Rider: Weight 155
Level: Advanced
Style: wake, surf, free ride
Wind: 12-20 knots
Waves: 1m
Build: 10/10
Satisfaction: 9.8/10
Disclaimer: Ozone Kites USA sales manager

I have had a chance on the 10m Ozone REO the last 3 days in light to moderate wind ranging from 12- 20 knots, flat to choppy break. While I cannot make an accurate comment on the REO’s ability in decent surf due to living in the gulf, riding in flat water I was able to load the REO up and attain a solid pop which nearly rivals my C4. The turning speed and stability is where this kite really shines though. Even in gusty conditions this kite remained stable and allowed me to focus more on riding than flying. This stable feel alongside light to moderate bar pressure also ensures that even when focusing on riding I knew exactly where this kite was. I noticed that in comparison to the 5 strut C4 that this 3 strut kite has a slightly more pivotal turning radius, and instead of the consistent pull delivered from the C4 looping, a much friendlier loop which still provides a solid pull downwind through its turn. In my mind, this kite fly’s as though it has taken the ease of use from the Catalyst and mixed it with the speed and pop of the C4 while bringing more low end. This is not the hybrid style kite such as the all around Catalyst and more resembles the c-style shaping of the C4 with a lower aspect and squared off wingtips . The option of turning speed on the REO’s wingtip attachment allowed for even more speed through the turns, or when using the slowest turning speed it gave an even more stable feel ideally suited for wave riding. I personally felt very comfortable on the center attachment which is a great compromise between speed and stability and maintains both very well. The lack of pulleys gives an immediate and direct response which can often be required when navigating larger waves. Due to the kite staying a little further back in the window even when riding toward the kite, it stayed stationary in the window and merely drifted backwards maintaining line tension and awaiting my input. The REO while geared towards wave riding exhibits some of the best flying characteristics on the market, and will provide continued enjoyment from all that have the opportunity to try one. Don't believe the hype, because truly I would rather you not believe a word of this and just try this kite out for yourself. The feel of this kite is what truly separates Ozone from the rest.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First experience with the Ozone REO

Postby tswierkocki » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:35 am

I'm currently flying 2010 9M and 13M C4's. I'm looking to add a 7M C4 to the quiver.

Would the 6M Reo have the same lowend as the 7M C4?

OzoneKitesUSA
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wildcat
Favorite Beaches: SKI BASIN
Style: wake / free / mega / race / snow / land
Gear: Ozone C4 wake , CAT free, C4 mega , EDGE race , FRENZY snow , FRENZY land
Brand Affiliation: Ozone Kites USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: First experience with the Ozone REO

Postby OzoneKitesUSA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:17 pm

The 6m REO will have right about the same low end as the 7m C4, but faster and more stable imo.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Re: First experience with the Ozone Reo

Postby tswierkocki » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:13 am

I fully understand it is a wave kite but will it jump anything like the C4 on a non wave day?

One of my favorite things about the C4 is that it is a decent wave kite and also jumps to the moon on a waveless day.

johnlcostillo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: California
Favorite Beaches: California, Hawaiian Beaches
Style: Spin
Has thanked: 0

Postby johnlcostillo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:12 am

Nice story! :cool2:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 am

nah bro it wont jump to the moon. its a low aspect sle. it wont outjump the c4!
ps i haven't flown it one. but that doesn't matter the lower aspect the kite the worse it jumps.

But in 6m size i guess your flying in 30+knots and in those winds i look for a low aspect stable sle like the rio. Its on my list of kites to try.

luke-warmwater
Medium Poster

Postby luke-warmwater » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:31 am

Does anybody know what this means for the future of the Catalyst? Now we have the Reo, will we see the Catalyst dropped from the Ozone line-up or are they planning to keep both in prodution?

Return to “Kitesurfing”