Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RRD Vision

Forum for kitesurfers
ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: RRD Vision

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 pm

In the 10m size where I have used both I find the religion a bit more pivoty and the vision a bit smoother. but get going the opposite direction pretty quick

Youtch
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Youtch » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:01 pm

One of the concern that I have with the Visio and that is currently literraly preventing me to buy this kite, is the color the kite has, and I am not talking about aesthetics (to which I don't give a shit) but about safety.

Kite with bright colors and that can be seen from very far can make difference between life and death if you have to be rescued far away from the shore.

I do not understand why kitebrand would be stupid enough to sacrify safety for aesthetics design.

Nobody is safe from a sudden change of wind direction preventing you to go back to the beach.
What will ensure your rescue or not, is the ability of people from the land, from the sea and from the sky to detect your kite, this is only possible with bright color.

Vision with its uniform blue, black and green that will blend perfectly with the sea and sky color is the archetype of a kite that would put your life in danger in case of trouble.

This subject could be a thread itself I guess as it applies to many kite brands.

I hope RRD get to rethink the color for the Visio in 2012, and propose models with brighter color, otherwise this kite will not be an option for me.

kovacs
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kovacs » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:18 pm

ptraykovski wrote:I have the 12 and 10.5 visions and smaller religions. Have not tried smaller visions yet

I really like the larger size visions. They work great for light air waves, with nice quick turning, very smooth power delivery, and good drift. With the light construction they float in the sky and climb back up very nicely in light air. Upwind is good also, they sit a a nice spot in the window, not too far forward, not too far back..just right! In the large sizes I prefer them to the religions but am probably sacrficing some durability for performance as the religions have super heavy duty dacron everywhere construction

Also fun freeride/freestyle kite, not as boosty/punchy as the obsession, more of a forgiving feel, but way better than the obs in the waves
can you give bit more comparsion between 10.5 and 12m high/low end and turning speed? Have flown 10.5 kite and it seems very sweet, but definately not the fastest flying or gruntiest kite, so i'm having doubts whether it is right decision to go 10.5+7 or better 12+9. I'm 75kg and for sub 15knots wind have another 14m kite. :-?

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:57 pm

kovacs wrote:
can you give bit more comparsion between 10.5 and 12m high/low end and turning speed? Have flown 10.5 kite and it seems very sweet, but definately not the fastest flying or gruntiest kite, so i'm having doubts whether it is right decision to go 10.5+7 or better 12+9. I'm 75kg and for sub 15knots wind have another 14m kite. :-?
I'm about 15 kg heavier than you and only use the 12 for the lightest winds, and use the 10.5 much more. the 10.5 is pretty close in low end and it is bit more reactive so I prefer it as soon as over 16 knots or so. At your weight if you all ready have a light air kite (14) go for the 10.5, that should a good step. the 12 would probably be too close to your 14. They are not super grunty (more smooth than grunty) but move around well enough and sit far back that I find get plenty of low end performance. Even at 215 lbs I use my 10.5 on both a twin or surfboard when others, some lighter than me, are on 12s and 14s.

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:07 pm

With your weight what is the bottom range of the 12m? What type of board do you use?

kovacs
Medium Poster

Postby kovacs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:01 am

tried this weekend 13.5 for first time and 10.5 for 3rd, for total 4 hours and my opinion is- Vision is real sweet and "smooth" kite, BUT its definately NOT too grunty or too powerful for its size and if you're looking for big hangtime/fast flying or agressive pull look better passion/obsession. Vision feels to me like it's a real mix between everyhing.

Was riding 10.5m in average 8-9m/s and sometimes was normaly powered, sometimes was barely getting back to where i started (as it seems wind was slowly decreasing), then took 13.5 and it was pure fun in such winds (no depower, for hooked in, for unhooked would likely pull in some bit). Later when winds dropped 6-8m/s, 13.5m was ok, and more later with 5-7m/s it was still nice riding, but having sometimes walk back where i started. As wind was side-on-shore there was some serious chop and 1-1.5m choppy waves and propably some current. Boards were Aboards X-Series 136x42, RRD Poison 134x43(?), Nobile NBL 134x39.

So, if anyone tells me, that 12m is for super light wind- either you are 60kg or ride extra flat water with big board or simply dont know what you're talking about. :D

Bottom line- ordered 12m, hope will get it in 2-3 weeks and then will post my opinions. :)

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:32 am

So, to sum, you are saying that Vision have quite a bad low end, which was the opposite of my initial expectations based on the shape.

Thank you very much for your information anyway, it is always worth to have real life feedback and share experience.

Looking forward to read your review of the 12m.

jonboykitesurf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pembrey
Favorite Beaches: pembrey
Llangennith
Pobbles
Style: waveriding
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: RRD

Postby jonboykitesurf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:56 am

The 12 m Vision definately has a good low end. About 11knots

http://vimeo.com/22656014

kovacs
Medium Poster

Postby kovacs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Youtch wrote:So, to sum, you are saying that Vision have quite a bad low end, which was the opposite of my initial expectations based on the shape.

Thank you very much for your information anyway, it is always worth to have real life feedback and share experience.

Looking forward to read your review of the 12m.
To be rightfully understood- low end for Vision is not bad, BUT i've seen better! It depends to whom you compare, but if you compare to Passion ('09) its definately better for passion (actually never seen kite to have better low-end, for the size ;) ). Also thing not to be underestimated are BOARD & CONDITIONS, not only wind speed!!!

Still- i really enjoyed the 13.5 as it actually feels like smaller kite and i could ride waves and kite drifted nicely and was stable all the time.

Return to “Kitesurfing”