Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Props to Naish and Venturi questions

Forum for kitesurfers
ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Props to Naish and Venturi questions

Postby ktouhey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:03 pm

I've been on the Venturi 190 for about 4 months now. here are a couple of pointers:

- set your footstraps very very tight. you want to get your feet as far out on the rail as possible, so that you are putting pressure "sideways" in to the fins, not down on to the rail like a twintip. You end up with really just your toes and the very front of your foot in the straps, unlike with other boards.
- play around with front-to-back footstrap positions for both feet. it can make a big difference.
- if you want to maximize the board, upgrade the fin set. It will make a BIG difference. both faster and easier to ride correctly.

go slow at first.
I'd agree with most of the comments above. If you've never ridden a race board, be careful not to kick the fins under water while you are floating next to the board.

if you are not used to a race board, chances are that the first few times you go for your powerdive you will push down on the windward rail as you would with a TT or surfboard. You'll learn quickly that this doesn't work. I'd agree with the comment for turning downwind a touch and more frontfoot pressure (eventually you don't need to turn downwind when you're comfortable).
If/when you do over pressure the windward rail, the board might feel like it want to buck you off.

Honestly if you get to this point, don't fight it or try to muscle the board up. It's too late. you'll just ding your board or yourself. Just jump clear of the board (probably flying over the front and downwind) and try again.

I would say though that as far as race boards go, the venturi 190 is a very easy starting point. Specifically, the larger venturi is the easiest.

good luck.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Went out today with the biggest one - 190x70 - with the Speed2 19 cos it was light wind ... 6 knots and falling. Not enough wind really I know but I was hoping it'd pick up - it didn't :(

So ... I kicked the fins, sunk the windward rail, stalled the tail, got lobbed over the other rail :D fun and games!

The one question I should have specifically asked, I didn't - how are you supposed to water start?!?

Struggled to get up on the board for a bit until I played around with different ideas ... I ended up with my backfoot in the strap on the rail, front foot in the center of the board (strapless!) and got up and riding like that ... bimbled along slightly downwind a bit but couldn't get it up to speed - wind was crap. And the weeds were like hitting a wall :(

Moved the rear strap to the center and it was easier to get up, but harder to ride. Then the wind dropped right off and I gave up.

Tomorrow maybe. Certainly, the board floats and the fins bite but I can really feel the drag from them, compared to the slippery door!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Went out today with the biggest one - 190x70 - with the Speed2 19 cos it was light wind ... 6 knots and falling. Not enough wind really I know but I was hoping it'd pick up - it didn't :(

So ... I kicked the fins, sunk the windward rail, stalled the tail, got lobbed over the other rail :D fun and games!

The one question I should have specifically asked, I didn't - how are you supposed to water start?!?

Struggled to get up on the board for a bit until I played around with different ideas ... I ended up with my backfoot in the strap on the rail, front foot in the center of the board (strapless!) and got up and riding like that ... bimbled along slightly downwind a bit but couldn't get it up to speed - wind was crap. And the weeds were like hitting a wall :(

Moved the rear strap to the center and it was easier to get up, but harder to ride. Then the wind dropped right off and I gave up.

Tomorrow maybe. Certainly, the board floats and the fins bite but I can really feel the drag from them, compared to the slippery door!
Put your back foot in the center of the board when you start in super light winds. Front foot always in the strap unless you tack. My rule of thumb is if I can fly the kite I can ride the board. The "biggest" danger is if I am out the wind died, and instead of keeping speed, I stall the kite if I fall. So I light wind I try to be extra careful making my turns.

Yes there will be drag. the bite in the fin is what will help you generate upwind apparent wind in the lightest conditions. :-)

It is a little easier if you have some power the first few times out.
A.

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfbali » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:19 pm

If you have seaweed in your spot you can put the Raceboard back in the shelve!!!
Or make your own seaweed fins.....
Bye Jankie

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm

tautologies wrote:The boards have a lot of volume so you can almost balance on them.
I did not find any spec on 190x70 board's volume, but it seems to be big. Say, if a 70kg person stands on it, does it still float?

Another question - if I want to ride reasonably long distances in choppy sea, how easy and comfortable it will be in comparison with a rounded twintip?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:10 pm

RalfsB wrote:
I did not find any spec on 190x70 board's volume, but it seems to be big. Say, if a 70kg person stands on it, does it still float?
Yes for sure. I am way more and it floats me. Note though I am used to standing on small board on my SUP, but in terms of volume it will float.
Another question - if I want to ride reasonably long distances in choppy sea, how easy and comfortable it will be in comparison with a rounded twintip?
Going super fast in ultra chop can be challenging. On windier days we generally have 1-2+ foot chop, going really fast makes you work for it. Going in ocean swell is fairly straightforward. Going as fast on a TT I would say is still impossible. In terms of riding long distance, I would rather take the race board in any condition over the TT even in chop.

There is a very big difference ebtween last years and this years in how it deals with chop. Can definitely notice a huge improvement. I kind of attribute that a lot to the fins, but the larger size will also sit better down on the water. I was a little hesitant about the size, but that fear went away really fast once I got on the board. :thumb: :thumb:

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks for the answers, I am really interested to try (just need to wait until all ice melts...). I am also considering alternatives, e.g a 'freerace' board like airush sector or north freerace, or a race twintip like flysurfer flyrace. But in this I guess one only knows his preferences by testing in real life.

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, & Moses Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:44 pm

For waterstarting, I found that pointing the board on or about 45 degrees downwind helps stops you getting catapulted over the board, as it starts moving as soon as you power up the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”