Forum for kitesurfers
Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush 2012

Postby Schmidy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:36 am

a competition freestyle board starting at 1.7kg!

JMF
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JMF » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:12 am

Why? Making a board lighter does not make it any stronger. There are of course limit to how heavy you want a board depending on it application. And there are course limits to high light you can make a board without making it structurally weaker. Unless you guys have got some early samples of graphene which a doubt :wink:

Vaccum boards now, not pressed. Using Prepeg Carbon and dropping a durasurf layer or two hmmm. Looks good though.
Last edited by JMF on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:28 pm

[quote="Schmidy"]a competition freestyle board starting at 1.7kg!

[/quote]

What size board is that?

Schmidy
Medium Poster

Postby Schmidy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:49 pm

WildDuke wrote:
Schmidy wrote:a competition freestyle board starting at 1.7kg!
What size board is that?
131 :thumb:
JMF wrote:Why? Making a board lighter does not make it any stronger. There are of course limit to how heavy you want a board depending on it application. And there are course limits to high light you can make a board without making it structurally leaker. Unless you guys have got some early samples of graphene which a doubt :wink:

Vaccum boards now, not pressed. Using Prepeg Carbon and dropping a durasurf layer or two hmmm. Looks good though.
Hey JMF,
Of course you touched on some good points in terms of reducing weights on boards. Alex Pastor has been hammering this range for some time now during the competition season and his training on the off season. He has shown that the board definitely meets the expectations of strength while reducing the weight significantly. Finding the balance is key.

Cheers,
Schmidy

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Schmidy wrote:
Hey JMF,
Of course you touched on some good points in terms of reducing weights on boards. Alex Pastor has been hammering this range for some time now during the competition season and his training on the off season. He has shown that the board definitely meets the expectations of strength while reducing the weight significantly. Finding the balance is key.

Cheers,
Schmidy
Thanks Schmidy. I'm a tinkerer stuff like this really interests me. My first kiteboard which in them days was bascially a surf blank shaped into a TT was just over 3kg lol things have changed over ten years I guess :wink:

Tell me is this deck weight only, looks naked?

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:41 pm

JMF wrote:Why? Making a board lighter does not make it any stronger. There are of course limit to how heavy you want a board depending on it application. And there are course limits to high light you can make a board without making it structurally weaker. Unless you guys have got some early samples of graphene which a doubt :wink:

I only riede selfmade boards, all of them are in that wieght range and I never managed to brake one. All you have to do is to balance core thickness, laminate peel strength and tensile/compressive fiber strength. For that reason, if you want to built light, you have to avoid foam cores (low peel strength) and work with 80/20% longitudinal/transverse fiber layup.
My lightest board did weigh 1892gr (pads, straps and fins included), 138 x 39 asymetrical twin tip, core = 13mm thick laminated longitudinal grain balsa, 280gr/sqm carbon flat & deck. Vacuum baged, 38% resin content in matrix. Also turned out to be the stiffest board I made.

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:24 pm

aeberl wrote:
JMF wrote:Why? Making a board lighter does not make it any stronger. There are of course limit to how heavy you want a board depending on it application. And there are course limits to high light you can make a board without making it structurally weaker. Unless you guys have got some early samples of graphene which a doubt :wink:

I only riede selfmade boards, all of them are in that wieght range and I never managed to brake one. All you have to do is to balance core thickness, laminate peel strength and tensile/compressive fiber strength. For that reason, if you want to built light, you have to avoid foam cores (low peel strength) and work with 80/20% longitudinal/transverse fiber layup.
My lightest board did weigh 1892gr (pads, straps and fins included), 138 x 39 asymetrical twin tip, core = 13mm thick laminated longitudinal grain balsa, 280gr/sqm carbon flat & deck. Vacuum baged, 38% resin content in matrix. Also turned out to be the stiffest board I made.
Agreed. For my speed board I used AIREX but was actually surprised at the weight knowing that it does tend to retain more resin even when vacuum bagged. Think I got it to about 2.4kg all in with Airush base plate pads and epoxy rail and fins. Not bad for 160cm board. Onto a twintip next will use balsa. The AIREX made the board feel really dead. Does not really matter on speed board but for my TT would like a little more life in a board.

Always loved Airush boards curious to see this one.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:24 am

[quote="Schmidy"]"WildDuke" wrote: "Schmidy" wrote: a competition freestyle board starting at 1.7kg!

What size board is that?

Cheers,
Schmidy[/quote]

Wow that must be a 2012 board! According to the web site the 2011 FS team boards came in 130/135/140cm sizes. Also the 2011 boards start at 1.8kg for the 130. What is the width of your 131 board? And do you have sizes of the other boards?

Schmidy
Medium Poster

Postby Schmidy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:44 am

Agreed. For my speed board I used AIREX but was actually surprised at the weight knowing that it does tend to retain more resin even when vacuum bagged. Think I got it to about 2.4kg all in with Airush base plate pads and epoxy rail and fins. Not bad for 160cm board. Onto a twintip next will use balsa. The AIREX made the board feel really dead. Does not really matter on speed board but for my TT would like a little more life in a board.

Always loved Airush boards curious to see this one.[/quote]

This board is naked with the highest stiffness/pop ratio in the range.
It's nuking in CT we are heading to Langabaan to test with Oswald Smith, you should be grabbing a session! :-)
Wow that must be a 2012 board! According to the web site the 2011 FS team boards came in 130/135/140cm sizes. Also the 2011 boards start at 1.8kg for the 130. What is the width of your 131 board? And do you have sizes of the other boards?
No comment :-) 2012 team series release mid august, the rest of 2012 will be released mid september. lots of goodies.

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Schmidy wrote: This board is naked with the highest stiffness/pop ratio in the range.
It's nuking in CT we are heading to Langabaan to test with Oswald Smith, you should be grabbing a session! :-)
I wish, I'm much further inland. Will only be in LBN November. I'm mates with Wesley think you might know him. I'm sure he'll take advantage of the wind you guys are getting. Strange for this time of the year in Cape town. Up here we deal with water below 10 degree mark believe it not lol (check picture below) Enjoy it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”