Forum for kitesurfers
Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush 2012

Postby Schmidy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 pm

A teaser of the 2012 Airush Team Series coming soon.

s29feb
Frequent Poster

Postby s29feb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:18 am

Lifted from my post on the UK kiteboarder forum abou the 2012 Razor :cool2:

I have been lucky enough to try the 2012 7m Razor. Where to start… well when you pump it up you notice just how good the build is and there is some fantastic attention to detail including a dump valve at the wingtip to help with packing – make sure you close this before you spend two minutes pumping like a maniac! Once pumped it you notice just how solid it is and the frame maintains good rigidity when you flip it. The 7m looks small – smaller than the hybrid I use, but again it does not ‘splay’ when you have it LE down and it sits there defiantly.

I connected it up with the back lines on the outer (standard) setting and put the front on the freestyle as there is another wakestyle attachment pigtail. Attaching the lines is great as Airush ‘kook proof’, colour match and actually label the lines on the bar so only a totally imbecile could mess this up and well hey that is Darwin’s law of natural selection at work.

For someone who is fussy about bars the 2012 Airush offering is a particularly nice piece of kit and it has a great safety system and release that can be setup suicide and still fire off onto the fifth. It has a PU covered dual centreline and the dugout is polished alloy so it looks like it is going to last and the safety line seems to sit nicely between these and is offered a bit of protection against wear also. My preference for depower has been an above bar cleat but I could actually live with the pull/pull toggle system Airush have as it is incredibly tidy and the way they attach it means it is easily within reach.

I was out for about 3 hours on Sunday and it was one of those up and down days with a cross-on wind going from mid to occasional high 30’s and dropping to the mid to high 20 for periods. When I first flung the 7m up I was not sure that it would have enough power (looking so small) but I was surprised to find some there so I grabbed my board and hit the water.

First thing I noticed is that is fast, but not angry wasp fast and everything is so controllable. This is because there is just an incredible amount of feedback from the kite and it is just so precise – Razor is an apt name as the handling is sharp. It is also incredibly solid in the air and there is no luffing or flutter to it and I was really surprised at how stable and how easily it dealt with gusts. There is depower there but nowhere near that of a hybrid and the power delivery is very linear with sheeting and does not shut on/off. Also when I say feedback this is not via heavy bar pressure and there was actually less than the hybrid.

I found it astoundingly easy to use, more so than some other modern C kites I have tried. That said it is a kite that will reward someone with good flying and board skills and it is definitely more suited to well established intermediates and probably more advanced riders. For example with boosting I found it took just a little bit more technique than the hybrid but when you get it right it does jump extremely well and with the feedback you have excellent control when in the air and redirecting. Unhooked it was very well behaved and there is no surge and power builds gradually meaning you can really load against it for pop - I was borrowing another board for the day whilst waiting for my new one to arrive and I know I’ll get more out of the Razor when I’m on something I’m more used to.

Overall the standout things about the Razor is just how ‘solid’ it is in the sky and how much feedback you get from it. I have tried some modern C-kites before and never really understood why I would give up the range and usability of a good hybrid…. until now that is! There is absolutely no hint of vagueness at all to the Razor and for me this was something very special and it’s not like the kites I rode before were vague – it is just that this is something else entirely and it is the first time I have felt totally connected toa kite. Yes I might occasionally miss that bit of extra range or ease of use or the ability to boost stupidly big very easily on a good hybrid (I know my mate still preferred his), but if you are an advanced rider who wants absolute precision and feedback then the Razor is simply stunning in this department.

