Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollmount, Sutton, Brittas Bay
Gear: Wainman Hawaii, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wainman 2012, new photos!

Postby murph68 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:21 pm

I wonder can you put the new swivel on the old bar easily enough? The old swivel is crap!

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:53 pm

I too am curious about the new swivel. I wonder if it truly will keep spinning in real-life sandy conditions, or if it may freeze up like pulleys do.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:35 am

Saami wrote:I too am curious about the new swivel. I wonder if it truly will keep spinning in real-life sandy conditions, or if it may freeze up like pulleys do.
Looks like the same type of swivel SlingShot uses. I've been using the one on my Slingy bar for my Fuel ( damn you Wainman release the Lou all ready ) for a year now. It has not stopped spinning yet. They do not just magically unravel though. They are better than the old mickey mouse swivels though.

Seriously why can't I have a 4 line C-Kite with single strut inflation? On my 4th onepump failure. This shit is redick!

Air Padre
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Style: strapless
Gear: c-kites
Brand Affiliation: Best, LF, Mystic, Ozone, Wainman, Spleene, Slingshot

Postby Air Padre » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:04 pm

We were able to snap some photos of the 2012 Carrot bar and the Wainman Hawaii Kites!

There is more photos on the wainman hawaii blog post, as well as written content regarding some improvements we saw in the 2nd generation equipment.

2012-wainman-hawaii-carrot-bar-at-surf-expo-2.jpg
Carrot Bar
2012-wainman-hawaii-carrot-bar-at-surf-expo-4.jpg
Swivel
2012-wainman-hawaii-carrot-bar-at-surf-expo-3.jpg
Wainman Carrot Bar

wondamic
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leadbetter and C-Street
Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding

Postby wondamic » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:30 am

:jump: :jump: :jump:

More please!

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:26 pm

ok so I had the new bar in my hot little hands last night!

have to say that the swivel DOES look like a great piece of kit..spins super free (we will see after 6 months of sand and salt but NOW its great) and I really like the IDEA of the leash line running up from the chicken loop, through the plastic tube, and then right up to one of the front lines..

in effect, the activation of the emergency release will flag your kite to one front line...duh...but in a VERY clean way which SHOULD, in theory, never be affected by how many front or back spins youve done in a session.

NOT real impressed with the soft, foamy bar ends though...hopefully they hold up to normal abuse....if a dog decided to chew on it for 2 minutes you would have a bar SANS bar end ...and it was NOT so easy to get a good wrap of the lines on them...i mean, im being picky here but I cant understand why they would make the bar ends so shallow and so soft...were there really THAT many kiters last year who lost an eye or broke a rib on their bar ends??

Currently I have the "new" rrd bar from 2011 and I have to WARN you all NOT to wrap the chicken loop tightly as it quickly will cause little holes and then tears in the plastic of the tubing. This has happened to me twice in less than a year (thought it was material defect first time, now i realize it was my fault) with the RRD tube which appears to be identicle (its black instead of transparent but is separated into 2 halves by a little "wall" that runs the entire length of the tube..which keeps your strong CHICKEN loop rope separated from your sliding "leash" rope inside the tube wall. If you have the new wainman bar, youll understand immediately what im talking about.

ANyway, I have the old (10 yrs) habit of, when I go to wrap up my lines, I pull the actual LOOP of the chicken loop up FLUSH with the bar, and then wrap the chicken loop ROPE plus one flying line first over one bar end and then go from there....so you can imagine that even though I wasnt pulling the tubing SUPER tight in a 90 degree turn around the bar end...the fact that the tubing stayed "kinked" both where it passes through the bar hole AND where it wrapped around the first bar-end...well, that EVENTUALLY caused little holes to appear in the tubing which, under constant tension of kiting, eventually turn into TEARS and then the plastic tubing just self destructs...

SO JUST a heads up..maybe you all want to keep the long plastic tube "dangling" under the bar when you wrap up your lines. It makes for a somewhat messy packup job which I dont like..and more pain in the ass to put it in and take out of the bag ...but your chicken loop tube should last longer that way.

Last question to those in the know...whats the point of having the SECOND front line connected to a tiny little "tab" of material that looks to also be made to flag the kite out?? I mean, its a GREAT idea, but why not have a SSring there or at least an "o shit" handle type loop of webbing that you could actually hang onto in an emergency (like if your LEASHED front line snapped I suppose??)

Is it not necessary with the front-line-flag system to have a "stopper ball" somewhere up the front line to STOP the bar from sliding all teh way to hte kite? Remember back in teh Ckite dayz how we always had a stopper ball on the REAR flagging lines so that...JUST IN CASE you wanted to try to relaunch after activating the emergency (like maybe you activated it by accident) you might not end up with a tangled mess of lines cause the bar could only slide HALFWAY up to the kite???

thanx for any insight..i REALLY like the bar and I think iif the swivel system holds up and doesnt tangle then WAINMAN has achieved a simple, elegant solution to many common problems in the bar system arena. good work!

kitesurfrabbi
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfrabbi » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:20 pm

[quote]Is it not necessary with the front-line-flag system to have a "stopper ball" somewhere up the front line to STOP the bar from sliding all teh way to hte kite?[/quote]

wainman kites come with line extensions.
the connection between the shorter extensions and the main lines serves as a stopper ball.

the extensions are down at the kite so the bar only slides some 5m up the lines.

if you use the kite on short lines you're right: then the stopper is missing. but if you are using the kite on short lines. chances are high, you're not using the frontline flagline sytem anyway.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:08 pm

thanx Rabbi...yes I supposed the larks head tween the 20s and the 4s would somewhat act as a stopper.

Since you were kind enough to answer one of the questions, could I repeat the question about the little "zipper tab" of material connected to the SECOND unleashed front line?

Is this SUPPOSED to be used as an alternate emergency? like an "oshit" handle but on the front lines? and, if so, wouldnt it be better to have a little SSRING to clip your leash to or at least a loop of webbing instead of the zipper tab?

just trying to be sure that it supposed to be used as a flagging device or, maybe, its just the way they decided to connect that front line to the swivel system...ie, INSTEAD of larksheading or some other "fixed" connection they just sewed the tab?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:18 am

chirojoseph wrote:thanx Rabbi...yes I supposed the larks head tween the 20s and the 4s would somewhat act as a stopper.

Since you were kind enough to answer one of the questions, could I repeat the question about the little "zipper tab" of material connected to the SECOND unleashed front line?

Is this SUPPOSED to be used as an alternate emergency? like an "oshit" handle but on the front lines? and, if so, wouldnt it be better to have a little SSRING to clip your leash to or at least a loop of webbing instead of the zipper tab?

just trying to be sure that it supposed to be used as a flagging device or, maybe, its just the way they decided to connect that front line to the swivel system...ie, INSTEAD of larksheading or some other "fixed" connection they just sewed the tab?
Nope it is just to hold the line so it will not pull through the swivel. It's the same setup on the SlingShot bars. I want to get me one of these bars though, but have to wait till I get a new smoke sometime next year.

Return to “Kitesurfing”