Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Conflict with beach user.....you can't please everyone.

forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Conflict with beach user.....you can't please everyone.

Postby dyyylan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:30 am

And with bolded and underlined words, at that. What a Dick.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby frankm1960 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:50 am

I think this is a similar scenario...

A couple times I've set up on the beach and almost ready to launch when some beach goers parked just down wind of my kite... :(

My options....??

I could wait or pack it up...
I could ask them to move...
I could move to the crappy part of the beach and risk launching off a pile of rocks and driftwood...
I could ignore them and launch...

what to doooo ??? :)

I won't say which option(s) I picked but I will say I've never asked anyone to move so far :)

I think this is an interesting thread and brings up some important issues regarding kiting in public.
It's not at all simple as some have suggested... at least not to me :)

Too bad we couldn't get a consensus from all kiter's on what the protocol should be to handle this situation ( the situation in the original post that is ).

g-force junkie
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1975
Local Beach: no beaches just big mountains covered in snow
Style: kiteskiing
Gear: Naish x3 17
Naish areo 2 14
Naish ar5 9.5
Naish arx 9.5
Rrd lupe 7 12
Cabrihna blacktip 7
Cabrihna co2
Mosquito pro ks 5.5
Head mojo 90 twin tips
Head racing skis

Postby g-force junkie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:09 am

seems like anywhere you go anything you do these days there's always a dh involved, really hard to choke down sometimes, but I think that the original poster handled the situation right,your only option these days is to kill them with kindness even at your own expense

LiquidTempus
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Mitchell's Bay, Ontario, Canada
Gear: 16m Liquid Force Havoc 2 (2008)
12m North Rebel (2010)
9.5m Best Kahoona (2010/11)

Postby LiquidTempus » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:37 am

Telling someone that you are about to do something that puts yourself at risk and warning them that they may be caught in the crossfire if something goes wrong is not threatening them.

Threatening is saying that if they don't do something, then you WILL do something.

Not warning other beach users of the dangers of kite launching and landing will mean endangering them if they happen to wander into a designated kite launch area.

To look at this situation in another light. There was one kiter still out on the water when the boat pulled into the sheltered area. If that kiter had to land his kite in a hury (squall or something) then the boat is a hazard to the kiter. When the other kiters told the boat operator that he was in their safety zone he should have moved his craft. Not moving it after being informed could be considered an act of reckless endangerment.

crash&burn
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby crash&burn » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:48 am

Dick,

you are a total toolbag. get bent. I will look you up when I am in Malibu.

is that a threat?

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:05 am

RichardM wrote:
Ned Divine wrote:We use ............
1. Perhaps you should read a little more carefully. What you describe doing is NOT the situation under discussion.
Do you think it would be “99% appreciated” if you went up to someone and told them that if they didn’t move out of your way, you would deliberately endanger them because they were where you wanted to kite? This is the situation being discussed.
Perhaps you should read a lot more carefully. Poacher never threatened deliberately endangering anyone. You think the boater might have felt so but this is a different thing. So, this is not the situation being discussed.
RichardM wrote:
2. “...I am sure that the port police would be called to the spot in no time.” But they would have no reason to ban KITING !
If I threaten to rape people then people would call the port police for anyone doing the walk of shame or kiting downwind from the club - happens many times daily - and kiting could be banned for not complying to the rules. Pissed off by a threat, they call the port police for any other suitable reason, to get revenge. More clear now?
RichardM wrote:
On the other hand, if they get called because non-kiters allege being ENDANGERED by KITING activity, they WOULD have a basis to ban kiting.
Non-kiters politely informed about the risk of being around - provided they can avoid it - are less likely to ask for a ban than non-kiters beheaded by the lines of a kiter who chose not to inform them about the risks.

Ha, ha, I will do my best to have the final word! :lol: :lol: It is a matter of honour!
@C&B : Yes!

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:53 am

Poacher...you know you messed up big time. The only way to solve this would have been to ask the guy if you can buy him a PBR if they move. Done deal.

RM? Just stop feeding him guys. Pages and pages of wasted info.

Poach...PM me your lake please. We're in Madison, but I travel the state and would love to meet up if in the area. OH...also let me know if there's any good winds on mother superior. I need a strapless session bad and will travel to get it especially anytime soon if it's a weekend day.

In all seriousness, you did nothing wrong and nothing even CLOSE to a threat. You presented them with accurate info and how they respond wasn't your fault, etc. RM is hyper sensitive and big time reaching if he thinks you were threatening them. It wasn't even really a warning in my opinion.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:31 am

Hi Richard,

I think your "after you've learned to read" and "WTF is the matter with you" statements might make people think you are a bit on the condescending, arrogant or disrespectful side. Of course that is highly unlikely as I'm pretty sure you are a humble, kind, respectful person. However, reading your litanies might make a person think you are kind of a conceited jerk. Maybe a bit of respect toward others might make people want to consider your points. Just a thought from someone who trusts you are probably good guy and your ridiculous posts simply misrepresent you.

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:59 am

loco4viento wrote:Hi Richard,

I think your "after you've learned to read" and "WTF is the matter with you" statements might make people think you are a bit on the condescending, arrogant or disrespectful side. Of course that is highly unlikely as I'm pretty sure you are a humble, kind, respectful person. However, reading your litanies might make a person think you are kind of a conceited jerk. Maybe a bit of respect toward others might make people want to consider your points. Just a thought from someone who trusts you are probably good guy and your ridiculous posts simply misrepresent you.
Hi Loco:

Thank you for your considerate and thoughtful post. Although it's more condescending than any of mine, I sincerely appreciate your taking the time and effort to explain to me that if I aggravate people by correcting them when they attribute incorrect statements and concepts to me, that then they won’t like me and they’ll get even by maintaining contrary positions which are seriously flawed.

Since you’re obviously at least as a good guy as me, and I have tremendous respect for your intelligent and thoroughly supported opinions, perhaps you’d help me by demonstrating your expertise at humble and convincing persuasion by detailing your analysis of one or two of my ridiculous posts. And please hold nothing back in fear that your perceptive criticism will cut too deep. When you’ve been a condescending, arrogant, disrespectful and conceited jerk as long as I have, you develop such a thick skin that even criticism from people as admirable and perceptive as yourself can be survived without permanent emotional scarring.

In fact, one of the most amazing and delightful things you learn by arguing with people who try to maintain unsupportable positions is that you know that they’ve admitted, at least to themselves, that they’re wrong , when they have to resort to meaningless personal attacks instead of coherent, organized thought.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:06 am

Hi Richard -

What exactly is it that you think you are acheiving here?

If it is to encourage people to see water access issues from a different perspective, it is self evident from this thread that your approach is entirely counter productive and has acheived nothing of any use.

If it is to try to use the forum to prove that you're better at winning an argument, regardless of the subject, then it is also self evident from this thread that you have failed entirely. Nobody has changed their views based on your rambling diatribes. Your posts are far too full of anger and far too defensive to succeed on this front.

You're simply coming across as a very angry man coming apart at the seams. I hope today is a better day for you.

All the best
Jonathan

ps....I see that you have moved from "raping your daughter" as an example of a threat, to "raping" with no specific gender assigned and now to "raping your dog". I'm intrigued as to what comes after dog?

Return to “Kitesurfing”