Looks like I’m going to be wandering around that department for a while – I’ll let you know what the 9m and 11m are like at some point in the future!

fuel
Medium Poster

Postby fuel » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:37 pm

s29feb wrote:Lifted from my post on the UK kiteboarder forum abou the 2012 Razor :cool2:

I have been lucky enough to try the 2012 7m Razor. Where to start… well when you pump it up you notice just how good the build is and there is some fantastic attention to detail including a dump valve at the wingtip to help with packing – make sure you close this before you spend two minutes pumping like a maniac! Once pumped it you notice just how solid it is and the frame maintains good rigidity when you flip it. The 7m looks small – smaller than the hybrid I use, but again it does not ‘splay’ when you have it LE down and it sits there defiantly.

I connected it up with the back lines on the outer (standard) setting and put the front on the freestyle as there is another wakestyle attachment pigtail. Attaching the lines is great as Airush ‘kook proof’, colour match and actually label the lines on the bar so only a totally imbecile could mess this up and well hey that is Darwin’s law of natural selection at work.

For someone who is fussy about bars the 2012 Airush offering is a particularly nice piece of kit and it has a great safety system and release that can be setup suicide and still fire off onto the fifth. It has a PU covered dual centreline and the dugout is polished alloy so it looks like it is going to last and the safety line seems to sit nicely between these and is offered a bit of protection against wear also. My preference for depower has been an above bar cleat but I could actually live with the pull/pull toggle system Airush have as it is incredibly tidy and the way they attach it means it is easily within reach.

I was out for about 3 hours on Sunday and it was one of those up and down days with a cross-on wind going from mid to occasional high 30’s and dropping to the mid to high 20 for periods. When I first flung the 7m up I was not sure that it would have enough power (looking so small) but I was surprised to find some there so I grabbed my board and hit the water.

First thing I noticed is that is fast, but not angry wasp fast and everything is so controllable. This is because there is just an incredible amount of feedback from the kite and it is just so precise – Razor is an apt name as the handling is sharp. It is also incredibly solid in the air and there is no luffing or flutter to it and I was really surprised at how stable and how easily it dealt with gusts. There is depower there but nowhere near that of a hybrid and the power delivery is very linear with sheeting and does not shut on/off. Also when I say feedback this is not via heavy bar pressure and there was actually less than the hybrid.

I found it astoundingly easy to use, more so than some other modern C kites I have tried. That said it is a kite that will reward someone with good flying and board skills and it is definitely more suited to well established intermediates and probably more advanced riders. For example with boosting I found it took just a little bit more technique than the hybrid but when you get it right it does jump extremely well and with the feedback you have excellent control when in the air and redirecting. Unhooked it was very well behaved and there is no surge and power builds gradually meaning you can really load against it for pop - I was borrowing another board for the day whilst waiting for my new one to arrive and I know I’ll get more out of the Razor when I’m on something I’m more used to.

Overall the standout things about the Razor is just how ‘solid’ it is in the sky and how much feedback you get from it. I have tried some modern C-kites before and never really understood why I would give up the range and usability of a good hybrid…. until now that is! There is absolutely no hint of vagueness at all to the Razor and for me this was something very special and it’s not like the kites I rode before were vague – it is just that this is something else entirely and it is the first time I have felt totally connected toa kite. Yes I might occasionally miss that bit of extra range or ease of use or the ability to boost stupidly big very easily on a good hybrid (I know my mate still preferred his), but if you are an advanced rider who wants absolute precision and feedback then the Razor is simply stunning in this department.

Looks like I’m going to be wandering around that department for a while – I’ll let you know what the 9m and 11m are like at some point in the future!

Thanks. Heard via some riders on the beach that the Razor is eye-popping and these were sponsored by another brand. :o

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby WildDuke » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm quite interested in the Team Protoy. Wish I could get some more info on it with regards to rocker and some more detailed pics. I really think Airush need to make their website showcase their products a little more. Last year, all you got was a computer rendered image of what you are thinking of buying. I think this year will be no different. Come on guys, its the 21st century, how about a short video on each product going through the features as well as plenty of up close footage of the product. Its not that hard! :roll:

Ruud~
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Holland, Scheveningen
Style: Wave
Gear: Airush, Aero
Brand Affiliation: Surfsports.nl

