Local Beach: Kailua
Style: Freestyle, waves
Gear: Vari
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Women Harnesses of the new decade

Postby gieves » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:02 am

Doing some research on harnesses for women and the last thread for women specific harnesses was in 2008. So I have a XS prolimit edge harness which seems to still be too big. I like very small harness presence. None of this high back crap. I'd like some feedback on the new Prolimit Eve if anyone has anything to say about it. Also the Maui Hana. And if any other women have harnesses they'd like to rave about, I'd like to hear!

Genevieve

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Re: Women Harnesses of the new decade

Postby Windrider » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:05 am

Lose the harness altogether. Go unhooked! (yeah, right.... never having tried it m'self...)

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:50 am

I'm guessing that we lost all the female members of the forum, G2Z. Not sure why you're not getting any takers. Unless the average kite woman is too shy to speak up.....
:rollgrin:

adriana
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oahu
Style: wave kiting

Postby adriana » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:27 am

I have the same problem. I weigh 100lbs and everything is too big for me.

I have been using the xs prolimit harness for over 2 years now and I love it!. It sit perfect on my waist and I love the quick release system from prolimit.

I never tried the Eve, mine is similar to the Edge.

I never tried the Dakine harness, but they also look pretty small

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:47 am

Call this place and talk to Jeff Howard about harness sizes:

http://www.kiteboarding.com/

m_glover
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pensacola Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Boards: 5'3" and 5'8" Underground Kipuna Freewaves, Underground Fish, Airush Sector 52

Kites: Airush Ones, Airush Lithiums
Brand Affiliation: kiteboardcafe.com
Underground and Airush Dealer

Postby m_glover » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:25 am

Genevieve,

Hi! I think I'm actually the one who started the thread you mentioned. Yeah, I didn't get much response when I was trying to decide which waist harness to buy back in 2008. Funny thing is, the one harness that 2 people recommended (The Maui Magic Hana) is the one I DIDN'T buy. Now, I would love to try it. If you end up buying it, let me know what you think about it!

I bought the Dakine Wahine back in 2008 and really liked it. Mainly, I got it because I could try it on and buy it locally. Really, my only complaint was that there wasn't a D ring to hook the leash on. I had to hook it on the handle pass attachment (which I don't need). It always seemed like my leash was getting caught up where I didn't want it. I ended up buying a stainless steel ring at the hardware store so my leash could slide back and forth on the handle pass attachment. I highly recommend the additional spreader bar pad (it was additional when I made my purchase, but Dakine's website makes it sound like the new Wahine comes with one).

Now, I'm using the Prolimit Pure Girl Eve. I bought it because I wanted to try something new. I've been enjoying it, but it doesn't seem to fit me perfectly. I'm almost wishing that I would have ordered a small instead of a medium. I'm 115 lbs and waist is 29". I bought the medium because my Dakine harness was a medium (The small Dakine was too small for me.). I also wanted to make sure to have plenty of room for winter wetsuit/drysuit layers and a life vest for big wave days. I love the inner stretchy neoprene belt, but it seems like I always get a buckle that develops about the middle of my session and presses into my side. Maybe this is princess and the pea, but it is annoying to me. I think this is because I can't get the inner belt tight enough on the size I bought. So far, I've only worn it with a rash guard. (Haven't tested it with the life vest, etc.) I do like the clip/release system better than the Dakine buckle. It is much easier to get on and off, but you have to be careful to keep the sand out of it. The Eve does have a larger profile than the Dakine Wahine but smaller than the Prolimit Edge.

Now, I would really love to give the Maui Magic Hana a go.

I hope this helped in some way!
Meagan

gieves
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: Freestyle, waves
Gear: Vari

Postby gieves » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 am

Look Charles! Not every lady wants to go harnessless.

Just to state what I'm working with, I am not curvy by any means. Tall and lanky but with enough hips that those men specific harnesses are no bueno

I've ordered myself the Maui Hana Harness off of Ebay for 45$ new. Deal! I'll be taking it out for a spin when it gets here. I figured it was worth trying. I always thought it was ugly, I'm going to attack it with sharpies when it gets here. This girl came and visited the beach with it on and it took up so little surface area on her body, I've decided to try it.

I've got the edge which comes up high on the back for me. They wanted to have 'back support.' Ick. I think it's stretching. It's a great harness for someone who needs the support, but I feel it being bulky if you're doing handle passes.

Never heard anything about the NPX. Anyone else?

Too bad your harness, prolimit eve, was too big Meagan, those things cost mega bucks. Come to Hawai'i. Wet suit no need!

I hear you on those little metal rings that they gip you on these harnesses! I've lost my kite down the bay not once, but twice because it magically unhooked from the rope. Urg. I'll heed your advice and pick one up at home depot.

I'll write a review when this harness comes in.

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:14 am

I use a HANA harness :lol: . It is a lot more comfy than the len10, firestarter, Warrior and every Dakine i tried.

Have it for a long time (3 years if i am not mistaking) and it still looks almost new.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 am

gieves wrote:Look Charles! Not every lady wants to go harnessless.
But, just imagine... unhooked on your Torch... makes a nice image, what?

:jump:

m_glover
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pensacola Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Boards: 5'3" and 5'8" Underground Kipuna Freewaves, Underground Fish, Airush Sector 52

Kites: Airush Ones, Airush Lithiums
Brand Affiliation: kiteboardcafe.com
Underground and Airush Dealer

Postby m_glover » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:44 pm

That was a screamin' deal you got. Cool, I'll look forward to your review.

Return to “Kitesurfing”