j1finnn1
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: RRD 2012

Postby j1finnn1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 am

turfAndsurf wrote:Thanks TomW,

I will have to try the Obsession 14 since here in San Diego the wind can between 12-16 side on and up to waist high on a good day.
We make a 15 that may do what you're looking for. It surprised me with it's speed.

djlepper
Rare Poster

Postby djlepper » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:38 pm

j1finnn1 wrote:
turfAndsurf wrote:Thanks TomW,

I will have to try the Obsession 14 since here in San Diego the wind can between 12-16 side on and up to waist high on a good day.
We make a 15 that may do what you're looking for. It surprised me with it's speed.

Rode 2011 15M Obsession on a light day and just as j1finn1 wrote I was surprised how fast it was. It did not feel any slower then my 2011 13.5. I kind of found trying all different sizes of Obessions (9, 10.5, 12, 13.5, 15) that they all feel very consistent as far as turning speed. That is not to say that a 15 turns like a 9 (..or other way around:))..., but if you rode any size you know exactly what to expect from bigger or smaller sizes. In my opinion they are all extremely well designed kites :thumb:

Billy_Goat
Medium Poster

Postby Billy_Goat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm a long time RRD rider and have 2009 obsessions (9/10.5/12m), just got the 9m obsession 2011 and gotta say I am a bit dissapointed:

- They shrunk the F**kin bag, the zip does not fully open the bag!! as someone else pointed out its now a struggle to get the kites back in... why...why.. the cost saving was almost nothing. The bar pocket is now micro and again a struggle

- This is the FREESTYLE kite and you decieded to put another set of pullies on it!! ( now 4 in total)Grrrr!! its loose turning and pulley bridals snap...(I had a swim in last weekend on my 2009 obsession).. A freestyle kite needs minimal pullies.

- Its slightly unstable in high winds compared to the 2009 and slower to climb on big kite loops, It will not always catch you in time.

-Same crap quality rear line attachments coming off the end of the kite (have a look at flexi or slingshot and you will understand)

- The bar is now £320... :cry:

On the plus side it boosts better than 2009 and has much more float.

... just honest feedback.

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:34 pm

hey guys, has anyone tested the Obsessions 2012 yet? I'm just curious whether they've changed from the 2011 models or not, and if so how :o

cheers :thumb:

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:44 am

I'm basically waiting until I can get some time on the bigger kites, but I flew a 7m briefly in VERY gusty conditions. I think it's boostier than the 2011, and possibly more powerful. I would have been happy on a 6 meter that day to be honest. Pretty hard to rate unhooked stuff, was feeling pretty subdued by the conditions, not really pushing it. I'll have more stuff when our first ship hits the states in a couple of weeks.
-Jeff

Return to “Kitesurfing”