Postby Ruud~ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:42 am

Loved my Razor set 7,9,11 from 2011 and waiting on the 2012. I already sailed the 9m 2012 for a view days. I use them mostly in the waves. Love the direct feeling, the speed and the constant power in turns. The depower was already good in 2011. The 2012 model has even more depower and feels faster in the turns. Always shorten the lines from 25 to 22m. Perfect mix for waves and freestyle. It's easy to set the lines in 25, 22 or 19 meter.
Hopefully I get the 2012 set this week... Cant wait :) Never sold my used C-kites that easily like this year. Could sell it 3 times :thumb:

I sail beside the C's some sle's in the waves and have a lot off fun with it, but when I turn back to the C kite, it's feels like riding a sport car.
Attachments
razor2012_02.jpg
9m Razor, Scheveningen, Holland
razor2012_02.jpg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
razor2012.jpg
9m Razor, Scheveningen, Holland
razor2012.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 2816 times

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:45 pm

What's with the foil range? I couldn't find it on their page.
I bought Crest 10m2 this year. Trim the bridle a little, to get better turning speed, and I love it!

papo
Rare Poster

Postby papo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 am

Ruud~ wrote:Loved my Razor set 7,9,11 from 2011 and waiting on the 2012....

whats you'r weight ?

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:08 pm

-
FROM SURF EXPO, Orlando, FL 9/10/2011 -

Airush Brand Manager, Clinton Filen points out the
main features of the 2012 Airush 'Smart Bar III' control bar.

Marc
Cabrinha - XBOW '09 16m / Eclipse - NANO '09 11m & Thruster '08 14m
VIDEO: FLYBOARDS 2011 FLYRACE Kiteboard - IKA Approved
(a lightwind door-style board with an adjustable/removable dagger board)

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:17 am

Really like the coloring of that bar now! You won't get your left and right hand mixed up again!

Not sure how that PU coating on the lines are going to go. It looks a little cumbersome. I thought that the reason for the two main lines was as a backup should one snap. If they are PU coated shouldn't that eliminate that problem? Maybe they should have gone for just one line like the RRD bar? Also the speaker on the video reckons that the PU coated lines should last up to a year! Man my 2011 lines have been used all season and they are still immaculate! I'd definitely expect to get more than a year of life out of the PU coated ones!

Well I've ordered 2012 kites with the new bar so I'll see how it goes!

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:52 pm

WildDuke wrote:Really like the coloring of that bar now! You won't get your left and right hand mixed up again!

Not sure how that PU coating on the lines are going to go. It looks a little cumbersome. I thought that the reason for the two main lines was as a backup should one snap. If they are PU coated shouldn't that eliminate that problem? Maybe they should have gone for just one line like the RRD bar? Also the speaker on the video reckons that the PU coated lines should last up to a year! Man my 2011 lines have been used all season and they are still immaculate! I'd definitely expect to get more than a year of life out of the PU coated ones!

Well I've ordered 2012 kites with the new bar so I'll see how it goes!
Hey Wild Duke,

The two main lines have been used so that the stopper ball could function nice and ease. We have found that a two thinner PU lines vs 1 larger PU lines avoids "lock up" when turning the bar and sheeting in or out. Lots of the wave riders we talked to were frustrated about this. Safely saying that the PU Coated lines last up to a year is valid since Airush has been testing this system for over a year and still no sign of wearing. It's awesome that your 2011 lines are immaculate, but the change to a PU coating was requested by many of our customers/retailers/distributors who live and use their equipment in extremely harsh conditions (high levels of salt in water, extreme heat, schools that teach 500+ lessons a season) So far in these test conditions the double PU testing has proven itself. We demoed the Airush range in Germany this August, great feedback from 2011 bar users jumping on the 2012...I think you will dig it. :thumb:

Cheers,
Schmidy

Return to “Kitesurfing”