fun in their respective target conditions... rippehr=high winds ovando=low/medium winds with little gusts. At your weight I would not get anything bigger than the 9 Ovando. Do not get the 11 at your weight! I had both the 9 and 11 and sold the 11 since I rarely rode it. I think the 9 would make a great low wind kite for you, especially if you ride TT's. I weigh 185 lbs and the 9 works really well for me. It is a really fun kite to fly and great power for its size. You could get the beast which has good low end and very stable but not as much fun to fly. The beast is so mellow to fly, it jsut sits there... ovando is a little more finicky and wants attention. Ovando also hates slack lines. So if you jsut want good low end with no hassles then beast may be the call, otherwise ovando is relaly good and will keep you engaged... 9 ovando is my favorite kite and I own two kites from a major brand that are not as fun to fly but super stable and I mainly use them when I ride my surfboard. At your weight you may even want the 8 but you will definitley give up some low end, but still way more than you rippehr 7... tough call... good luck with your selection...

gglamenace
Medium Poster

Postby gglamenace » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:55 am

Thank you for these first replies.
I have already rode with the argo 11m and it was nice in 15 kts. But never ride in 12 kts so I don't know the bottom end.

@Windrider and giowind : perhaps the Ovando 10m would be a good choice.
If the Ovando 10m allows me to ride in 12/13 kts it could be OK.
I am afraid of the gap between the Ovando 11m and my rippehr V6 7m at about 20/22 kts.
The Ovando 9m could let me ride comfortably at 12/13 kts or more 14/15 kts?

An Other question: are there some fine tunings to do on the Rippehr in order to fly even better?
I am a new EH owner so I take some infos ;)

giowind
Rare Poster

Postby giowind » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 am

10 may work... definitely not the 11at your size... you will feel overpowered pretty quickly. please trust me on that. sounds like you really want low wind... 12kts may be tough with the 9... it definitely woudl not move me at 185lbs. I have never ridden the 10 and there is a guy at our beach with one who is lighter than me by at least 15 or so lbs and he loves the 10. The 10 may give you an extra knot or so on thelow wend and not sure on the high end. Go to EH website and look at the windchart for the ovando. It is based purely on rider size. Try and demo a 9 or 10 if can.

as for the rippehr.. only tweaking is to make sure all lines are even when bar is touching the top of CL and the trim is set for full power. I have never needed to tweak the settings. I guess you could use differnt knots but with EH kites you only have two knots on front and read bridle lines. What I like about the EH kites is the spartan setup. btw.. ovando bar is differnt than rippehr in that you only have about 10inches of throw and the trim strap is not meant for depower but to adjsut the lines. If you over depower the ovando thinking you will get more range what you will really get is a less stable kirte. Eric tuned the kites for about 10inch throw and that is it. That is why you need to be in tune with the kite. Small bar movements make a difference. Since your 7 rippehr probably has 45cm bar you would want a 50cm ovando bar for the 9 or 10 I think. Dfinitely with the 9. EH website shoudl have more tech specs.

gglamenace
Medium Poster

Postby gglamenace » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks a lot for your reply.
The Ovando 10 might be the right choice to ride easily in 12/13 kts ;)
Do you have an idea of the comfortable top end for my weight of 72 kg (160 lbs)?

I would like to give a try at the de Argo 11m in light wind too before making my choice.

Unfortunately I will not be able to test the Ovando because I have never seen an Ovando in south of France.
So if I choose the Ovando it will be based on your comments.

kitepilot
Medium Poster

Postby kitepilot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:50 pm

I have ridden Ovando 9 and 11 for the past two years. I love these kites in stable wind. Great low end, fast, good boosting kites, bomber twin skin leading edge. But I would not call them low wind kites. As previous post stated, they don't like any slack in the lines. These kites need attention. They have a very small angle of attack and will stall very easy in light /gusty wind. Once you get slack in the lines they nosedive. Another thing is in light wind they aren't the easiest kites to relaunch, even in stronger winds relaunching them is an art.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling my ovando any time soon. For moderate wind I haven't found a better kite. But for light wind you want something that wants to stay in the air.
Try before you buy, especially in the type of wind you are buying them for.
Good luck, KP

gglamenace
Medium Poster

Postby gglamenace » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:48 pm

I am going to ask to some local shop if they sell this brand and if I can test.
Thanks for the feedback.

Grannen
Rare Poster

Postby Grannen » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:22 pm

gglamenace wrote:Hello,

I am looking to get a kite in addition to my EH Rippehr 7m for the light wind.

I have thought at the Griffin Argo 11m and the EH Ovando 9m, 10m or 11m.
I am 72kg (160 lbs) and I would like to have fun from 12 kts to 23/25 kts.

Can you help me to choose?

Thanks
Jérôme
I've been riding both a EH Ripper 10m and a Ovando 7m. Two completely different kites with oner thing in common, they don't like gusts. But this is not really a problem as long as you keep them in motion. I can't tell you anything about the Griffin, but the Ovando is fast nice person that is a great light wind kite even though its small size.

Check out this review for some more info about the Ovando http://www.ehripper.com/eh-ovando-7m-review/.

Return to “Kitesurfing”