Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Thinking of adding to my surfboard quiver

Forum for kitesurfers
ptben
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anywhere in North Wales
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr (UK), Gwithian (UK), Ponta Preta & Ponta Leme (Sal, Cape Verde)
Gear: Slingshot | Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot | Ride Engine

Thinking of adding to my surfboard quiver

Postby ptben » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Thinking of adding a larger surfboard to my quiver and looking at something 6'2" to 6'4" in size as I'm 6'2" and around 95kgs. I have a 5'10" LF Quad which works great in big winds but not so great in anything around 10m weather or less. Reading around says that bigger surfboards only work where you have a decent wave to surf rather wind driven swell but I'm wondering what people think.

So far I've only found the F-One Surf SL in the right sizes.

tripman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: North Sea, Channel, Brittany
Style: Surfkiting + HF + wing
Gear: Noremana 5'2 95L
Gong Hipe pro 5'1
BRM W2 4m, 5.5m
Foil Allure 1300 + 1000
KETOS 1200 + stab Karver S
Pocket KETOS 107
Board Riding Maui Cloud E 2.8, E 3.7, E 4.8, E 6.2, D 8, D 10.4
Stallion V1 TDZ 5'2''
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Thinking of adding to my surfboard quiver

Postby tripman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:23 pm

You can also look at the Jimmy Lewis "chamber kt". It exists in a lot of sizes incl. 6'3 and 6'5. I ride the 6'1 (under Wainman name as it was sold in 2010) and just love it. The volume is well centered. The board is fast, confortable to ride strapless or not. It turns great. I've tried some others in the last 2 years but did not find anything as great. And I do pay my gear :-//
Btw, I'm 84kg but used to be 90kg not too long ago (using the same gear). That's why I think the 6'3 would probably be enough for you.

Enjoy your ride

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:13 pm

ptben wrote:Thinking of adding a larger surfboard to my quiver and looking at something 6'2" to 6'4" in size as I'm 6'2" and around 95kgs. I have a 5'10" LF Quad which works great in big winds but not so great in anything around 10m weather or less. Reading around says that bigger surfboards only work where you have a decent wave to surf rather wind driven swell but I'm wondering what people think.

So far I've only found the F-One Surf SL in the right sizes.
There is more to it than length. The width and thickness in addition to rocker and tail shape..rail line...etc.

So for lightwind board fish shapes are pretty common, but the problem for a traditional fish (super wide tail) is that they do not hold a very wide range of power and wind, which is especially problematic on big kites IMO. Fish board have very flat rocker which is good, but once the hips are too low the boards tend to flatten out if there is power and / or speed.

So: I've been using the 6'0'' naish fish that has a slimmer tail, and channels that helps dig in once the power is a little higher. It also has a quad which bites a little better than the traditional fish twins.. This seems to work very well. Other tail shapes works well too..like wide pin tails, gives the rides a little more smooth bottom turns.

..point is also look at other parameters than length....

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:48 pm

Exactly - forget about the "lenght" - as it is IMO the least descriptive parameter about a board, it says NOTHING about how "big" it will feel :-?

Bigger surfboards will also work in "non-decent" waves though, so dont worry :thumb:

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”